Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

gaming after the arrival of your first child

Options
  • 28-10-2010 11:01am
    Registered Users Posts: 9,795 ✭✭✭

we are due our first progeny in december and as a lover of my wii, 360 and ps3 I have been told by many that this will be the end of my 'childhood' (tskk :mad:)
    anyways, have any of ye in the same boat managed to keep up with your hobby?

cheers

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,565 ✭✭✭✭Tallon

Think about growing up with your parents into games!

Keep playing them if you can :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,346 ✭✭✭Rev Hellfire

Like everything else in life your gaming has to simply adjust itself to your new found responsibilities. But you have the added bonus that in a few years you'll be able to write off games bought as 'presents' for the nipper :D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,547 ✭✭✭Agricola

Well Id imagine the common story for gamer parents is that you can keep it up, but the amount of time you can devote to it will be severely affected. Not because you feel you have to slacken off on it, but because there simply wont be much time for anything else!

Speaking as someone with no commitments of any kind in this department, all i can say is ................Ha Ha! ;)

I friend of mine who is a big gamer knows all about it though. Now whenever I meet him and tell him about the latest and greatest games Im playing, he looks at me with a mixture of sadness and jealously!

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭thebull09

Ah the baby will love to watch all the weird and wonderful graphic on the telly it will kep him/her quite so its a win win you get to play your games and the child is quite lol

BTW congrats

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,679 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hellrazer

I think I actually gamed a bit more when our lot were born.

I used to play 1942/Desert combat/BF2 online and used to wait up until the 2.00 am / 3.00am feed and just keep playing till that was due.

So do yourself a favour and "volunteer" to do that feed and you wont miss out too much ;);)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 414 ✭✭ElBarco

In my experience (10 month old wrecking the house now) you get less time but you enjoy what you get even more.

The first couple of months I didn't touch a game but once the sleeping pattern settles down you'll be flying. The house is our own again after 7.30 so that's when you can fire ahead.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,893 ✭✭✭Canis Lupus

Keep gaming and let the girlfriend/wife take care of the baby. That's what they're there for silly.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,870 ✭✭✭Grumpypants

You may find time to game when your getting up for the late night feeds when you cant get back to sleep, but you will then find jam on your controller and a slice of toast in the disk drive.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,995 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

Don't expect to be good at them after a while.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,845 ✭✭✭Jet Black

When we had our first child I barely had time to play any more. I was wrecked tired from working 12 hours shifts and night feeding. It was only after about 4 years I got back into gaming. With her starting school I could put her to bed at 8 and have the rest of the night to play. One good thing was after 4 years I picked up a lot of good games cheap. Try and keep your consoles, I just sold mine as I was told the same thing by my gf, that games are for children and foolishly listened:-(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,673 ✭✭✭✭senordingdong

Parenting is like a game.

Or just get the kid into it.
    This way you will always win at Street Fighter

• Registered Users Posts: 10,216 ✭✭✭✭DARK-KNIGHT

we had our baby last november our first....

i play daddy during the day and evening and i OWN THE SITTING ROOM BETWEEN 10 AND 1 AT NIGHT LOL..

i dont game less in fact i game more as dont go to the pub at all now so say goodbye to drink and hello to gaming my friend....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,565 ✭✭✭✭Tallon

we had our baby last november our first....

i play daddy during the day and fight crime in the evening .

fyp

• Registered Users Posts: 1,742 ✭✭✭Branoic

My father didn't give up watching Telly when I was born, and his father didn't stop listening to the wireless when he was born. I doubt my child will stop using the VR Simulator whenever his / her child is born in a few decades.

Anybody who says in this day and age that gaming is for children needs to stfu and be reminded that the average age of gamers today is 30-something. It's a perfectly legitimate past time and should not be affected by the arrival of a child more than any other past time. That's obviously not to say that it won't be affected - because everything will, but it shouldn't be singled out as "childish" because thats simply not true.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,288 ✭✭✭✭ntlbell

Don't worry, you won't have the energy to lift the controller :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 10,216 ✭✭✭✭DARK-KNIGHT

Tallon wrote: »
    fyp
    LOL;)

• Registered Users Posts: 552 ✭✭✭Stylesclash07

I have two kids and i still play a bit not as much as i used to. Sometimes i play with them up and they love to join in they love the wii and my youngest loves to play sonic its hard to believe hes playing what i played as a kid

• Registered Users Posts: 10,673 ✭✭✭✭senordingdong

Co-op campaigns ftw!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,528 ✭✭✭Lucious Sweet

Didn't play at all for the first couple of months after the nipper was born but now he is 10 months old and by the time he is in bed and I've cleaned up after dinner it's 20:30, so from then to 23:30 is gaming heaven.
    Gone are the marathon game sessions until the wee hours or even day break, but that's probably a good thing :D

• Registered Users Posts: 12,540 ✭✭✭✭Varik

Geek it up and buy a PS3 Move controller for a rattle(minus the noise)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,295 ✭✭✭✭Duggy747

Buy a console as a christening gift for it and just say you need to make sure it works until it's old enough to play it. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 12,013 ✭✭✭✭jaykhunter

You won't get sleep during the 1st year let alone time to game!

But maybe when your son/daughter is 4-5 you should get them into gaming! So you can spend time with them AND play video games! Thinking games like Kirby's Epic Yarn would be ideal.

I imagine you'd have to calm down on time to game but you can find/make time to keep it up. Just not on the same amount. i do know of a guy who spends no time with his kids (plural) and just games all day. It's really sad.

• Registered Users Posts: 83,313 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Wii Burping comes out in February

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 clawless

You might even find that your desire to game deminishes as you enjoy the new addition to your family!

Just sayin'.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,477 ✭✭✭✭Raze_them_all

clawless wrote: »
    You might even find that your desire to game deminishes as you enjoy the new addition to your family!

Just sayin'.
    Blasphamy!! Begone!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,983 ✭✭✭Darksaga87

My first is due in april.

Kid can sit there and watch me game. pfft. feeding. "after this level."

"after this boss".

What was it i had to do again??

Oh yeah, order pizza and get some beer. Whats that noise??

• Registered Users Posts: 6,710 ✭✭✭Monotype

Of course you have to keep gaming to keep up the practice. Otherwise they'll beat you in all the games by the time they're age 6... as opposed to 9.

• Registered Users Posts: 83,313 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Oh by the way:

http://gizmodo.com/5675347/woman-kills-baby-for-interrupting-farmville-session
    A 22 year-old woman from Jacksonsville, Florida has pleaded guilty to killing her baby son over a game of...Farmville.

Alexandra V. Tobias says her three-month old child, Dylan Lee Edmondson, had been crying while she was trying to play the popular Facebook casual game. This angered Tobias, who told authorities that she shook the baby, had a cigarette to calm herself down, then shook him again. It's believed he "may have hit his head during the shaking".

Dylan's death was classified as second-degree murder, a charge that carries the possibility of a life sentence in prison.

Jacksonville mom who shook baby for interrupting computer game pleads to murder [Florida Times-Union]

Send an email to the author of this post at plunkett@kotaku.com.
    Republished from http://kotaku.com
    Do not play farmville

• Registered Users Posts: 414 ✭✭ElBarco

Overheal wrote: »

Just to be clear - don't do this.

Unless it's a really, really, really important bit you can't pause.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,078 ✭✭✭fenris

Co-op games are not an option as you will be constantly interupted by your other half and it will always be urgent, so casual shooters like MW2 are okay (its not like anybody plays as a team anyway!) as you are just dead for a while as opposed to leaving your clan in the lurch if you play WoW or BF2 type games.

you can get a good burping type activity going if you prop the sprog across your knee and use their back as a mouse mat.

Advertisement