Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Prepay Networks & Data "Bundles"

Options
  • 28-10-2010 1:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 562 ✭✭✭

Right, this morning i spent a while on Youtube, and not noticing that HQ was on, i guess my data began to leak!
    Long story short, i go on the website this morning and am presented with a shock: 677mb since october the 1st or €23........ And €9.88 Today, cause i went over by .63MB
    I'm on the Free Browsing plan, so Free Meteor texts and 250MB, and i didn't have a clue i was over the 250MB

This isn't the first time it happened, so im asking this:

Should Networks give an ADVANCE warning of when you're going to run over you bundle? Especially if you're on PrePay!

Should Networks Alert You In Advance of Going Over You're Data Limit 19 votes

Yes, definately!
    0% 0 votes
    No, i don't use data
    89% 17 votes
    No, i use 3G Watchdog etc
    0% 0 votes
    Yes, i've been caught before
    10% 2 votes

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,654 ✭✭✭jordainius

Networks should definitely give the option, but at the same time people should learn to be more aware of what they use. If someone goes over their limit they've only themself to blame.:(*

*(That said, the prices the networks charge for going over are an absolute disgrace and indefensible.)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,373 ✭✭✭Shane O' Malley

jwcurtin wrote: »
    Right, this morning i spent a while on Youtube, and not noticing that HQ was on, i guess my data began to leak!
    Long story short, i go on the website this morning and am presented with a shock: 677mb since october the 1st or €23........ And €9.88 Today, cause i went over by .63MB
    I'm on the Free Browsing plan, so Free Meteor texts and 250MB, and i didn't have a clue i was over the 250MB

This isn't the first time it happened, so im asking this:

Should Networks give an ADVANCE warning of when you're going to run over you bundle? Especially if you're on PrePay!

I believe it has just been made law that they have to inform the customer that they are going over their data allowance. (By Text message i think)

• Registered Users Posts: 562 ✭✭✭jwcurtin

jordainius wrote: »
    Networks should definitely give the option, but at the same time people should learn to be more aware of what they use. If someone goes over their limit they've only themself to blame.:(*

*(That said, the prices the networks charge for going over are an absolute disgrace and indefensible.)

Ya i know what ya mean, i normally use 3G Watchdog, but since i changed rom on Android, it's just been a massive FAIL. Not working at all!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,030 ✭✭✭angel01

For instance, I have 2GB internet but I know that going on youtube is going to use a lot of bandwidth so I don't use it. People have to take more responsibility for what sites they visit and how much internet they are using.

angel01 wrote: »
    For instance, I have 2GB internet but I know that going on youtube is going to use a lot of bandwidth so I don't use it. People have to take more responsibility for what sites they visit and how much internet they are using.

I understand what you mean, but for people who pick up their phone, and just want to look up a video, or download an App while on the go, i think there should be an Alert

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

Youtube and a 250mb limit is just a terrible idea!
    250mb is nothing really.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,919 ✭✭✭✭Mimikyu

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,234 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

There should be an alert or at the very least a simple way to check your remaining limit on your phone.

At present, correct me if i'm wrong.

o2, no pre pay data add on, bill pay you can log into the o2 website and check remaining balance.

Vodafone, no way to check remaining data on pre pay or bill pay from your phone, you must log into the Vodafone website to check what's left. (website balance isn't up to date, can run 7 days behind)

Meteor, no way to check pre pay balance on phone, you need to log into meteor website to check, bill pay can text "balance data" to 50104 or check online.

3, can be checked anytime from your phone through planet 3, bill pay and pre pay.

I don't know about any of the MVNO's but I doubt any of them are better than their big brothers.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,182 ✭✭✭dionsiseire

Have to say Three is impressive, Reception and Internet coverage seems to have improved largely of late.

Data can be checked, Txt if data is running low, have 500mb of interest for €5, Free texts to anyone at all times and Free weekend calls for €20 credit. Leaving me €15 for midweek calls. Excellent stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

Have to say Three is impressive, Reception and Internet coverage seems to have improved largely of late.

Data can be checked, Txt if data is running low, have 500mb of interest for €5, Free texts to anyone at all times and Free weekend calls for €20 credit. Leaving me €15 for midweek calls. Excellent stuff.

So when you top up by 20, 5 of that goes towards internet and then you're left with the rest for calls and texts correct?

I've been thinking about changing over to 3, but 500 is still pretty tiny. If it was 2Gb i'd jump ship in a heart beat.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,182 ✭✭✭dionsiseire

Thats €20 top which activates FREE Texts at any time to anyone, FREE calls saturday and sunday to ANY network.

You still have €20 left

Then €5 add-on for Internet 500mb, leaving you with €15 for additional internet or weekday calls. If they added options of 1GB or 2GB as add-on's it indeed would be amazing but I find it hard to hit over 300mb and I occasionally stream MP3's, browser as I want. It's honestly more than enough 500mb for a not too full on user.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,234 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

So when you top up by 20, 5 of that goes towards internet and then you're left with the rest for calls and texts correct?

I've been thinking about changing over to 3, but 500 is still pretty tiny. If it was 2Gb i'd jump **** in a heart beat.

They give you 5 euro for topping up for the first 10mts. So you could draw down the 500mb's as you need them, if you only used 1.5Gb(15 euro) you'd still have 10 euro credit left and free weekend calls and anytime text to everybody.
    Planet 3 is free so if your checking the news, weather, skype, msn, and any other free content you don't even need an add on or credit. I'd day you'd easily get away with under 1gb if your not a video junky.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,277 ✭✭✭evolutionqy7

Well i wish they would just give ya the option to stop internet once you reach your daily limit. (which should be set by you) Rather than when your credit runs out

Too many times 20 euro went in a matter of minutes :S

If i'm right doesn't that unlimited texts offer end on 3 on the 3rd Of November?
    It's the only reason i didn't port:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,654 ✭✭✭jordainius

jwcurtin wrote: »
    If i'm right doesn't that unlimited texts offer end on 3 on the 3rd Of November?
    It's the only reason i didn't port:rolleyes:

Correct! But I can't see them not extending it, they'd lose the vast majority of the customers they've gained over the last 6 months!

jordainius wrote: »
    Correct! But I can't see them not extending it, they'd lose the vast majority of the customers they've gained over the last 6 months!

In that case i'm over to 3!

Advertisement