Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Limerick Maternity

• 28-10-2010 12:38pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 133 ✭✭

Hi

I am going public at the Maternity in Limerick and I am just wondering do I have to make my own first appointment or does my GP do that??

Thanks

C xx

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5 Ashosul

Hi there

First off, congrats. On your first visit to your gp they will send a letter to the hospital & the hospital in turn will contact you with an appointment. Mine was around week 14 so depending on your dates you may have a wait. Don't forget to ask your gp for the form for the combined care, so that way you don't have to pay the doc for each visit. My current gp didn't even mention it to me & charged me for my first visit. I had to ask for it myself when i went the second time whereas my gp on number one baby gave me all the details the first time i want to see her.

Good luck
    A

• Closed Accounts Posts: 133 ✭✭cinderella2010

Thanks Ash
    Well I went to doc this week and I am currently almost 6 weeks - he told me that before I go to maternity hospital I have to go back to him in mid November - also he did not charge me and told me I have 6 free visits. I think I am just going to have a private scan done at 8 weeks just to ease my mind esp if I have to wait until 14 weeks and there is still no guarantee that they will do a scan then they might wait to do that until 20 weeks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,226 ✭✭✭angelfire9

Thanks Ash
    Well I went to doc this week and I am currently almost 6 weeks - he told me that before I go to maternity hospital I have to go back to him in mid November - also he did not charge me and told me I have 6 free visits. I think I am just going to have a private scan done at 8 weeks just to ease my mind esp if I have to wait until 14 weeks and there is still no guarantee that they will do a scan then they might wait to do that until 20 weeks

You will get 2 scans at Limerick
    One between 12-14 weeks and one 30-33 weeks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,128 ✭✭✭cynder

I had my 3 in limerick, got on great, found the nurses are better with you if you breastfeed. I was in the same bed for 2 of them and in the same room for the 3rd (i was transferred from the bottom ward to top ward as there was only a few on bottom ward so closed it an only had the top ward open). I delivered all 3 in different delivery suits and one suit was the size of a shoe box but that didnt matter as i was so close to having him it was better than in the hallway.

I have no complaints. They even tell you if its a boy or girl.

Best of luck

Your doctor will make appt for you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,128 ✭✭✭cynder

Thanks Ash

They will defo scan before 15 weeks to date baby. They want to be sure dates are right.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 37 limerick_lady

Hey Cinderella,

Firstly congrats! Enjoy every minute of your pregnancy, it'll fly!

I think you should make sure that your doctor has sent the referral letter for you already. My gp sent my letter to the hospital on my first visit (5wks) and I had my first appointment when I was 12wks pg! Get your referral letter in there sooner rather than later!

Best of luck! :)

Well I saw the doc last week and I was 5 weeks and I asked he was he referred me and he said no that I had to come back again in the middle of Nov and that he would refer me then - with Christmas etc I will not be seen until new year at this rate so I booked myself in for private scan late next week (will be 7.5 weeks by then) so that will keep me satisfied - i just want to make sure all is ok,check my dates are accurate and to see exactly how many I am having (you never know)

• Registered Users Posts: 37 limerick_lady

I'm not sure why your GP would wait to send the referral. The earlier the referral gets to the hospital, the earlier your appointment will be. I'd call him and ask him to print you out a referral letter today, even if it means you putting it in the post yourself!

I know you say you're not, but if you had considered going privately, you'd be already too late to get a referral as they'd be all booked up, which is why I'm confused as to why he would wait so long and drag you back in for another appointment!

I agree with your decision to get a private scan done, I did and while you can't see much at that stage, it does reassure you that everything is going ok! And for the headcount reason too! :)

well I could go privately if I wanted as I am a patient already of one of Dr. Hickey but I think its a waste of money in these times.

I did call him and he assured me I had to visit him again - anyway I will have my private scan to tie me over

Its very annoying though as I would like to have the reassurance of me being on their list or whatever it is that needs doing

Advertisement