Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

gaming after the arrival of your first child

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,910 ✭✭✭Sisko

sweetie wrote: »
    we are due our first progeny in december and as a lover of my wii, 360 and ps3 I have been told by many that this will be the end of my 'childhood' (tskk :mad:)
    anyways, have any of ye in the same boat managed to keep up with your hobby?

cheers

Really can't stand that ignorant attitude. Its just as stupid as saying "Oh your having a baby? Guess you can't watch tv, read a book or go to see films anymore, after all you have to grow up now."

Feckin eejits.

• Registered Users Posts: 572 ✭✭✭R.F.

I see no reason why it should end your gaming career. I have a 3 year old and apart from the initial couple of months (were obviously you will be hindered a bit), once they settle down what is stopping you playing in the evening and night time?

If you play games 24/7 yes, you will have a problem. But if its for a couple of hours a night you will have no problems at all. In fact I would encourage it as as we all know it is a great way to unwind.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,466 ✭✭✭Snakeblood

we are due our first progeny in december and as a lover of my wii, 360 and ps3 I have been told by many that this will be the end of my 'childhood' (tskk :mad:)

cheers

Sort of. get bite sized games. Buy a decent headphone set too, so you don't wake the baby. Actually, if the baby is awake at night, you can play. I'lve had a few 4 o'clock in the morning sessions with the baby perched on my shoulder.

• Registered Users Posts: 572 ✭✭✭R.F.

Snakeblood wrote: »
    Sort of. get bite sized games. Buy a decent headphone set too, so you don't wake the baby. Actually, if the baby is awake at night, you can play. I'lve had a few 4 o'clock in the morning sessions with the baby perched on my shoulder.

Erm, not a good idea if you want to hear the baby. Just turn your sound down a bit

• Registered Users Posts: 12,540 ✭✭✭✭Varik

If the baby is with you at least all the crying and screaming you'll hear when you play cod/halo/fps in general will be justifies and not because someone is not doing as well as they'd liked.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,013 ✭✭✭✭jaykhunter

*starts to read article*

*sees it's someone from America*

*shrugs shoulders*

:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 10,673 ✭✭✭✭senordingdong

jaykhunter wrote: »
    *starts to read article*

*sees it's someone from America*

*shrugs shoulders*

:pac:

yeah, and it was only Farmville.

Imagine if she had been playing WoW.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,699 ✭✭✭deathrider

Create a gamertag for the wee one as soon as he/she is born. Problem solved :p

• Registered Users Posts: 8,438 ✭✭✭RedXIV

Have a 3 month old in the house and have had to allocate a Gaming night (tonight! Whoo!) once a week to ensure I don't miss anything. have had a chronic build up though. i've SEVEN games that haven't even been taken out of the wrapper yet. It disgusts me....

• Registered Users Posts: 3,135 ✭✭✭fifth

Say goodbye.. The only way I get to game now is if I get the OH interested in the game I'm playing. Then she'll feed while I play. Bought fable 3 on release, barely touched it.

*SIGH*

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

I only got really into playing console games after I had my kids as it was possible to breastfeed and play with a controller but not use a mouse and keyboard.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,673 ✭✭✭✭senordingdong

Thaedydal wrote: »
    I only got really into playing console games after I had my kids as it was possible to breastfeed and play with a controller but not use a mouse and keyboard.

Brilliant image.
    Someone should release a simulator.

• Registered Users Posts: 280 ✭✭Jenroche

GAME OVER :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,833 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

From my experience, neither my 360, Wii or even my DS have been switched on since the arrival of my little girl 6 months ago. I simply don't have the time apart from when I'm down in the brother in laws and can steal an hour or two. My Xbox Live membership expired months before that and the new Mario Galaxy has had only one play. I don't even bother checking what new games are out as I know there's no point in buying them as I don't have time to invest in them.

You come home from work, feed the baby which is more fun than games anyway, get her to bed and then feed yourself before you and your wife can relax for the evening catching up on t.v. and stuff. Then when it's bedtime you're glad of it, you don't stay up to sneak a few games in as you know you have an early start in the morning, or if you're unlucky will have to get up in only a couple of hours.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭blaze1

cheers

it does change things slightly, but you should be good for the first couple of months at least.. after feeds and nappy changes all they really do is sleep...
    mines 3 now, so most of my sessions are late night now..
    just remember if your mates hound you constantly like mine did, they'll have kids one day and return the favour :pac:

Advertisement