Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gaming PC for 800 euro - Help and old timer!

Options
  • 28-10-2010 12:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,282 ✭✭✭

I was thinking of just buying one second hand from adverts.ie but they are just way overpriced. I'm kinda thinking I'd be better off building one.

I've built two PCs in the past. But that was years ago. I'm not even sure what sites are good these days.

Anyway my budget is 800 euro. I have a monitor and other peripherals so all I am looking for is the case.

Any suggestions?

I need:
    CPU
    Motherboard
    RAM
    Graphics Card
    Harddrive
    PSU
    DVD Drive ( this must be a dual layer burner )
    Case

Am I missing anything?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,710 ✭✭✭Monotype

Pretty much all DVD burners today will do dual layers.
    What's the computer for? - I.e., any specific tasks such as games?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,282 ✭✭✭BlackWizard

It's for games and application development.

But from what I can tell most CPUs seem to have 4 cores and anything above 4gb is grand for developing on.

The last time I bought a PC I got an 8800gtx for playing games. It was perfect. So I'm not sure at all what the equivilant now is.

I made a PC on the hardware.de website. I just threw it together quickly.

A few problems though! First it's over my budget. Second I don't know if all the parts will work together. Thirdly I've no idea if that case with built in PSU is any good.

How do I make this cheaper? :D

attachment.php?attachmentid=132727&stc=1&d=1288270366

• Registered Users Posts: 2,857 ✭✭✭indough

you could throw in a much cheaper graphics card for a start

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 4,726 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzovision

Do you need a card that powerful?

I would certainly add more ram

• Advertisement

theres 4 gig there already though as theres a 2 in the quantity field

• Registered Users Posts: 6,710 ✭✭✭Monotype

Your processor is socket 1156 and your motherboard is 1366.
    With that budget, I'd aim for the i5s, if going with intel.
    For the motherboard, get a good P55 board. Newer ones (denoted P55A by MSI and gigabyte) would have updated features such as USB 3 which could be useful.
    E.g., http://www4.hardwareversand.de/articledetail.jsp?aid=29308

Green drives are fine for storage but consider the black series for better performance (and longer warranty), especially for your OS drive.

You don't need to spend that much on a graphics card. In years gone by, you would have needed to, but if you just have the one monitor, something like a GTX 460 1GB will do very nicely.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,845 ✭✭✭massy086

[IMG][/img]i5800buld.png

That build looks perfect Massy.

Is there much of a difference between that I5 and an I7 ?

I will have a database running on the machine now and then and usually my databases have suicidal tendancies when it comes to performance. Most systems hang for a while. If an I7 is hugely better than it would reduce the time I left waiting. But if there is not much difference i don't mind.

I'm still surprised you managed to find all them parts and somehow have a low subtotal.

I have a few options now :) You guys all saved me a good few hours of research! Love this forum :D

you could alternatively save some money by going with a cheaper case. i reckon an antec 300 would be sufficient for about 50 quid (although i think its out of stock supposedly for a week or so). the extra cash could be thrown into doubling your ram and throwing in some better fans or something

• Advertisement

Good point. But I can't find any cheapish cases on the site. I can't find the Antec 300 either.

Any other case suggestions?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,845 ✭✭✭massy086

http://www4.hardwareversand.de/articledetail.jsp?aid=23029&agid=631 if you do go with the 300 buy two 120mm led fans for the front of the case i had green and it looked great FS-237-OK_400.jpg&t=1

That case isn't in stock :( I was going to order today.

Any other suggestions on a case that is in stock?

The last time I choose a case I was no impressed with the location of the PSU. It was very hard to get the cables from the PSU up onto the motherboard.

Edit: Will this case do or is it too small? http://www4.hardwareversand.de/articledetail.jsp?aid=27225&agid=631

Advertisement