Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dog seems generally unwell

Options
  • 28-10-2010 11:00am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 16,658 ✭✭✭✭

Hey guys,

Just seeing if anybody has any info/advice. We have a 3 year old West Highland Terrier who seems to be a bit under the weather to past fortnight. He's a lot quieter than usual - seems almost mopey if you get me - and has thrown up a few times. If you've ever had those vomiting sessions where you have a load of dry heaves before you actually throw up, it's like that. He'll do this every couple of days or so. We took him to the vet a couple of days ago to get his booster shot, and he said it's just the weather (:confused:) which I don't really buy. We haven't changed his diet or anything, eating the same stuff he always eats. Sometimes he's in great form, chasing us around the house or playing with his toys, but a lot of the time he just seems a bit meh. He's getting plenty of exercise too, he gets a walk every day and is let outside to go about his business. He also gets taken for the occasional drive so I dont think it's boredom, not that that would explain the throwing up.

Anybody reckon they know what the problem could be?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 657 ✭✭✭portgirl123

Sorry cant help but i would go back to vet and demand prob check. if still not hapy i would get 2nd opinion. This does not seen right at all. trust your instints and get some advise straight away. A couple of weeks of vomiting and general unwell is def not right

• Registered Users Posts: 1,846 ✭✭✭barbiegirl

Agree back to vet. You know your dog, you know when he's not well, insist or look for a second opinion.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 430 ✭✭boxerly

"the weather" ?? wouldnt buy that at all:).There is alot of gastro bugs going in dogs at the minute.My boxer had it last year and was mopey vomiting,runs etc.I went to vets and he ended up on a drip for 2 days because he was dehydrated.I would go to another vet if you arent happy but would go ASAP.It could be something else.Maybe he ate something that is stuck?Better safe than sorry xx

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭Myyra

Is there any chance that he could have eaten something poisonous? Maybe something around the house or garden? Or is his neutered or not?Could it be something to do with hormones?
    Sounds pretty serious, I'd definately take him back to different vet asap, wouldnt really trust someone who blames "the weather" for something like that!:confused: Good luck!

• Registered Users Posts: 358 ✭✭carleigh

My dog was in a similar situation last month. He is a 12 year old Golden Cocker, and still full of energy, but he had definitely quietened down, and I noticed he had gotten sick a few time. Because we have an enclosed back garden, I dont think I picked up on it until a couple of days after it started to happen. he also went off his food. He's never been a big eater, but he was eating practically nothing and one night he woke me up during the early hours and vomited in the hallway.

So the next day we went to see the vet. He didnt have a temperature, but the vet has treated out dog for the past 12 years and knows what a bouncy fella he is, so he knew he was under the weather. He gave him 2 jabs and some medication for the next few days, and said he wasnt to get any exercise for the next 3 days.

Then on the 4th day, we went for a short walk and he passed blood, very scary, so back to the vet again, he gave him 2 more shots and different medication and prescribed special tinned food, and we havnt looked back since! It took him a few weeks to get over it.

The vet suggested the possibility of him getting poisoned, but we will never know. He wasnt exactly at deaths door, but obviously it was very upsetting to see such a healthy dog moping around. Thankfully we have not had to go back to the vet since, as he is pretty mkuch back to normal, he said it could have been a gastro infection, but he is due to get his yearly jabs next month so he is going to take some blood samples to rule out anything more sinister.

For now, we have just cut down his exercise slightly on the vets advice, as after all, he is pushing 13! And we monitor what he eats and what he passes on his walks. It makes for interesting chat over the cornflakes in the morning!

Sorry for the rant, but from my experience, and to put your mind at rest, seek a 2nd opinion. You know your dog better than anyone, and putting it down to the weather is a bit weird! Get well soon doggie!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,596 ✭✭✭anniehoo

Straight back to the vet OP, a different vet though. For one to say "its the weather" is just ridiculous. Dogs wear their "heart on their sleeve" i.e they dont hide when theyre unwell and we all know when theyre off form. Its impossible to say from what you've described what it could be. It could be the start of a virus or infection which is sapping his energy. Explain every little change in his behaviour to the vet and if on the second opinion they still dont think anythings up, monitor him until hes back on top form.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,187 ✭✭✭✭IvySlayer

I have a Westie too. He's a mental yoke.

Go to a different vet. If he's vomiting he has eaten something he shouldn't that he probably can't pass. Did the vet take his temperature? Is he fully wormed?

• Registered Users Posts: 8 squa79

my dog has been the very same, he is only starting to come around now, after three weeks, he had no energy, vomited a couple of times and had terrible runny poos.. we were at the vets twice with him, first time it was just the run's - vet reckoned he had ate something he shouldn't have..(throw a bone in a 20 acre field and this fella will find it in a flash... :) ) Vet told us to feed him bolied chicken and rice for a few days and see.. but after 5 days he was passing blood .. alot of blood ...so straight back down, Vet said it was a gastro bug.. little bit of medication and plenty of belly rubs and he is back to his normal cheeky self!!

mine is sick today, she's been sick a bit this week but was great yesterday, today sleepiing non stop and vomitted again. Chicken and rice tonight and we'll see tomorrow about vet if she passes any blood or becomes worse

• Registered Users Posts: 1,083 ✭✭✭sambuka41

My Westie used to get like that from time to time, they have the most sensitive stomachs. I would imagine it something that he has eaten,does he ever eat bones? Even the ones from the pet shop made my lad ill. But it did require an injection from the vet to stop the vomiting.

What would the weather have to do with vomiting?? :confused: Maybe the fireworks, my little guy would get in an awful state around this time of the year.

• Advertisement

See the comments below this article,
    http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1324503/Queen-calls-vets-investigate-deadly-animal-virus-Sandringham-estate.html
    Has anyone gotten their dog vaccinated against the new strain of Parvo or has their vet suggested it?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,899 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

Get a new Vet. I would not trust anyone who blamed the weather !. Get a second opinion soon.

Yes my Vet did mention the new Parvo & insisted that my pup was vacced. She didn't suggest any addition vacs for my other dogs that are older than the pup.

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭Myyra

Any update on this? Hope your poor doggie is feeling better and you've found a new vet for him?:)

Advertisement