Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Where can you exchange your coppers?

Options
  • 28-10-2010 2:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭

Where in the city can you get coppers changed? I've seen it in a supermarket somewhere but can't remember which one...

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,155 ✭✭✭PopeBuckfastXVI

Supervalu on Fr. Griffin Road, or in Ballybane have the machines, they charge 9.5% commission though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,542 ✭✭✭Captain Darling

Bag them properly and go to a bank. No 9.5% charge there.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,220 ✭✭✭bonzodog2

I think Joyce's in Knocknacarra may have it, but I haven't been there in a long time. Their shop in Athenry does.

An alternative - buy something small in Tesco and use the self-service till, they take coins. No commission !

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 17,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭Das Kitty

Bag them and bring them to the bank. Just cashed €20 worth of coppers from a small piggybank.

• Registered Users Posts: 414 ✭✭apoeiguq3094y

techyjon wrote: »
    Where in the city can you get coppers changed? I've seen it in a supermarket somewhere but can't remember which one...
    Fairly sure terryland dunnes has one, but it takes a shocking commision.

You could always bag it up and exchange it at your local shop.

Or else be a complete b*ll*x and count it all out at the till in tesco or something.

Or give it all to charity......... save you counting it.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,275 ✭✭✭Fionn MacCool

Spend them on your shopping using the self-service yokes in Tesco

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,689 ✭✭✭joeKel73

I lived over in Norway for a while and banks had these, just swiped your bank card, dump in the coins and it credited your account. Wish banks here had it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,149 ✭✭✭PEACEBROTHER

how do you mean , bag them properly, is there a specific amount in each bag ?
    Stupid question i know ?:rolleyes:
    Thaks

• Registered Users Posts: 414 ✭✭apoeiguq3094y

how do you mean , bag them properly, is there a specific amount in each bag ?
    Stupid question i know ?:rolleyes:
    Thaks

Yeah there's a special bag. it has the amounts on the front. As far as i remember is €50 in €2s, €25 in €1s and 50c, €10 in 20c and 10c, €5 in 5c and probably €2 and €1 for 2c and 1c. more http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056011760

You can get them off the post office and i think some stationery shops have them.

If you want to save counting them, most shops have a machine for counting by weight - as long as you tell it what coin you're counting. (they will even count notes)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,778 ✭✭✭Big Pussy Bonpensiero

If you want to save counting them, most shops have a machine for counting by weight - as long as you tell it what coin you're counting. (they will even count notes)

That couldn't be right could it? Because then yeh could just lump in a load of 1c's and say they're 2 euro coins.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,104 ✭✭✭moonflower

THFC wrote: »
    That couldn't be right could it? Because then yeh could just lump in a load of 1c's and say they're 2 euro coins.

It counts them by weight, so I'd imagine it would know if you tried to do that.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,778 ✭✭✭Big Pussy Bonpensiero

Oh, I thought he meant the machine weighs the whole lot of them.... whoops, never mind...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,282 ✭✭✭thefeatheredcat

Your best bet really is to go to the bank and ask for the coin bags (free btw) and just fill them up with the right amounts. I do this all the time with the small change with BoI and there's no charge or anything. You can pop into any bank branch of your own bank to get them changed or lodged into your account (make sure you have your atm card handy as they like to check you do have an account with them) and they usually insist that the bags must be full and just weigh them.

However, if you've left over bits you can always go to your local shop when it's quiet and they may change the small bits for you (hassle to count for large amounts so small amounts I'd say they would take) as I understand they get charged for coins by the bank when they need them.

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭techyjon

foto joe wrote: »
    I lived over in Norway for a while and banks had these, just swiped your bank card, dump in the coins and it credited your account. Wish banks here had it.

that wouldn't work here because the banks aren't as trustworthy as in Norway

• Registered Users Posts: 1,644 ✭✭✭Asmodean

Theres a guy that always comes into our shop and pays with change pre counted in the bags. Never bothers me tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,345 ✭✭✭Dunjohn

If you go to a bank, make sure you go to your own bank. Some banks get a bit antsy with non-customers looking to change coin and may charge a fee. They'll probably give you a few of the bags for free, though. The amounts for each coin are listed on the bag.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,966 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Supervalu on Fr. Griffin Road, or in Ballybane have the machines, they charge 9.5% commission though.

I'll do it for 7%.

(someone had to say it!)

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭lookinbusy

Any of those Arcades out in salthill should change them for ya, no commision either. You might have to play a few turns on the slots to make it look like you won it there though. If you've got lots, spread it round a few different Arcades.

On a similar note: someone once told me they sell coin-counting jars in Galway. Does anyone know where? Similar to this one.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,848 ✭✭✭?Cee?view

Don't want to be a killjoy, but would you ever just consider giving them to charity?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,390 ✭✭✭inisboffin

On a similar note: someone once told me they sell coin-counting jars in Galway. Does anyone know where? Similar to this one.

they have 'em at a few of the Dunnes'. They're in the novelty display with the Simpsons mugs and Monty Python can openers etc :)
    They're not great for a lot of coins to be honest, as you would have to re count and separate them for a bank. They'd be grand for a money box though or counting how much you save if you give up fags!

churchview wrote: »
    Don't want to be a killjoy, but would you ever just consider giving them to charity?

Of course this is a good idea if it is just your loose change. But for some it makes up a chunk of income, like buskers or some of the Market stall holders. Some students use their change as their 'bank' to save for stuff like heating oil, odd though it seems! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,985 ✭✭✭skelliser

JustMary wrote: »
    I'll do it for 7%.

(someone had to say it!)

Il do it for 6%!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,848 ✭✭✭?Cee?view

inisboffin wrote: »
    Of course this is a good idea if it is just your loose change. But for some it makes up a chunk of income, like buskers or some of the Market stall holders. Some students use their change as their 'bank' to save for stuff like heating oil, odd though it seems! :)

Very fair point. I was only thinking of the clearing the pockets of crap scenario.

inisboffin wrote: »
    they have 'em at a few of the Dunnes'. They're in the novelty display with the Simpsons mugs and Monty Python can openers etc :)
    They're not great for a lot of coins to be honest, as you would have to re count and separate them for a bank. They'd be grand for a money box though or counting how much you save if you give up fags!

I've loads of spare change but not the patience to count all the 1c and 2c coins, so a jar like that would be useful for me to know how much I've got.

I've loads of spare change but not the patience to count all the 1c and 2c coins, so a jar like that would be useful for me to know how much I've got.

Ah grand. I just meant that you'd have to recount it if it is different denominations if you ever want to cash it in. You could get one for your pennies and one for your 2c's though.:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,210 ✭✭✭dolphin city

foto joe wrote: »

here they just swipe your bank card and dump you in the river. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 259 ✭✭Ruby_Woo

Avon does them too, I saw them in the latest brochure if you know anyone that sells the stuff! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 131 ✭✭BornToBe?

Asmodean wrote: »
    Theres a guy that always comes into our shop and pays with change pre counted in the bags. Never bothers me tbh.

which shop? some shops dont like it, even tho when I worked in a shop we were nearly begging people for change.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,085 ✭✭✭Xiney

I used to use my coppers on the bus (easy to count out your fare while you're waiting - nobody behind you at the tills attempting to telepathically set you alight)

Now I just dump them into the tesco self service tills.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement