Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

How you choose your morals/principles?

• 28-10-2010 9:39am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,708 ✭✭✭

With all these religious/science threads popping up it got me thinking. My morals/principles were pretty in place by the time I was old enough to consider them, like I was taught don't steal, don't be violent etc. Now when a moral issue comes up I usually think it over by considering it from the following angles;

- What would happen if everyone did this thing?

- Who would it hurt, disadvantage etc?

- Am I interferring in someone else's life by doing this thing?

I try to go by live and let live. Just wondering how everyone else does it, I'd be interested to hear how different people consider moral issues and make up their minds.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,466 ✭✭✭Snakeblood

curlzy wrote: »
    With all these religious/science threads popping up it got me thinking. My morals/principles were pretty in place by the time I was old enough to consider them, like I was taught don't steal, don't be violent etc. Now when a moral issue comes up I usually think it over by considering them from the following angles;

I try to go by live and let live. Just wondering how everyone else does it, I'd be interested to hear how different people consider moral issues and make up their minds.

I'd be largely similar. Follow the Golden Rule. And Bill and Ted's Be Excellent To Each Other, of course.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,866 ✭✭✭Adam

i ask courage wolf.

and in before wwjd.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,872 ✭✭✭strobe

I basically work off a variant of the non-aggression principle, a kind of anti-coercion system of ethical behaviour. It precludes "(from wiki)the "initiation" of physical force against persons or property, the threat of such, or fraud upon persons or their property. In contrast to pacifism, the non-aggression principle does not preclude defense."

So yeah, a constantly evolving form of the above.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,327 ✭✭✭Sykk

Well I didn't learn much off my parents. More my brothers and sisters who had enough cop on to do the right things.

I suppose looking learning from other peoples mistakes would be my ones.. I learned from my own but still hasn't stopped me from making some of the same ones twice all the same :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,241 ✭✭✭Sanjuro

What would Jesus do?

Ha! But seriously, I try to put myself in the other person's position. How would I feel if I was stabbed, murdered, robbed, conned, etc. Obviously these moral conundrums don't come up very often.

Only when there's a full moon.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

Does it profit me materially, socially or sexually?

Can I get away with it?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,348 ✭✭✭nozzferrahhtoo

Just wondering how everyone else does it, I'd be interested to hear how different people consider moral issues and make up their minds.

I think something I wrote some time ago might be relevant to you if you are interested:

http://www.atheist.ie/2009/02/the-immorality-of-claiming-morality/

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

If I wouldnt want this done do me.. .I wouldn't do this to someone else...

er... how hard can that be?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,598 ✭✭✭✭prinz

I usually think, what would p*ss off nozzferrahhtoo the most..... and do that.

Well at least I am having SOME influence huh :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,872 ✭✭✭strobe

I think something I wrote some time ago might be relevant to you if you are interested:

http://www.atheist.ie/2009/02/the-immorality-of-claiming-morality/

I broadly agree with you, I made a ham fisted attempt at making the same point here http://boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=68604061&postcount=27. There is a shipwreck in mine, and beef jerky :pac:

It explains why you have the moral/ethical/whatever system you do and how you came about it. But do you suggest what you say as a good basis for a moral system? You behave in the way you want society to behave. What of someone that wants a society where the strong take from the weak? Would they not consider themselves morally justified in murdering, raping and pillaging their way through life?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,941 ✭✭✭thebigbiffo

basic values are instilled on you by your parents and your surroundings - so it all depends on the society you live in. for example, if you lived in rio's favelas you would probably think nothing of robbing or dealing drugs or worse to get by but in a different moral setting those values change and whats acceptable there becomes taboo. humans are social creatures, we are influenced to a huge degree by what we see around us.

strobe wrote: »
    It explains why you have the moral/ethical/whatever system you do and how you came about it. But do you suggest what you say as a good basis for a moral system? You behave in the way you want society to behave. What of someone that wants a society where the strong take from the weak? Would they not consider themselves morally justified in murdering, raping and pillaging their way through life?

I wish I had worked shipwrecks and beef Jerky into mine!

You are broadly right, but I also appeal to democracy in my essay as well. If someone thinks that the strong should trample the weak then so be it, let them voice that opinion and see how far it gets them and I will see them down the voting booth on voting day.

The point I was making is that our shared human condition means that the consensus on the biggest issues are often so broad that it gives the illusion of objective morality to some. There are many issues, such as the ones you reference, where our desires for society give such a vast consensus that I really do not care if someone wants to stand up and say he thinks murder and rape are ok. Let him voice that opinion and let him vote on it.

In fact, if that is what that person thinks, I would rather hear him say it up front than have him hide it. Better the devil you know huh? :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,663 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

I take whatever the Church or the religius freaks say, and d othe opposite. So yeah - live and let live here, as well.

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,272 ✭✭✭✭Standard Toaster

Just ask yourself what would MacGyver do?
    Has always worked for me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,598 ✭✭✭✭prinz

Well at least I am having SOME influence huh :)

Probably not as much as you'd like. I usually go down the 'what's best for society' route too. ;)

Still a foot in the door is a foot in the door prinz :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 433 ✭✭Rocky_Dennis

Treat people how you would like to be treated yourself and you won't go too wrong.

Treat people how you would like to be treated yourself and you won't go too wrong.

Indeed a good motto on paper, but it is worth noting that this catchphrase can only be as good as the person saying it. There are those we could name that I would very much hope they do not treat people like they themselves wish to be treated.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,659 ✭✭✭CrazyRabbit

Make it up as I go along. Whatever suits the situation. That way, you don't have to worry about that annoying conscience.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 433 ✭✭Rocky_Dennis

Indeed a good motto on paper, but it is worth noting that this catchphrase can only be as good as the person saying it. There are those we could name that I would very much hope they do not treat people like they themselves wish to be treated.
    You hit the nail on the head.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,562 ✭✭✭scientific1982

My own conscience/ the golden rule.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,775 ✭✭✭✭kfallon

I often picture myself in scenarios and think, "What would I do here?" and when I formulate a response I know if I do the exact opposite of what I thought of I will have some sort of decent moral or principle to live by :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,562 ✭✭✭scientific1982

basic values are instilled on you by your parents and your surroundings - so it all depends on the society you live in. for example, if you lived in rio's favelas you would probably think nothing of robbing or dealing drugs or worse to get by but in a different moral setting those values change and whats acceptable there becomes taboo. humans are social creatures, we are influenced to a huge degree by what we see around us.
    Thats true but id say people in those circumstances know what they're doing is wrong and most would choose a different path if given the chance. Id say that morality is primarily innate.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,629 ✭✭✭raah!

With all these religious/science threads popping up it got me thinking. My morals/principles were pretty in place by the time I was old enough to consider them, like I was taught don't steal, don't be violent etc. Now when a moral issue comes up I usually think it over by considering it from the following angles;

Why do you consider it from those following angles? Do you think it a bit odd that you have "chosen" pretty much those exact same principles which government/religion/neurochemicals would choose for you?

Edit: the word 'principles' is inappropriate when describing how one would act if one's actions were to be solely dicated by what feels good or doesn't feel good, that's what I meant there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,453 ✭✭✭Shenshen

As long as all are informed and give consent, it's ok ;)

Mostly though I have to say I follow the Golden Rule, treat others as you would want to be treated were you in their place.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,453 ✭✭✭Shenshen

Thats true but id say people in those circumstances know what they're doing is wrong and most would choose a different path if given the chance. Id say that morality is primarily innate.

I thin k the most basic principles are innate, things like killing, stealing, hurting others.
    It does tend to get a bit murky when you got to the finer points, such as drug dealing.

And a lot of societies reserve their morals exclusively for members of their own group, so while killing is of course wrong, killing somebody from outside the group is not that bad really.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 8,490 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fluorescence

I try to do what I believe to be good, and hope for the best.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,272 ✭✭✭Barna77

Every Driday after work, with a quick pick I choose my morals for the weekend. I have high standards you see

Advertisement