Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Insuring an unoccupied commercial premises?

Options
  • 28-10-2010 9:48am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,783 ✭✭✭

Does anyone know anyone who will do this? Made several phone calls and none will do it. Just want insurance against fire. Would very much appreciate any leads.
    Danke
    F

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,558 ✭✭✭kaiser sauze

Have you contacted any brokers?

They might be a good start and if they don't do what you are looking for they might know someone who does.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,783 ✭✭✭Freiheit

I spoke to broker earlier and he gave me no hope at all. Said that a lot of unoccupied premises are uninsured.:(

Is there any security firm watching it? Monitored CCTV?

If it is empty and not being regularly checked the companies will be nervous, arguably rightly so.

If you ever read the small print on a regular home insurance policy, you can't be leaving the premises vacant for 90 continuous days (typical) otherwise your policy would become invalid. I'm guessing a similar term is coming into play in your situation.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,783 ✭✭✭Freiheit

I don't have either no.....I may enquire about a mobile security firm? the guys who go around it vans every hour?. There is a shop across the road that may pick up my premises on their camera but I have none.

When I asked you had you any kind of security I was just digging a little so I can break in and squat in the premises.

j/k :D

Seriously, before you commit to anything with a security firm, ensure that it would allow you get insurance.

OR

You could acknowledge that you cannot get insurance and use the money you would have paid in premia to pay for a security firm to keep a watch on it. Security can be expensive, so you will have some decision to make.

Best of luck!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,754 ✭✭✭oldyouth

Try Aiken & Co. (not related in any way but I know they can do it, at a price)

http://www.aikenco.ie/INSURANCE/INSURANCE/Unoccupied_Properties_%28UPI%29.html

• Registered Users Posts: 1,547 ✭✭✭funkyjebus

rsa and liberty IU are the two when it comes to unoccupied premises. altough you will need to go through a broker for either.
    but dont expect better cover than fire lightening explosion and aircraft, thats all that you will get.

Advertisement