Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

something to sink your teeth into

• 28-10-2010 2:26pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,584 ✭✭✭

spotted this a min ago

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?threadid=2056071399

if some people are interested here - it could earn you some money for extra lenses/flashes etc

Personally its the "right to pass on your images for others to use to promote waterford" that I dont agree with

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,728 ✭✭✭dazftw

I repeat what I said on that thread about the council using your images:

"If you think about it though, if you're aspiring to become a photographer how handy would it be for a local council to use your photograph to promote the city. People are seeing your work and that's the most important thing. Also it doesn't mean you cant use it. Its your photograph at the end of the day. They're not going to use it for something bad.

Plus they're probably only going use the winning photo's in which case you get paid more than you probably would if they hired you to do it.

If you're not aspiring to become a photographer you would just be happy to see your photo in the paper smile.gif"

They're not making money from your photo. They're promoting the city with your work. That has your name on it. That gets your name out there.

Network with your people: https://www.builtinireland.ie/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,584 ✭✭✭PCPhoto

dazftw wrote: »
    I repeat what I said on that thread about the council using your images:

"If you think about it though, if you're aspiring to become a photographer how handy would it be for a local council to use your photograph to promote the city. People are seeing your work and that's the most important thing. Also it doesn't mean you cant use it. Its your photograph at the end of the day. They're not going to use it for something bad.

Plus they're probably only going use the winning photo's in which case you get paid more than you probably would if they hired you to do it.

If you're not aspiring to become a photographer you would just be happy to see your photo in the paper smile.gif"

They're not making money from your photo. They're promoting the city with your work. That has your name on it. That gets your name out there.

but the problem is one of the terms and conditions is that they have the right to give your image to a "partner" so that the "partner" may promote Waterford ... this to me suggests they could create batches of images and sell them to companies for their websites, or images supplied to them could end up on tourism ireland website or some brochure - all of which means the original photographer wont get any extra pay for it...and probably not even credited.

but as you said - if you have some images and no intention of making money from photography - then give them the images - you might win some money (even though others on the thread suggest that the decision on who gets the winning money is already made)

PCPhoto wrote: »
    but the problem is one of the terms and conditions is that they have the right to give your image to a "partner" so that the "partner" may promote Waterford ... this to me suggests they could create batches of images and sell them to companies for their websites, or images supplied to them could end up on tourism ireland website or some brochure - all of which means the original photographer wont get any extra pay for it...and probably not even credited.

but as you said - if you have some images and no intention of making money from photography - then give them the images - you might win some money (even though others on the thread suggest that the decision on who gets the winning money is already made)

The more I think about it, it just sounds worse. They want professional photographers to submit images. Meaning they want good images for probably cheaper than they would pay to hire one, but put a competition spin on it to make it sound good. Yeah its pretty crappy but I don't see anything REALLY wrong with it. You don't have to enter. Maybe you enter and don't win but your photo turns up in a brochure/website. Make a scan/copy of it and use it in your portfolio. This is from the viewpoint of an aspiring photographer. "My photos were used for advertising! Great I can use this to promote myself!" If you're pro then I can see why you would be annoyed, but hey you entered the competition.

I'm going to enter a few photos anyway. What have I got to lose?

I'm probably the only one with this mindset :p

As for the competition being fixed. It damn well could be but there is a lot of BS and rumours on the Waterford forum in general. That guy that said it, all he's saying is how its not worth it. Maybe he's trying to dissuade people to give himself a better chance?

dazftw wrote: »

As for the competition being fixed. It damn well could be but there is a lot of BS and rumours on the Waterford forum in general. That guy that said it, all he's saying is how its not worth it. Maybe he's trying to dissuade people to give himself a better chance?

conspiracy theorist are we ?

I dont think I have any photos of Waterford - but doubt I would have entered in anyway....the rules are just sneaky - you effectively give them the right to pass on (which means they can sell your images for profit) ... you wont own your image after giving them to this competition - but like you said there is always someone out there who is just happy to be printed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,081 ✭✭✭sheesh

PCphoto alot of companies are doing that these days in some ways it's not fair

I'm sure the guys on the judging panel are getting paid for their time. The county council could have comissioned a local photographer to take pictures during the year and pay him for exclusive rights to the images probably but they would be doing themselves out of cash.

Remember this is happening all over people getting their websites made by companies in China and india for a fraction of what irish companies charge its just the way of the world

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,058 ✭✭✭Dara Robinson

seems like an easy and cheap way for Waterford city council to get a tonne of images they can use for promotional purposes, give them selves full rights and have no back lash from anyone.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,393 ✭✭✭AnCatDubh

a bit of a rights grab :( however, that said, I'd be guessing that it is directed at an audience other than those of us who value the photographs that we take. damnnnnnn weekend warriors.... wait a minute...... i think that may include many of us :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,058 ✭✭✭Dara Robinson

been thinking about it since and its becoming very standard actually. Funny thing is that Photographers normally dont charge that much for their work. But you look at FB, they have full and crazy ass rights to your photos when you upload them and so many Photographers, pro's and up and coming ones, are uploading their work there.
    Might be a wave of the future, lets hope not though

most if not all PRO's (and loads of non-pro's) who upload to FB will only upload a low res image and watermarked ...so even if FB want to use it its not really of much use.

Iv'e emailed the council to find out find what the deal is. Do they own them or do we still own them once entered.

• Advertisement

Got this email back
    Hi Darren
    Thanks for your email.

Your images are still your own to use and sell as you see fit. By entering the competition, you have given us the right to use them (or crop, resize etc.) them for promotional purposes.

Best regards

I honestly don't have a problem with this. If I don't win sure they'll probably never be used.

Advertisement