Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Seo course pre or post site launch?

Options
  • 28-10-2010 12:23pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 24

Hi ppl,
    Im launching a site shortly which will include blogging/CMS and an ecommerce function. Currently the site is in planning stage so its early doors really but I'd like to do a training course in SEO, preferably a 1-day course rather than a part-time / 4 wk job.

My question is, would it be recommended to do a course on SEO now, while im planning the site and compiling content, or at a later date when the site is ready to launch/launched?

On a side note, are there many providers of SEO training out there?

Thanks

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 188 ✭✭pixeldesign

You can start learning now about basics.You dont have to do any course as you can find all information you need on internet.After you launch your website, you can put in practice what you read, and then continue to read tutorials/articles/books/ and test what you learnt.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,514 ✭✭✭Rollo Tamasi

I agree.

Pick up the basics now. Launch the site. And then take in some training. And continuously improve the site.

It's best to learn from your mistakes and in a few weeks time after you get the training you will be able to pick out where you went wrong and improve the site.

Google for "SEO Your Location" and contact a few of the top agencies and enquire about a one day workshop/training course whereby they will audit your site in your company.

I've done that for a number of clients and they have found it very beneficial.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,700 ✭✭✭tricky D

It would be prudent to do a good bit of learning up on SEO before you start. It should be an important part of your overall plan and factored in from the start. There's always the risk you might choose some technology before learning SEO only to find that the technology won't let you execute your SEO plans. Simple(simplistic) example might be choosing a CMS which doesn't allow editing meta tags or doesn't do semantic headings.

As for training, I would recommend some web research and maybe a recent book over most training courses. Better value and more effective.

There is no CMS on the internet which doesnt let you edit meta tags.

Not true. Cushycms for starters doesn't have the capability.

Besides it's an 'example' which 'might' - the words are carefully chosen.

There are also plenty of CMS which do a poor job wrt semantic markup.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 647 ✭✭✭fintan

I second what Tricky D says, get a very good understanding of SEO before you build your site as it will save you having to make changes for SEO have the site is live.

• Registered Users Posts: 18 gaillimh_abu

famed45 wrote: »
    Hi ppl,
    Im launching a site shortly which will include blogging/CMS and an ecommerce function. Currently the site is in planning stage so its early doors really but I'd like to do a training course in SEO, preferably a 1-day course rather than a part-time / 4 wk job.

My question is, would it be recommended to do a course on SEO now, while im planning the site and compiling content, or at a later date when the site is ready to launch/launched?

On a side note, are there many providers of SEO training out there?

Thanks

I totally agree with the guys above. Theres so much out on the web now regarding SEO.

http://www.searchengineguide.com/stoney-degeyter/seo-101-everything-you-need-to-know-abou.php

You need to cover onsite/offsite Search Engine related work. It depends on the CMS you are using. You may or may not have the option to edit tags.

Title is very important - And as important as getting your targetted keywords into your title - is not to "keyword spam" either...

Basics like Google sitemap submission should be looked at too..

Regarding offsite work - You can work on backlinks yourself by developing some 3rd party blogs (blogger , wordpress.com etc ) related to your theme. We've had great success with this method.

Also some 3rd part tools will let you post your RSS Feed ( is you've got a cms that supports one ) to 3rd party sites like Facebook & Twitter to cover those bases too..

Anyway theres lots that you can get covered online without paying out for a 1 day course where you might learn less anyway...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,361 ✭✭✭Itsdacraic

There is no CMS on the internet which doesnt let you edit meta tags.

That is very wrong

I think is very true.Meta tags can be easily changed, by editing the files of the script or template.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 647 ✭✭✭fintan

I think is very true.Meta tags can be easily changed, by editing the files of the script or template.

Yes but editing the scripts in order to change meta content really defeats the purpose of having a CMS.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7 LoudSEO

Sorry guys I have to disagree on the most part for what has been said here.

It is essential that you get into SEO at the ground level of your project for many reasons. As one poster has already mentioned there maybe a technology barrier to some aspect of SEO you may need, along with the fact that many webmasters have discovered that their website structure is indeed incorrect or at least inefficient in regards to SEO.

There are many aspects to SEO well beyond the 1990's view of "change your meta tags". Meta tags are important to some degree but training would definitely open your eyes to the real world of SEO and the in's and out's required to make it really work for you both on and offsite.

Give me a shout if you want some tips or advice

Mark

• Registered Users Posts: 947 ✭✭✭Shzm

LoudSEO wrote: »
    Meta tags are important to some degree

No they're not, atleast not to Google anyway.

The two most important things to get your site ranked in Google is good content and backlinks. Get both of these right and you're set.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 LoudSEO

Shzm, as I said Meta Tags are important to some degree, not "stuff your meta tags with keywords". There is plenty of evidence to support that Meta Title has a minor impact for ranking purposes (and yes even in Google) but the point I was trying to make was that both the Meta Title & Description both play a very imporatnt part in converting a search engine user into a click - after all what is the point of being ranked 1st in Google if you cant entice someone to click on your site?

In my experience an SEO needs to think about the whole picture, not just about getting the black and white "result" of a high ranking.

While Google ignores them, some others do heed them. More importantly, the exercise of compiling keyword sets for the tag is worthwhile as it can contribute to keyword tactics for pages and is unlikely to do harm unless the tag is spammed.

Advertisement