Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

WDTV 1080P vs WDTV Live

• 28-10-2010 11:07am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,662 ✭✭✭

Hi All

Thinking of getting a media player. Anyone out there have any experience with these products. I assume the WDTV live has all the same features as the standard WDTV 1080P :)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,849 ✭✭✭jeffk

Hi All

Thinking of getting a media player. Anyone out there have any experience with these products. I assume the WDTV live has all the same features as the standard WDTV 1080P :)

Have you any file types in mind that you will be watching?

The reason I ask is, if your set on WD and mainly watch avi then the higher end ones are over kill. I have a WD TV Mini and apart from having to convert the mp4 files it does me grand for avi (which most videos are).

Then if you’re not set on a WD model, most places seem to do media players now and from what I’ve heard, they work just as good.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,662 ✭✭✭Luckycharms_74

jeffk wrote: »
    Have you any file types in mind that you will be watching?

The reason I ask is, if your set on WD and mainly watch avi then the higher end ones are over kill. I have a WD TV Mini and apart from having to convert the mp4 files it does me grand for avi (which most videos are).

Then if you’re not set on a WD model, most places seem to do media players now and from what I’ve heard, they work just as good.

Hey Jeffk

Forgot to mention the main reason I want this is to play .mkv files. I will also be playing some .avi files. I think I'm gonna get the WDTV Live :D

Hey Jeffk

Forgot to mention the main reason I want this is to play .mkv files. I will also be playing some .avi files. I think I'm gonna get the WDTV Live :D

Hello Luckycharms_74

Ah right, then that's the right choice, the next one up from what I have, no worries on video formats.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,706 ✭✭✭Voodu Child

WDTV is a good player, supports all the popular containers and codecs up to 1080p.

WDTV Live has the same features plus networking capabilities.

The TV Live Hub is the latest one, with built in 2.5" hard-drive and nicer user-interface.

Western Digital have take a lot of criticism lately though because they release new models very often and then kind of abandon the old ones. Lot of people complaining that WDTV Live has buggy firmware.

DuneHD are considered by many to be the best media players on the market. More expensive than the likes of WDTV though.

Hey VoodooChild

I'm now in 2 minds which on to get. The reason I was choosing WDTV live is because the regular WDTV is out of stock with Amazon. I'm not gonna be using networking. Any other places which have it for similar price around €100. They dont have it with Komplett, Dabs
    :confused:

• Advertisement

You could try the usual pc world, did, maplin, power city etc or before that google and see what other makes do the same as the wd.

I think komplett have one that plays the same files, the only thing there is they are in a mess. SO dont pay online and hope it doesnt break if you do chose komplett.

http://www.komplett.ie/Komplett/product/ZKB_03ELEC/11_MEDIAPL/01_MEDIAPL/productdetails/80000314/Akasa_SCALA_AK_MP01_Compact_HD_Mediaplayer/AK_MP01/default.aspx

There you go, €88 and plays the same files!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,706 ✭✭✭Voodu Child

Hey VoodooChild

I'm now in 2 minds which on to get. The reason I was choosing WDTV live is because the regular WDTV is out of stock with Amazon. I'm not gonna be using networking. Any other places which have it for similar price around €100. They dont have it with Komplett, Dabs
    :confused:

There's threads here for most of the WDTV units. I'd have a read through and just see what people are saying in terms of bugs and firmware updates etc.
    http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/forumdisplay.php?f=39

There's also the Elements Play (with built in HDD but no networking), I forgot about that one. Havent heard too much about it.

Looking at the WD site, the normal WDTV seems to be gone now, it might be discontinued.

Thanks for the info guys. Ill have a read on the forums and decide :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,026 ✭✭✭Amalgam

If you're in a hurry and not too fussed about price, PC World in the Jervis Shopping Centre stock the WD Player, the first version.. I think for €89 or €99.

Another option might be to put in a request or WTB ad (want to buy) on adverts.ie, with your set price.

EDIT: They stock the non network version, as far as I can remember.

Thanks for that. I saw the standard WDTV in PC World for €99.
    I might get one today :D

• Advertisement
Advertisement