Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Manchester United Away - Match Thread

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 656 ✭✭✭larry1

mushykeogh wrote: »
    Gomes error, no whistle, he was chancing his arm and got caught.

Totally agree. And the Old Trafford Stigma lives on...:(

• Registered Users Posts: 266 ✭✭marty2002

Despite what happened today, Spurs have got to break this hoodoo of not winning away to the suppossed top 3 or 4 teams if we want to be counted as one of the premierships elite. 17 years is just far too long. Ive already swiped this under the carpet and am looking forward to Milan.
    COYS

• Registered Users Posts: 858 ✭✭✭RichMc70

Another classic example of why teams like Man U will always be at the top. Time and time again we see Ref's who go to Old Trafford and consistently decide in favour of the home team.

Oh, how ironic that the ref tonight was the same a*shole who ruled that pedro mendes goal against UTD was not a goal five years ago. Coincidence........mmmmm.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,661 ✭✭✭mickman

RichMc70 wrote: »
    Another classic example of why teams like Man U will always be at the top. Time and time again we see Ref's who go to Old Trafford and consistently decide in favour of the home team.

Oh, how ironic that the ref tonight was the same a*shole who ruled that pedro mendes goal against UTD was not a goal five years ago. Coincidence........mmmmm.[/QUOTE

It was Gomes fault that the second goal went in today. The ref did not blow his whistle so it was play on. It was spurs going to sleep again .

• Registered Users Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭keane=cock

i agree gomes shouldnt have put the ball down. he obviously believed he had the free but i dont understand how the ref would over rule the assistant linesman here. he obviously seen the hand ball n thats why he flagged(albeit late) but as keegan said after the match you can never convince me that goal should stand.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,395 ✭✭✭Hatch99

We didn't play that well if Im honest. Some nice football but no cutting edge. Keane starting was stupid. He has hardly started a game and then from nowhere starts our toughest league game all season, on his own up top :rolleyes:

For the 1st goal, Kaboul was terrible, lost his man badly, terrible goal to give away.

For the 2nd. Yes Gomes was silly, why did he throw it on the ground for a free when the whistle never went :o
    But what followed was a joke in fairness. Surely common sense has to prevail, and a free out is given. The linesman was clueless too. He only lifted his flag when the ball was in the net, I'd say he didn't know what to do.

Couldn't believe it when I realised it was the same ref as the Pedro goal.

Fcuk it anyway...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,173 ✭✭✭yiddo59

mickman wrote: »
    It was Gomes fault that the second goal went in today. The ref did not blow his whistle so it was play on. It was spurs going to sleep again .

nail on the head. end of story.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,153 ✭✭✭everdead.ie

I thought modric played really well again to be honest there wasn't too much between the teams at all if we had a better striker up front it could of made a huge difference in reality United were better just about Park was very good and Lennon didn't do anything second half maybe because he was tracking back the whole time but in reality they only had the goal that was a good chance Gomes had everything else covered well we had two chances really VDV against the post and Pavs deflected shot.

Someone need to tell Pav to buff up though could help him hugely

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭Kold

Vanbis wrote: »
    You read some tripe on the soccer forum but this just about sums up the bitterness around here.

Of course we're bitter. What exactly are you trying to say here or do you have a point?

• Registered Users Posts: 242 ✭✭tomo75

Watched the game, I think Gomes was at fault. Either way, some decisions you get and some you don't. We just don't get any decisions at OT. Hand on heart, I never expect to get anything at OT while SAF is about. Roy Keane said once that some really good team Spurs teams would come to old traffod in really good form but would leave disheartened cos they didn't have the balls for the fight. Unforunately, he is correct. To become a regular Top 4 side we need to be completely ruthless against lower placed teams than us and have the stomach for a fight against the Top 3 (us being the 4th). I would much prefer to beat UTD at WHL in the second half of the season when points are more crucial.

Anyway, on a positive note, roll on Inter at White Hart Lane!!

• Advertisement

Story with VDV? They said a 'twinge' in his calf. Could just be a light pull?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,776 ✭✭✭Big Pussy Bonpensiero

Kold wrote: »
    Story with VDV? They said a 'twinge' in his calf. Could just be a light pull?

Looked like his hamstring, not sure though, would say it was only cramp and came off as a precaution.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,946 ✭✭✭SuprSi

Sorry guys, don't fully agree with it being Gomes fault. He saw an obvious handball, assumed he had a freekick, or at worst advantage, to the point that if a Utd player touched the ball it wouldn't be advantage and he'd get a free kick, and wanted to get the ball moving. We were 1 down with a few minutes to go, so he wanted to get the ball up the pitch. The ref, after consulting with the linesman should've disallowed the goal and given the freekick.

Shocking stuff, but at least it didn't happen with the scores all square.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,467 ✭✭✭mushykeogh

SuprSi wrote: »
    Sorry guys, don't fully agree with it being Gomes fault. He saw an obvious handball, assumed he had a freekick, or at worst advantage,
    thats the problem for me, he assumed, there was no whistle so why should he assume he has a free kick? Sloppy and unprofessional for me, as blatant as thw handball was, there was no whistle.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,651 ✭✭✭golfball37

the 2nd goal doesn't change the fact they didn't bust a gut away at Old Trafford once again.

I knew by their body language in the first 10 mins when they didn't even close down UTd that they didn't believe they could win. Jenas, Keane and Lennon may as well have stayed at home for the effort they put in.

Why, I'll never understand?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,059 ✭✭✭Pacing Mule

I 60% blame the assistant referee, 20% the ref himself and 20% Gomes.

From the refs point of view Nani has gone down in the box very theatrically. If it's not a penalty he should have been booked for diving and a free kick awarded. That's clattenbergs first mistake. That said he doesn't blow the whistle, the ball is in Gomes' hands and the ref is running back up the pitch expecting a clearance.

When Nani hit the deck he blatantly handballed but this was not and could not have been seen by the ref at the time. It was the assistant refs job to raise his flag there and then which he didn't. (He only raised it later / after the incident which was way too late because play had progressed at that point - the flag needed to be raised at the time of the handball)

Gomes runs forward and drops the ball. Steps back a few paces and Nani rather unsportingly kicks the ball in for a goal. From Nanis point of view the ball is in open play and Gomes has forgotten he is behind him - like the classic Shay Given incident a few years back. Unsporting perhaps but not wrong by the rules of the game. It can be argued that an advantage was being played and that play should have been brought back when the advantage did not transpire BUT it can be argued also that Gomes's few steps forward constitiute the taking advantage before making a cock up by dropping the ball without realising Nani was behind him. If Gomes hadn't of ran forward before dropping it could have been disallowed.

watched the high lights - didnt see the whole game but on the highlights our friend robbie didnt show up once

how did he play?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,776 ✭✭✭Big Pussy Bonpensiero

mickman wrote: »
    watched the high lights - didnt see the whole game but on the highlights our friend robbie didnt show up once

how did he play?

Says it all really. Just didnt do anything - good or bad. I think he played in Lennon at one stage.

THFC wrote: »
    Says it all really. Just didnt do anything - good or bad. I think he played in Lennon at one stage.
    He didn't get any service either though he held up the ball in the box once beating vidic and laid it off to Lennon that was all though we did in reality play very well in the build up but didn't have the final ball

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,172 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,213 ✭✭✭✭therecklessone

Don't expect me to come out on the TV any more, ever, and speak to the press after the game, because I won't do it

I'll be keeping an eye out for flying pigs as well...:D

I think Harry has been very clever here he has protected Gomes from critisim and has put pressure on refs to give us a bit more leinancy/give us decisions Ferguson and Wenger have been doing it for years

To be honest we haven't had a very good start at all have we it's pretty worrying as we seem to keep on coming up against teams who in there last 2/3 matches have hit form

Exactly. Mr Media n all....

Well if Ferguson doesn't have to...?

in all fairness like clattenberg is a self confessed united fan and he has made clangers that benefit united all the time. its nonsense having a united fan ref a united home game

they should do what the rugby guys do, bring in french refs for english games and vice versa

Kold wrote: »
    Well if Ferguson doesn't have to...?

Ferguson not doing them with BBC has nothing to do with ref decisons.

• Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭Undercover

No, but it's still ridiculous that he's getting away with it despite the new rule being brought in.

Advertisement