Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

A Year In Advance!!!! WTF!

Options
  • 28-10-2010 11:23am
    Registered Users Posts: 6,382 ✭✭✭

So we're now getting into a situation where tickets are being sold almost a year in advance. Two great examples would be Foo Fighters in MK Bowl and Bon Jovi in Dublin, both announced this week, and both next Summer

I'm not really sure why announcing gig's around Halloween for the middle of Summer needs to happen. I understand people need to plan to get to the venues and take time off work, organise things and save up for the tickets...but why so far in advance, kind of irritates me.

And if I don't have the money for a performance now, and it sells out, I have to try and get a ticket from a third party in-between now and the gig...while the price goes up and up as we get nearer the performance. Surely we could do something like release half the tickets for one performance now, and then another half in three months...perhaps if there are two dates, announce the both of them, release tickets for one now and then another in three months. That way the market isn't flooded with tickets and the touts know that people won't just pay mad prices for the tickets straight away when they have another chance. People's plans change and they can afford a face value ticket to an otherwise sold out gig. Simple.

Take Katy Perry, announcing extra dates...or Westlife or something...if someone doesn't have the cash to get tickets the morning they sell out, then why would they be able to afford them the week after, why not wait a few months and give people the chance to save for a gig...dare I say the real fans?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 983 ✭✭✭CiaranK

I know what you mean, It's terrible. All that money sitting in the bank for that long. They'd make a fortune on it. I got tickets for Roger Waters in June (Might have been early July) and the gig isn't till May 2011.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,050 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

I didn't even bother getting tickets for Peter Kaye in case i was dead by showtime!!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,451 ✭✭✭blastman

I'm not really sure why announcing gig's around Halloween for the middle of Summer needs to happen. I understand people need to plan to get to the venues and take time off work, organise things and save up for the tickets...but why so far in advance, kind of irritates me.
    Christmas presents

• Closed Accounts Posts: 369 ✭✭Daisy!

The UK has been doing it this way for years. I personally find it really annoying. I always put off getting tickets, thinking it's too far away and then just don't bother going. If they were sold say 2 or 3 months in advance I'd be more inclined to buy them and go.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,550 ✭✭✭NIBBS

to be honest I don't mind the Bon Jovi advance sales, 7 months is well in advance, but not too much.......

but the comedians are definitely taking the piss.......Peter Kaye selling tickets a year in advance, and now Lee Evans the same, he's not on till next Oct.........
    it's definitely getting longer and longer eith the advance sales though.......it's not like they are reducing the ticket prices and compensating with the extra interest money they are making.........it's just additional clear profit.....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,805 ✭✭✭hynesie08

To be honest (And i have no proof to back this up) I'm sure a lot of it has to do with logistics. I know i went to see metallica in 04 in the rds and got that as a Christmas present so it's not a new thing. the bon jovi gig is late june but i'm guessing they would have to give notice to the gardai, the county council, the surrounding neighborhood groups as well as put out notice for food and drink sellers(which requires getting an alcohol license), portaloos as well as security. Not to mention the stage and lighting. In the o2, olympia, academy this would all be in house so can be done at relatively short notice but i'd say 7 months wouldn't be too much of a stretch for an outdoor event in dublin city centre (pretty much) catering to 35,000 people.

I agree the comedians are taking the piss though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,132 ✭✭✭Just Like Heaven

I believe the Chris De Burgh gig next year in the 02 was announced almost 30 months in advance.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,960 ✭✭✭DarkJager

I believe the Chris De Burgh gig next year in the 02 was announced almost 30 months in advance.

Probably an attempt to get at least a quarter of the seats filled by the time its on. If it was announced 2 or 3 months before hand he'd most likely be crooning to himself in an empty venue :D

DarkJager wrote: »
    Probably an attempt to get at least a quarter of the seats filled by the time its on. If it was announced 2 or 3 months before hand he'd most likely be crooning to himself in an empty venue :D

Are you actually saying his music is dated and uninteresting? :eek:

Some people.... :p

• Registered Users Posts: 11,934 ✭✭✭✭scudzilla

Take Bon Jovi for example.

30,000 tickets at an average €80 each, that's €2.4million

Invested wisely that could gain approx 15% interest, an extra €360,000. Now THAT is way they do this

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,585 ✭✭✭honru

It's an interesting point and something that seems to be occurring more recently. I don't know who he is but Chris De Burgh gets the award for the most ridiculous advance confirmation of a gig I've ever seen, I remember thinking how mad it was when I saw the announcement through MCD. According to the internetz tickets for his O2 gig next April (in 2011) went on sale in October 2009. In that space of time that gig has now been moved to May 2011 and downgraded to the Grand Canal Theatre.

I don't think it's too bad however announcing gigs less than nine months away, or announcing summer concerts before the Christmas period, though it rarely happens with bands I'd definitely want to see.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,432 ✭✭✭df1985

its madness alright, as far as i know i have aticket for peter kay, dont know which mate ordered them,whether i paid him or even if ill be in the country!

• Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭mazza

scudzilla wrote: »
    Take Bon Jovi for example.

30,000 tickets at an average €80 each, that's €2.4million

Invested wisely that could gain approx 15% interest, an extra €360,000. Now THAT is way they do this

I'd be much obliged if you could pass on the details of the wise investment which would gain me 15% return within the next 7 months without risking my money.

:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,323 ✭✭✭Savman

12 months is a long time, a lot can happen. No way would I be getting tickets that far in advance.

A side-effect to this new method of operation by the powers that be, is that you see tons of second hand sales in the weeks coming up to a show because people can't go for whatever reason (surprise surprise).

Just look at adverts on the week of any given concert, people desperately trying to flog their unwanted tickets and even taking offers below cost price. Even Miss Gaga this week was selling for less than the price printed on the ticket.

Sure is all messed up.

• Registered Users Posts: 613 ✭✭✭rgjmce

Yeah I couldn't agree more it's insane. I went to Iron Maiden at summer but it wasn't too bad cause it was only a couple months waiting time, roughly 4 or 5 months. I want to go to see Bon Jovi but i'm not looking forward to the wait, when i heard about it, i was like that has to be a joke.

rgjmce wrote: »
    Yeah I couldn't agree more it's insane. I went to Iron Maiden at summer but it wasn't too bad cause it was only a couple months waiting time, roughly 4 or 5 months. I want to go to see Bon Jovi but i'm not looking forward to the wait, when i heard about it, i was like that has to be a joke.

Maiden was only announced that early cause it was a one off gig before the festivals. If it were a full arena tour it would have been at least 7 months +

Maiden was only announced that early cause it was a one off gig before the festivals. If it were a full arena tour it would have been at least 7 months +

do you think i care? ha ha

do you think i care? ha ha

If you'd put the effort into commenting on a thread in which it's being discussed. Or did you really just wanna tell people that you'd seen Iron Maiden during the summer?

If you'd put the effort into commenting on a thread in which it's being discussed. Or did you really just wanna tell people that you'd seen Iron Maiden during the summer?

lol no just saying that not all of them aren't so stupidly ahead of time, hopefully they aren't all gonna end up getting to be longer and longer waits

• Registered Users Posts: 3,555 ✭✭✭Gillington

I'd be more worried about losing the tickets if I got them that far in advance!

• Advertisement

lol no just saying that not all of them aren't so stupidly ahead of time, hopefully they aren't all gonna end up getting to be longer and longer waits

Unfortunately, there just gonna get further and further announced and dearer and dearer. :(

Advertisement