Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tabata method

Options
  • 28-10-2010 12:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,366 ✭✭✭

Started training using the Tabata method.

Going to log my workouts here (and any other training, I'm trying to do some training/exercises every day):

All exercises are completed at max reps for 20 secs followed by rest for 10 sets. All are repeated 8 times for a total of 4 minutes per exercise.

Yesterday:
    1. Over head lifts
    2. Chest lifts
    3. Bicep curls
    4. Tricep lifts
    5. Squats

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,025 ✭✭✭d'Oracle

Wait, you did tabata bicep curls?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,366 ✭✭✭king_of_inismac

I don't know mate, I basically did the max number of curls in 20 seconds and repeated that eight times.

Update for today: one hour of squash!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,981 ✭✭✭✭Hanley

I don't know mate, I basically did the max number of curls in 20 seconds and repeated that eight times.

Update for today: one hour of squash!

That's not tabata.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,025 ✭✭✭d'Oracle

Since Hanley mentioned it, I'm gonna say it.

There have been a few conversations about Tabata on here in the last few months.

And while I really don't want to discourage you, I think you are missing the point of Tabata.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,366 ✭✭✭king_of_inismac

Don't normally read the main fitness forum, so I think I missed that debate.

To be honest, I'm not overly concerned whether or not it's strictly 'tabata'.

I've done a lot of resistance training over the last twelve years and I think mixing things up every now and again is a good thing.

As long as Im promoting growth, I'm happy.

Anyway, update again:
    Yesterday - 90 minutes of low intensity cardio
    Today - chest, biceps, triceps, squats, situps.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 373 ✭✭david4791

So with Tabata do I complete 8 sets of every exercise or just 8 sets of the list I select on a particular day?. Say I choose barbell curls/dumbell rows/squats/pressups/burpees/sit ups/chin ups/lunges - Do I do eight of everything or one of each of the listed exercises?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,981 ✭✭✭✭Hanley

david4791 wrote: »
    So with Tabata do I complete 8 sets of every exercise or just 8 sets of the list I select on a particular day?. Say I choose barbell curls/dumbell rows/squats/pressups/burpees/sit ups/chin ups/lunges - Do I do eight of everything or one of each of the listed exercises?

Well 1) That's not what the Tabata study was about, so you're just doing 'interval circuits using the same work:rest ratio as used in the Tabata study' and 2) it may not even be worth doing depending on what your goals are.

You're best off starting a new thread in the main forum about it, this is someone's fitness log.

Advertisement