Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Manchester United Away - Match Thread

Options
  • 28-10-2010 1:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7,776 ✭✭✭

Well lads, what do yeh reckon? In recent seasons this fixture has always been 3 points down the drain, but this season is different. United appear to be a team on the way down, whereas we have been making steady progress ever since Harry took over. I feel we are good enough to be aiming for a win this weekend, but then again, I would happily settle for a point. I'd love to see Harry put out an attacking formation, with Bale and Lennon on the wings and Van Der Vaart given his usual free role. Team I'd like to see:

Gomes
    Hutton - - - King - - - Gallas - - - BAE
    Lennon - - - Hudd - - - Modric - - - Bale
    Van Der Vaart
    Crouch

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,946 ✭✭✭SuprSi

Nailed on Utd win. It doesn't seem to matter what team they have, or how poorly they're playing, they have some sort of jinx on us and we either never perform, or perform and are robbed ala Mendes' goal or when we were 2 - 0 up and Webb gave that awful penalty decision against us.

Look at the home game last season. The worst Utd team in a decade, Spurs on fire, a goal up, and we lose 1 - 3. Obviously my outlook is very pessimistic but it is based on nothing but being a pessimistic bastard whenever we play Utd!! I'd love for something more but I can't see anything other than a Utd win.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,723 ✭✭✭2nd Row Donkey

Agreed with SuprSi... not matter what we'll either be robbed ala Mendes goal (or similarily freakish incident) OR Utd will turn up and play their best football of the season so far and trash us.

Agree with OP' team though.
    Ferguson will have utd double up on Bale thats for sure. Hopefully that will free up VDV and/or Lennon

• Registered Users Posts: 9,723 ✭✭✭2nd Row Donkey

SuprSi wrote: »
    Nailed on Utd win. It doesn't seem to matter what team they have, or how poorly they're playing, they have some sort of jinx on us and we either never perform, or perform and are robbed ala Mendes' goal or when we were 2 - 0 up and Webb gave that awful penalty decision against us.

That was the day I got married. I was watching it in the bar of the wedding hotel surronded by loads of Utd fans. We got called in for the meal/speeches etc at half time. I spent the next hour sitting at the top table watched the various Utd fans waving their fists in joy as they came back to thump us from 2 nil down to 5-2 all the the second half. I have a face like busted couch in any of the photo's taken around the time of the meal! :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 7,738 ✭✭✭Mr. Guappa

THFC wrote: »
    Well lads, what do yeh reckon? In recent seasons this fixture has always been 3 points down the drain, but this season is different. United appear to be a team on the way down, whereas we have been making steady progress ever since Harry took over. I feel we are good enough to be aiming for a win this weekend, but then again, I would happily settle for a point. I'd love to see Harry put out an attacking formation, with Bale and Lennon on the wings and Van Der Vaart given his usual free role. Team I'd like to see:

Gomes
    Hutton - - - King - - - Gallas - - - BAE
    Lennon - - - Hudd - - - Modric - - - Bale
    Van Der Vaart
    Crouch

Is King available for this?
    I think I'd go for Palacios/Jenas/Sandro alongside Huddlestone with Modric on the right.
    I'd also like to see Pav in place of Crouch up top.

I'm really confident going into this one for some reason. They are no great shakes at the moment and can definitely be got at. If Palacios and BAE can avoid conceding the now traditional penalty at Old Trafford then I fancy us 2-1 or even 3-1. COYS :)

Heh, what a day to have experienced that match! At least you had something to cheer you up and take your mind off it afterwards.

I'd imagine every Spurs fan knows exactly where they were and what they were doing while that game was on.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,776 ✭✭✭Big Pussy Bonpensiero

Not sure about King, went on the presumption that he will be though.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,153 ✭✭✭everdead.ie

Kaboul will start alongside king if fit or Gallas Bale lw as he offers better protection infront of BAE Sandro/Hudd alongside modric in the middle watching the Everton match you see he's just hitting form

• Registered Users Posts: 280 ✭✭fabvinny

That was the day I got married. I was watching it in the bar of the wedding hotel surronded by loads of Utd fans. We got called in for the meal/speeches etc at half time. I spent the next hour sitting at the top table watched the various Utd fans waving their fists in joy as they came back to thump us from 2 nil down to 5-2 all the the second half. I have a face like busted couch in any of the photo's taken around the time of the meal! :confused:
    were we not up 3 nil at half time in this game???

• Registered Users Posts: 7,738 ✭✭✭Mr. Guappa

fabvinny wrote: »
    were we not up 3 nil at half time in this game???

We were 3-0 up against them at the Lane under Hoddle (Dean Richards scored on debut). At Old Trafford 2 years ago we went 2-0 up then they got a soft penalty and we capitulated, losing 5-2 in the end. Too many bad results against this lot over the years.

Dunno where to post it but just read an article in the Gaurdian about JD saying he could be back for the Arsenal match. Same article said that King doesnt feel any better than when he sustained his injury and is doubtful for the match. Apparently the medical staff think its a miracle we get as many games out of him as we do considering he doesnt train (would post link but I'm on the phone).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,467 ✭✭✭mushykeogh

My head says it will be the same old story. But.... van der vart, at old trafford, he might just fooking love it and play out of his skin. Utd are vulnerable when teams really have a go at them i think. Heres hoping. 1-3 spurs.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,239 ✭✭✭Robxxx7

Its about time we stepped upto the plate for these games, we just never seem to perform going there and i hope for a change this time ..being the eternal optomist i'll go for a 2-1 win :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,651 ✭✭✭golfball37

The sad thing is player for player we have a better team than them this Saturday. If we are serious about beating Inter Milan and joining the top table of European football then I think its about time we won away from home against one of the big English clubs. What better place or opportunity than this Saturday?

West Brom drew 2-2 here last time out, why oh why do I get the feeling however we will just not perform and not really care when we dont either?

Was reading on one betting site where the tipsters absolute nap of the weekend is Berbatove to score against his old club at 10/11. Sadly he's probably right. Lets prove him wrong for once?

• Registered Users Posts: 830 ✭✭✭Mullo76

Its time to put this run against them to bed. We have a good enough team and need to believe.

On another note Hudd is out according to offical site.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,395 ✭✭✭Hatch99

Mullo76 wrote: »
    Its time to put this run against them to bed. We have a good enough team and need to believe.

On another note Hudd is out according to offical site.

Yes with Hudd out, who would you play, Wilson or JJ ?

Most will disagree with me, but I'd play Wilson.

Team News

Tom Huddlestone is out of the frame for Saturday's trip to Manchester United.
    Harry Redknapp reported on Friday morning that the midfielder had yet to recover from the ankle injury that kept him out of last week's draw against Everton.
    Ledley King and Vedran Corluka both remain out with groin injuries.
    Better news sees Jermain Defoe making good progress after his ankle injury.

"We're really pleased with how he's coming on," said Harry. "He's always positive about getting back and playing."
    JD remains out though alongside long-term injured Michael Dawson, Jamie O'Hara and Jonathan Woodgate.

• Registered Users Posts: 858 ✭✭✭RichMc70

Looks like Ledley is still out, which means it will be Kaboul and Gallas partnership at the back. Hudd missing is a big loss.

I hope Harry goes with a 4-4-2 formation for this one.

Man Utd are not at their best at the moment so we should go there with confidence. Hopefully we get a good ref who doesn't bottle it.

My prediction is 2-2

Hatch99 wrote: »

Most will disagree with me, but I'd play Wilson.
    I'd go Wilson or Sandro JJ is liable to go asleep defensively :( shame he'd be brilliant if he could follow the runners

• Registered Users Posts: 830 ✭✭✭Mullo76

Hatch99 wrote: »

Sandro - give the lad a chance.

If not then Wilson - his confidence is shot but he can do a job for us when he is on his game, unfortunately hasnt been for a while and doesnt have the additional flair to his game that some other players have.

As for JJ, I dont rate him. Think he huffs and puffs with very little end product. He has all the tools, athletic, quick etc but doesnt do enough for me.

Mullo76 wrote: »
    Sandro - give the lad a chance.

If not then Wilson - his confidence is shot but he can do a job for us when he is on his game, unfortunately hasnt been for a while and doesnt have the additional flair to his game that some other players have.

As for JJ, I dont rate him. Think he huffs and puffs with very little end product. He has all the tools, athletic, quick etc but doesnt do enough for me.

Not sure about Sandro, he might needa bit more experience before he starts at OT.

Agree re Jenas, all the ability in the world, but no heart...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,713 ✭✭✭Cianan2

I must be the only one who thinks that JJ has improved yards this season...

I'm not sure about who could replace hudd tomorrow... I hope that whoever steps in will do a good job - perhaps having Sandro starting there could be a wild card for us, and having a start at OT will really get him pumping imo!

Fingers crossed that we start well, and go in at the break either even or 1 up! Then god knows we could really take them...

I agree with Cianan, JJ has come on a lot this season. Missing Thudd again is a big deal as we don't have a replacement 'quarterback' type player that he is. To compensate for this, we need energy and good close/tight passing. I don't rate either Jenas or Palacios particularly highly in this area, though they're our only real options.

I see Harry is contemplating resting Bale too and I sort of agree with him. I think Tuesday's match is more important than tomorrow as I can't see us changing the crazy statistics from this game.
    • Tottenham have failed to win any of their last 25 meetings with Manchester United in all competitions.
    • It's 21 years since Spurs last won at Old Trafford - a 1-0 victory in December 1989 courtesy of a Gary Lineker goal.
    • It's 67 games since Tottenham last won away to one of the Premier League's 'big four' of Manchester United, Chelsea, Arsenal and Liverpool.

SuprSi wrote: »
    I agree with Cianan, JJ has come on a lot this season. Missing Thudd again is a big deal as we don't have a replacement 'quarterback' type player that he is. To compensate for this, we need energy and good close/tight passing. I don't rate either Jenas or Palacios particularly highly in this area, though they're our only real options.

I see Harry is contemplating resting Bale too and I sort of agree with him. I think Tuesday's match is more important than tomorrow as I can't see us changing the crazy statistics from this game.
    • Tottenham have failed to win any of their last 25 meetings with Manchester United in all competitions.
    • It's 21 years since Spurs last won at Old Trafford - a 1-0 victory in December 1989 courtesy of a Gary Lineker goal.
    • It's 67 games since Tottenham last won away to one of the Premier League's 'big four' of Manchester United, Chelsea, Arsenal and Liverpool.
    This is our best chance it an incredibly long time to get a win there they haven't been great at the back but they have been good going forward so if we keep things tight follow the runners and push them wide Kaboul and Gallas should be able to head everything out

This is our best chance it an incredibly long time to get a win there they haven't been great at the back but they have been good going forward so if we keep things tight follow the runners and push them wide Kaboul and Gallas should be able to head everything out

Ah don't mind me, this is my perennial 'no hoper' match. Hopefully we'll give them a proper game at least.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,661 ✭✭✭mickman

Jenas is much better this season, no doubt about that but if he plays sat then may not play tues night , sandro can't play tues night so it looks like Wilson and sandro tomorrow with Luca on left as Harry is talking about resting bale

When he says he is thinking about resting bale makes me think tues night is the bigger game here. Lose sat which we do every year and it's not the end of the world. Lose tues night and it could be curtains in champs league

I'd have thought Bale would be capable of playing 2 games in 4 days, sure he's had the last 6 days as rest and could be rested for the Bolton game if necessary. I think the worst thing we could do is go up in the first half, it seems to serve as a catalyst for United to start playing against us. Hopefully we'll just keep things level for an hour or so and then anything could happen.

What is all this garbage about resting Bale, the boy hasn't played in a week, give it over.

mickman wrote: »
    it looks like Wilson and sandro tomorrow

If that is our midfield duo tomorrow, we will be murdered.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,057 ✭✭✭tippspur

We have to stop going 1-0 down in games before we start playing to have any chance tomorrow.

• Advertisement

COYS

Bale to score in 90 mins, 9/2.

Advertisement