Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

IL2 1946 Aircraft...

Options
  • 28-10-2010 9:38am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,941 ✭✭✭

So what's your favorite aircraft? Everything I read suggests to pick one and stick with it for a while to develop skills good enough to fight online. I'm enjoying the F4, IL2 and Hurricanes but I'm unsure of which version or one to pick.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 602 ✭✭✭transylman

pclancy wrote: »
    So what's your favorite aircraft? Everything I read suggests to pick one and stick with it for a while to develop skills good enough to fight online. I'm enjoying the F4, IL2 and Hurricanes but I'm unsure of which version or one to pick.

Usually got my as handed to me on the online servers but I got most of my kills in the highest mark spitfire. Good firepower, great turning, rarely stalled, decent speed and you could whack it into wep for extended periods without overheating. Also liked the Me109 for its firepower but could never handle flaps well. Wasn't good enough to fly the FW190 with any success, it mainly being used by the better players for high altitude shoot and scoots.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,941 ✭✭✭pclancy

I was playing with the FW190 last night for a few hours just shooting down bombers in single player mode, awesome performance but quite tricky not to stall during tight turns or at low speed even with flaps out.

The spit definately does fly easier and is a good all rounder.

I discovered the Mig 9 last night as well thats a good laugh!

Does anyone fly online with Jets? The co-op games look good craic, can it be humans against AI doing bombing missions etc?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,107 ✭✭✭ytareh

Having your flaps down is a mortal sin 99% of the time in combat ...at least the school of air combat that would subscribe to "Energy" and 'Boom and Zoom' tactics would strongly discourage it .While many prefer to 'Turn and Burn' ie fly with stick yanked back in ever decreasing circles Energy tactics when properly executed will make you more or less invincible to the tight turners...Cant remember how many times Ive vaporised 'prop hangers' floating practically stationary in mid air with their flaps out -some even forget theyre out all the way and jam them making them even bigger sitting ducks .My advice ?Join an online squad!

You DO NOT make 'tight turns' in a 190!The planes which generally have a reputation as 'bad beginners planes' like the 190 are just not forgiving of slow speed flying ...as a VER OVERSIMPLIFIED rule of thumb fly 190 A4 vs for example Yak1 or 7 (NOT 1B) and NEVER let your speed drop below 300-350kmh(more like the latter) for ANYTHING ...you may be pleasantly surprised ...at the slightest hint of trouble just fly away and wait till you have a big enough gap(this may take a lot of time -its on your side now) then swing around (SLOWLY!) and go for him

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,456 ✭✭✭✭Mr Benevolent

J2M5 Raiden. Fast, great climb rate, brilliant maneuverability, hard to stall and good firepower.

However, hands down the best aircraft in the game is the Heinkel Lerche. A phenomenal aircraft but widely seen by most IL2 pilots as cheating. It never existed except as a concept on paper.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,781 ✭✭✭amen

I Like the 109, 190, P51, P40 ( for ruggedness), IL2 and Stuka.

A lot depends on which year you are flying in and what you are flying against.

You should avoid dropping flaps. Only time I would consider it if I have 1-2 planes on my six and can't shake them, power to 0, extend flaps and sharp pull up. 70-80% of the time those chasing will fly pass, then its flaps ups power on and you are on their six.

Height is always good as more energy.

If you dive down take one pass then go back up wait an down again. Don't panic and don't rush.

If you are in an il2 or stuka you can out turn a lot of planes.

If you are flying with others in il2s/stuaks and you are under attack then either tight circles or your fly in opposite direction tight circles. This way the attacking air craft can only attack one il2 and as he does the il2 not under attack should come out on the 6 of the attacking aircraft.

if doing ground attack in an il2 consider setting your gun/cannons convergence to 400m or more and cutting engine power as you attack.

for fighters I normally set my gun/cannon convergence to 100-150m.

Have you tried hyperlobby ?

• Advertisement

Yep have played on Skies of valour a bit and chatted to some good pilots through Teamspeak. Haven't got ANY kills yet or lasted more then a few minutes but the learning is good. I need a joystick with a twist or rudder pedals too.

I need a joystick with a twist or rudder pedals too

while nice you don't. And you don't need TrackIR either.

They do help but you can still kill without them. Patience.

Also read up on fighter tactics and manouvers such as a split s etc

To be honest its more for taxying on the ground that I want better rudder control :)

And crosswind landings :)

I'm working on not getting stuck in never ending turns that just get you nowhere except having bullets up your ass. Last night in the 190 I would try and focus on lining up on my enemy during fast climbs or dives and shooting at them that way, extending out of the furball when it got too messy. Staying on peopels tails I find easisest but just exactly matching their wing movements and using flaps to brake and not stall if they try and slow down too much.

There are some excellent pilots out there making each fight a good lesson! I want to get into ground attack too and try join some coop missions to learn ground attack skills. Will get to the online FI matches if I can get up early enough!

To be honest its more for taxying on the ground that I want better rudder control

lock your tail wheel on take off. (remember to unlock on landing).
    Last night in the 190 I would try and focus on lining up on my enemy during fast climbs or dives

pick a target zoom down and pick a point a little behind and below him
    then up towards him and let him have it (wing root is always good).
    I want to get into ground attack too
    Ahh ground pounding. My favourite

amen wrote: »
    lock your tail wheel on take off. (remember to unlock on landing).

True I must try that..but surely you need to use the wheel to keep lined up as you accellerate and the prop starts generating torque? Do you lock the wheel above a certain airspeed and just use the rudder? I guess that would be enough directional force once you're moving fast enough.

My next questions go to what Mods to people think are esential for online play and to improve graphics etc?

• Advertisement

You don't need your tail wheel on take off.

Just a little bit of rudder.

As mods there is the Unified HSX mod or the Ultra Pack mod.

I normally use the unified hsx mod. There is meant to be an offical patch release but no news.

Storm of War:Battle of Britain (BOB) their next generation game based on the battle of britain is mean to be released in Feb 2010 but we have been waiting five years so don't hold your breath.

While BOB looks excellant initially there will be a vey small plane set compare to IL2.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,107 ✭✭✭ytareh

One of the many 'hidden secrets ' of IL2 is that the wheel brakes are 'bound to' the rudder .So if you want to turn right taxiing you press the brake key (B?) while turning rudder right.This will engage the brakes on the right wheel only -some planes are next to impossible to take off in without this info...

on a multi engine plan you can also turn on the ground by setting the power to more on one of the engines

Advertisement