Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best pan for steak

Options
  • 28-10-2010 11:59am
    Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭

Just bought two beautiful looking ribeye steaks and wanna get a pan that will do it justice. I have an electric hob so need a good one. I'm thinking a cast-iron skillet. Anyone know where to get on for good value?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 546 ✭✭✭clived2

Here ya go watch this

Dont worry, he cooks ribeye and goes to the
    shop to tell you the best pan to buy

Just click part 1 of the steak eps

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056037704

• Closed Accounts Posts: 75 ✭✭johnnycee66

Ikea do a fantastic, solid and cheap cast iron pan, excellent for steak

• Registered Users Posts: 4,139 ✭✭✭olaola

I'd go for a cast iron giddle - I prefer the ones without handles (just kind of ears) or foldable handles.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,048 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Plain, flat, well seasoned cast iron pan.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

Yup, cast iron pan every time. Left on the hob, empty and dry, for 20 minutes on full heat, then drop in the room temperature, oiled and seasoned steak for no more than a minute to a side, then into the oven at 220 for another minute (two at the very, very most) if it's an especially thick steak, then into tin foil to sit for five minues (minimum) on the countertop to rest, and then be devoured.

Found my pan in TK Maxx after a lot of searching; IKEA sounds like the better plan though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 65,502 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Sparks wrote: »
    Yup, cast iron pan every time. Left on the hob, empty and dry, for 20 minutes on full heat, then drop in the room temperature, oiled and seasoned steak for no more than a minute to a side, then into the oven at 220 for another minute

+1

I skip the oven bit for my one :D

Only problem is that the smoke alarm WILL go off within the minute :D

• Registered Users Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

unkel wrote: »
    I skip the oven bit for my one :D
    I'll only skip the oven if the steak is less than an inch thick - if it's over the inch, you need between 30 seconds and two minutes in the oven (though two minutes would be for an absolutely monster steak).
    Only problem is that the smoke alarm WILL go off within the minute :D
    Hence the closed door between oven and alarm and the open windows and the extractor fan on full :D

It's even more fun if you had something other than ordinary salt and pepper on the steak, like paprika or chilli :D

• Registered Users Posts: 65,502 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Sparks wrote: »
    Hence the closed door between oven and alarm and the open windows and the extractor fan on full :D

The last time I had front, back and internal doors open plus the kitchen window and the extractor fan was on full. It didn't help :D

And I'm a salt and pepper only man :D

Looking forward to frying a sirloin later today :D

Advertisement