Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Anyone try Rustic Stone yet?

Options
  • 28-10-2010 11:01am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 37

INterested to see what the reviews are like. It's very near to me and I used to love going for brekkie in Soho on a Sunday, was devo when it went. New place is constantly jammers though.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,678 ✭✭✭nompere

• Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭sandy_c

Was there a few weeks ago, really enjoyed. I know i paid to cook my own steak but i have to say the steak was quality!! It is a little pricey but we were there for a special occasion and was worth it.

The menu is a bit daunting loads of symbols etc he suggests wines to go with each meal etc I had the blow torched prawns for starters and they were delish and had such a delicious salad with it.

Enjoyed the meal while feeling that i didn't gorge myself!

• Registered Users Posts: 788 ✭✭✭hick

I'd give it a 6/10

first off, liked the decor and ambiance, was well thought out and nice to be in. For the most part the staff were good, they've certainly chilled out as compared to mint and they seem to have fun there, one issue though is that the menu is large and over complicated, and the waiters as part of the intro will come back and explain how it works, we found it a bit condescending really. It wasn't that they did it, I can understand that the "stone" element can need explaining but it was more that we felt like we were a being treated as if this was our first time ever seeing any menu not just this one!! It may have just been our waiter or maybe we just happened to be wearing a particularly gormless expression that evening :rolleyes:

My issue with the stone is 2 fold, 1) at just a basic level it would be nice to be able to have the choice, ie. if I want the stone for the craic, great but if I want a top chef to cook it properly that would be nice too. 2) We go to spain at least twice a year and visit a steak house each time that does steak on the hot stone, this diff is, one stone per table and then a plate of thinly sliced fillet/strip-loin/sirloin etc served on a plater and then those that are taking part place the slices onto the stone and cook it too their liking. It only takes a minute or two depending on how well cooked you like it and it tastes fantastic, hence why we go back every time.

Here, you order a steak, it's sealed for you and comes up on your own stone atop a "chopping" board with your sides left on the table as the board holds both the stone and your plate from which you remove your meat when you think it's cooked, 3-5 mins if you like it medium rare and up to 10 if you like it well done (longer unless you cut it up and place it on in pieces). If you are at a table for two and you both have the steak you are in a bit of trouble as the boards take up a lot of room, then you have the sides kind of in the middle and then your glasses balanced somewhere in between. It's all a bit messy really and as we looked around we saw most people, although enjoying the quirkiness, were struggling a bit. It just seems a bit over complicated.

The starters we very nice, including a new twist on everyones favorite chicken wings, very tasty. But the hit was the deserts, they were nouvelle and very tasty. A half decent selection of wines which are linked back to the menu as recommended by DMcG which is a nice touch.

Overall it was grand, we had an enjoyable evening but we kinda felt we'd done it now and wouldn't rush back. Hopefully they'll tweak it a bit cos it could be great!

Jeebus just read back over this, I'll be on The Restaurant next :D

Advertisement