Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Snip Snip Georgie.

Options
  • 28-10-2010 12:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,331 ✭✭✭

What is the youngest a dog can be spayed/neutered?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,413 ✭✭✭Toulouse

Vets will do it from 6 months on.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭andreac

Usually anytime from 6 months onwards:)

• Registered Users Posts: 15,899 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

A female dog is best spayed before her first season as it dramatically reduces the risk of breast cancer, which is the most common fatal cancer in later life.

There is more debate over the age for male neutering. Some people believe that it is better left till a bit later to allow the dog to fully develop.

• Registered Users Posts: 303 ✭✭tazwaz

my pup is 5 months now and was planning on getting him neutered at 6 months. had him at the vets a week ago, he had a bug, and she said to leave him till after xmas as he is a bit immature, he not lifting the leg when having a wee yet and she's seen bigger bits on a kitten :D he of course thinks he's a stud dog strutting around :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,634 ✭✭✭TooManyDogs

My JRT was done at 6 months, still doesn't cock his leg! Mind you, the other dogs treat him like a baby and coddle him so he's definetly still immature :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,713 ✭✭✭lrushe

I don't like to s/neuter until a dog is fully grown and mature, 18 to 24 months depending on the breed. If you can't keep the dog secure until then 6 months old would be the earliest I would do it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,740 ✭✭✭Asphyxia

6 months is the earliest.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,189 ✭✭✭boomerang

Our vet will neuter at 12 weeks (kittens and pups).

In the States, some clinics will do it at eight weeks!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,331 ✭✭✭Guill

12 weeks sounds extremely early to me.
    When our dog was a pup he was always lazy no matter what we did, he hated walks, runs, swimming etc. As soon as he hit maturity he changed completely, fitter, triimer and has boundless energy. Would getting the snip not interfere with his hormones and perhaps stopped him from becoming the great dog he is now?

I asked the origional question as a friend wants one of my pups and i would prefer if it was neutered first.

Advertisement