Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bank valuation - Who pays?

Options
  • 28-10-2010 12:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,102 ✭✭✭

Hi
    If someone is looking to buy a property and the bank gets the property valued (as part of the process for loan approval) who pays for the valuation?
    Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,624 ✭✭✭Dancor

In my case and anyone else that I know, it was the bank.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37 triskellion

The borrower pays. Either directly to the valuer or through an "arrangement fee" with the bank.
    This fee may also include the banks legal fees for setting up the mortgage.
    The borrower may not end up paying if the bank waives the arrangement fee or negotiates with the valuer to do it for free.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,541 ✭✭✭irlrobins

I had to pay the hire and pay the valuer myself last year when I bought.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭BC

I had to pay myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,624 ✭✭✭Dancor

^^^
    Everyone above, Really?

I got my mortgage over the past few months. When it came time for the bank to get it valued they looked after everything.

I was with BOI, and my mate who recently got his is with EBS.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 759 ✭✭✭mrgaa1

maybe they've changed their tune and are now getting more serious about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭BC

Mine was a few years ago and the valuation was a joke. They didn't check anything.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,102 ✭✭✭mathie

Thanks guys.

The reason I asked is that a mate was asked to stump up 130 for a bank valuation.
    He'd placed a bid on a house and it was accepted and now the valualtion is saying its ..... surprise, surprise .... the same as what he bid.

Surely this is a bit of a scam?
    What 'service' is got for the valuation.
    Sure anyone can say 'Oh yeah it's worth what you bid!'

• Registered Users Posts: 669 ✭✭✭Patrickof

Yeah, there is that element of it looking a bit dodgy when the valuation is exactly what the offer is.

But, other than in unusual circumstances (maybe where a parent is selling a house to a son/daughter for below market value) then by definition the accepted bid IS the market value.

The purpose of the valuation is to ensure the bank that the property being bought is worth what is being lent against it, and that they can recover the cost if they need to repossess and sell the house. It's not future proof though, the valuation is only valid on the day it's done. There have been instances where banks have issued mortgages for non-existant properties, and the valuation is one way to ensure that this doesn't happen.

Advertisement