Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Banned from Pro Wrestling

Options
  • 28-10-2010 2:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 86,480 ✭✭✭✭

Hi JP Liz V1,

You have been banned from Pro Wrestling for the following duration:

3 Month(s)

for the following reason:

Unnacceptable racism. I know you werre probably just having a joke, but there are limits of what is acceptable. If you want to dispute this, please contact the sports cmods/admins.

gimmick

Providing your ban is not permanent, it will be lifted automatically after 3 Month(s). You will get an automatic message informing you that the ban is lifted. If you do not receive this message after the allotted time, please PM a moderator to clarify.

Bans occur after a serious rules breach so please keep in mind that Moderators don't just decide to ban people out of the blue. If you wish to appeal this ban, please follow our Dispute Resolution Process here. Your first action should always be to PM the Moderator(s) of the forum to discuss the ban. Remember that our Mods are volunteers and are not always online, so they may not be able to answer you straight away.

All the best,
    boards.ie

I have been banned for 3 months for a racist comment

This was my the original post
    Why the hell couldnt Slater and Gabriel team for the tag titles instead of Cena and Orangotunga

Once the mod had said it was racist I changed it as soon as possible to
    Why the hell couldnt Slater and Gabriel team for the tag titles instead of Cena and Otunga

After receiving the warning and the ban I contacted the mod
    Hi Gimmick

I am sorry for the comment which I have edited but I wasnt meaning it as a racist comment at all. I am surprised and a little shocked at the ban tbh. Can I appeal it or is it best to wait it out? 3 months off PW is a lot for me.

Regards

Liz

Mod's reply
    Hi Liz. You can of course appeal it but you run the risk of it being upped or worse, made permanent. I have consulted other pw mods and they agree with both the ban and its severity.

That said the reason for the helpdesk forum is for issues like this. Sorry but that is the best i can do. If you do start a thread there feel free to use my pms. If admin find me out of line i will whole heartedly apologise.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 26,061 ✭✭✭✭Terry

Hi, Liz.
    We (the PW mods) have been discussing this decision via PM and will have our final decision either tomorrow or Saturday.

Should this decision not be to your satisfaction, then you have the option of taking this dispute to the Cmods (Sparks and uberwolf). I'd suggest sending the link to this thread to them.

In the mean time I would like to request that you give us until late Saturday/ early Sunday to get back to you on this.
    Please take into consideration that some of the mods are currently travelling due to work comittments, so they have limited access at the moment. This is the reason behind the delay.

Looking at this from the perspective of a PW mod, I did see your comment as being racist. Your follow up comment all but confirmed this, in my opinion.
    It was quoted by another user afterwards. This user was under no obligation to edit their post to remove your comment.
    Your edit was only made after gimmick questioned your motives behind the comment.

Without wishing to sound condescending, this is why the site has mods. I firmly believe that if gimmick had not questioned you, then the comment would have remained and that you would have made the same one again at a later stage.

As for the length of the ban; this is something that I personally have been mulling over and will be discussing with gimmick and our fellow mods.

• Registered Users Posts: 86,480 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Any update on this matter please?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,580 ✭✭✭uberwolf

I've PM'd Terry for feedback.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,061 ✭✭✭✭Terry

Replied with recommendations.

JP Liz V1, sorry about the delay. I've been working and then I forgot to get back to you.

OP, are you concerned about the substance or the length of the ban?

• Advertisement

uberwolf wrote: »
    OP, are you concerned about the substance or the length of the ban?

TBH I feel there has been far worst comments in the past posted and mods have edited or deleted and I do think the length of the ban is too long and also I feel I have been waiting quite a bit for resolution answers also.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

It was me who imposed the ban, and the reason I banned Liz was due to a racist comment. I do think that racism crosses (my) line anyway. The last time anyone made a racist comment on PW he was given a lengthy ban as well.

gimmick wrote: »
    It was me who imposed the ban, and the reason I banned Liz was due to a racist comment. I do think that racism crosses (my) line anyway. The last time anyone made a racist comment on PW he was given a lengthy ban as well.

Fair enough Gimmick, I just hope to get a resolution answer soon enough

I'm going to bounce this up to an admin.

I believe you made a racist comment, and whilst the ban seems long, I'm not sure how boards views racists comments and where they lie relative to homophobic or any other bigoted comments, and whether your comment is racist 'lite' as such.

uberwolf wrote: »
    I'm going to bounce this up to an admin.

I believe you made a racist comment, and whilst the ban seems long, I'm not sure how boards views racists comments and where they lie relative to homophobic or any other bigoted comments, and whether your comment is racist 'lite' as such.

Ok thanks all

I just hope to get a answer soon enough

• Advertisement

Any update on this matter please?

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,305 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

I know nothing about wrestling so I had to do a bit of Googling to familiarise myself with the subject of Liz's post. I think that it's fair to say that the mod's assessment was correct, the comment was racist, there's no getting away from that fact. That said, you did change your post when called on it by gimmick, although your comment that you "don't like the tool" is hardly justification for such a comment in the first place. I definitely think that a ban was in order, although I'm going to discuss the length of it with the mods. I'll be back to you shortly on this.

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,305 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

I've discussed this issue with the PW mods and Sports CMods, and it has been agreed that your ban be reduced to a month, and as you've served just about a month at this stage I'm going to lift it now. This isn't to say that the ban was incorrect in any way, it was warranted for the comment you made, but on reflection the punishment may have been a bit severe for a first offence of this nature. It would be appreciated if you chose your words a little more carefully in future.

Thanks issued resolved thread can be closed

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement