Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Turkish Hazel, germinating possible from seeds/nuts

Options
  • 28-10-2010 12:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,333 ✭✭✭

Heya,

noticed pavement trees on Laverna Drive near the KCR in Dublin, shedding their hazel nuts at the moment. Wouldn't it be possible to plant the nuts in a bit of potting compost and get saplings next year???

gorgeous looking tree for the side of the road....

tia

t.

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,524 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

i think they're turkish hazels lining the park behind blessington basin in phibsboro; they're a hazel with a much more upright habit than the native hazel, and look like a more normal tree.
    anyway, they're childs play to get to germinate; i've managed to get whatever ones i didn't eat to germinate easily. a good test of them is to drop them into a basin of water - the non-viable ones will tend to float.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,333 ✭✭✭tampopo

Grand job, ta much

t.

I saved some seeds over the winter in the press where I keep my glasses and stuff. I potted them up on potting compost thus...

DSC00861.jpg

and

DSC00862.jpg

then I had a look in my RHS Gardening Encyclopedia and it said, they should be sown straight away, in autumn. do you think they'll be the worse for wear for being kept 'relatively' warm for a couple of months?

Only the yoghurt container is inside, the rest are outdoors...and I forgot to do the float test before sowing them....

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,524 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

i found some acorns which had been left inside recently. dry as husks. i suspect you might not have luck with them.

right, ok, thanks for that.....

will try again next autumn....

• Advertisement
Advertisement