Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Upgrade old gaming desktop

Options
  • 28-10-2010 1:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 337 ✭✭

I've got a gaming desktop thats about 4 years old now and pretty much is on its last legs. Heres the spec it currently has:

CPU : Intel Quad Core Q6600
    Ram : 2gbs DDR2 (Not sure exact specs)
    GPU : Radeon 4850
    PSU : 600W
    Monitor : 7 year old Dell 20inch :( 22inch LG on the way though!
    Moboard : Some old ASUS ATX motherboard, just got it cause it was compliant with the Intel chip

I'm just wondering if anybody has any suggestions as to what I shuold upgrade to? I was thinking of upgrading to an i7-930, its pretty expensive at 250 though and the graphics card will be used for a lot of first person shooters and rts games. I'd like if I didn't have to upgrade the PSU. My budget is around 500-600.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,710 ✭✭✭Monotype

That's still a reasonable system and could be resurrected. You could upgrade the processor to a Q9xxx, but I don't think it would really justify the cost even if the board did support it.

The weakest part is the RAM. An extra 2GB would be good, assuming you have the available slots.
    If it's sluggish, maybe reinstall the OS.
    Possibly a new GPU. Something along the lines of a 6850?

Any more info on your PSU?

IMO, spend some of your budget and save for a new PC in a year when the difference is greater and the new processors/boards come out.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭lmimmfn

thats still a decent system, like was said, add 2 Gig of ram( you'll be suffering paging at the moment with some games which will mean framerates fluctuate ).

I would also consider an ATI 6850 or Nvidia 460 1Gig.

If you can make that rig last until next year, Sandy Bridge will be out in January( but probably wont be cheap until mid next year ). Its a whole new socket and cpu so none of the existing stuff will work. Its better to hold out a few months before considering new cpu + mobo etc.

Also can you get the model of that Asus mobo? as its old im presuming its either a 680i/650i/750i or 780i. If its either of the latter it will take a Q8XX0/Q9XX0 quad core. If its the former it may work( 650i/680i mobos arent compatible with the Q9XX0 processors however the Asus ones were hybrids and could take them with a bios update ).

I would get the ram and a new gfx card and a cooler for that quad core and overclock it.

• Registered Users Posts: 337 ✭✭Doctor_Socks

Thanks for the replies, the current mobo I have is this one:

http://usa.asus.com/Product.aspx?P_ID=KyHOsOKWujC2QguJ

I think i'll just buy another 2 gigs of ram and install a fresh version of windows 7 instead of the old sluggy xp that I have.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭lmimmfn

Thanks for the replies, the current mobo I have is this one:

http://usa.asus.com/Product.aspx?P_ID=KyHOsOKWujC2QguJ

I think i'll just buy another 2 gigs of ram and install a fresh version of windows 7 instead of the old sluggy xp that I have.
    yeah, it wont support the newer quads( its a 650i ) - http://support.asus.com/cpusupport/cpusupport.aspx?SLanguage=en-us&model=P5N-E%20SLI

Advertisement