Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Playstation Android Phone

• 28-10-2010 11:09am
    Registered Users Posts: 398 ✭✭

Some new pictures of what's claimed to be an actual prototype and not just a mock-up. Engadget links here and here.
    I don't really like the silver/white colour of the inside panel. I'd much prefer if it was black but overall it doesn't look too bad.
    As long as Sony don't go messing around with Android too much it could be pretty good.

engadgetpspphone7-1288145212.jpg

psprealmain.jpg

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 774 ✭✭✭Seperate

A- Enter, B - Back.... there's no A or B on the pad thing.

Would be interested in this if it were true!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,031 ✭✭✭nedd

again Sony make a portable gaming device and don't bother with 2 thumb sticks (unless those two black dots in the middle are sensors)

will this thing play specially built games or just games from the market? I was kinda hoping for a PSP phone at the least.

• Registered Users Posts: 398 ✭✭Ample Free ...?

AFAIK that whole white area in the centre is a capacitive touch pad which would probably act as the thumb sticks. About the games, if PSP games aren't available on it the whole venture would be a complete waste of time. I'd imagine it's main market would be with people who are already familiar with the PSP and it's games. Playing complicated games on a touch screen can be tricky alright but I doubt a few added controls would entice your average android user over without the addition of PSP games.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,579 ✭✭✭BopNiblets

There's a PSX emulator for android y'know. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,031 ✭✭✭nedd

BopNiblets wrote: »
    There's a PSX emulator for android y'know. :)

yeah, and its sh1t. well that has been my experience of trying to play games on it using only the touch screen.

I read some more details about the phone and yes they are touchpads so this will allow dual thumb controls.

but then that means that existing psp games wont work because they are all built only for single thumbsticks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,481 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

nedd wrote: »
    but then that means that existing psp games wont work because they are all built only for single thumbsticks.

eh?

So what if current PSP games are only built for 1 thumbstick... this will have 2. 2 is more than 1 so it would be fine, one would simply be disabled in games where it is not needed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,579 ✭✭✭BopNiblets

nedd wrote: »
    yeah, and its sh1t. well that has been my experience of trying to play games on it using only the touch screen.

I read some more details about the phone and yes they are touchpads so this will allow dual thumb controls.

True, I had a brief go of GTA with some success, but the game I really wanted on it was Metal Slug, and it's one of the ones that didn't work so well, booo. :(

You could connect a bluetooth controller to it though, I think I saw a guy play some game with a Wii controller and play some games on the SGS with the HDMI connection connected to his TV, sweet.

• Registered Users Posts: 257 ✭✭squire23

• Registered Users Posts: 398 ✭✭Ample Free ...?

squire23 wrote: »

Eh, that's running Gingerbread!:eek: If that is a reletively finished version of gingerbread it's a little disappointing. Not as revolutionary as I had hoped.

Advertisement