Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Michelstown private seller 06 Audi A4

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,096 ✭✭✭johnos1984

azureus50 wrote: »
    I am very interested in the car for sale above but something is tell me to stay well clear.

I think you know the answer to your own thread.

From what you said above its all sounding too good to be true.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,518 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

could just be some developer or other up to his ears in debt, trying to sell assets rather than have the bank seize them at a lesser value?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,294 ✭✭✭rainbowdrop

Maybe he is just someone trying to make a quick profit? A guy I know (well a friend of a friend) has bought a few cars recently, got them professionally valeted and then sold them on for maybe €500/€600 profit a week later.

Although, that wouldn't explain why this guy is using different names. Sounds a bit dodgy alright.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 azureus50

Thanks guys for your quick response.

I'm siding along the same lines as cookie monster but have the reservations of John's response.

I mean in this guys favour:

He has sold minimum 3 cars within the last month or so. Uses the same number and takes photo's of the cars outside his house.

Now, I did a backround check on the car. everything checks out fine as far as i can see. The VRC name changing concerns me and where the cars are coming from. (couldnt imagine this person developer or no developer owned so many assets himself) but could this guy just be a wheeler/dealer character trying to shift cars quickly for a cheap price and a cheap profit?

If so, you can pick up a bargain.

I guess im really hoping someone who's bought one of the cars mentioned in the original post see's this and responds with a yah or nah.

Surely this guy would have been long found out if the previous buyers had purchased a dodgy car. He continually uses the same number to be business.

*apologies to the sexist's out there.... presuming the seller is a male. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

OP - It's a dealer, simple as. I wouldn't even bother calling myself, but if you do then expect the seller to be to be a bit ... rough around the edges.;)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,857 ✭✭✭langdang

Came across the same myself recently - Mick/Niall/D/civic/seller etc (all same number, but a different one to yours) selling cars in Cork with recent changes of ownership with the line of "oh I got a new job with a car, don't need this one anymore"

Practically every car that I'm genuinely interested in is on donedeal by a trader posing as a private sale.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,830 ✭✭✭shawnee

From my own experience there are very few genuine private sellers on Donedeal.
    I had difficulty getting a logbook for a car that I bought last year. The motor tax office didn't receive it and when I rang the seller his mobile was disconnected. This experience turned me off donedeal. However it's always let the buyer beware and take every precaution when buying second hand:p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,721 ✭✭✭E39MSport

shawnee wrote: »
    I had difficulty getting a logbook for a car that I bought last year. The motor tax office didn't receive it and when I rang the seller his mobile was disconnected. This experience turned me off donedeal. However it's always let the buyer beware and take every precaution when buying second hand:p

Is your experience one transaction?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,991 ✭✭✭mathepac

Maybe he is just someone trying to make a quick profit? A guy I know (well a friend of a friend) has bought a few cars recently, got them professionally valeted and then sold them on for maybe €500/€600 profit a week later...
    Ah, a motor-trader then. Revenue love hearing about these guys avoiding VAT registration etc.

shawnee wrote: »

Just curious.... how'd did you manage to resolve the "missing" log book situation? Sounds like a tricky situation :(

• Advertisement

Guys, thanks to all for your responses. I guess its just a case of getting in contact and sussing it out.

Not sure if the guy is a trader acting as a private seller. I would be more of the opinion he is possibly acting on a traders behalf for a quick profit if there is even a tie with a trader at all. Considering the seller has his house/dogs/kitchenware for sale on donedeal its more likely someone in debt, hence the possibility of a bargain/costly mistake.

Will update after i give him a shout.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,921 ✭✭✭Gophur

azureus50 wrote: »
    Guys, thanks to all for your responses. I guess its just a case of getting in contact and sussing it out.

Not sure if the guy is a trader acting as a private seller. I would be more of the opinion he is possibly acting on a traders behalf for a quick profit if there is even a tie with a trader at all. Considering the seller has his house/dogs/kitchenware for sale on donedeal its more likely someone in debt, hence the possibility of a bargain/costly mistake.

Will update after i give him a shout.

Someone acting on someone else's behalf will not transfer cars into his name just prior to sale. It's obvious this is a man masquerading as a private seller, when he is, in fact, a trader.

Steer well clear of such a chancer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,822 ✭✭✭✭EPM

TBH if all the checks on the car come back clean and you get it looked over prior to purchase it wouldn't bother me who was selling the car.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭Nonoperational

I tend to agree. But I'd be a bit more cautious. I think there might be a higher probability of it being clocked - but I may be unfair saying that.

Advertisement