Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

When did you last use a payphone....

• 28-10-2010 3:19pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,293 ✭✭✭✭

and why?

With most of us now having a mobile phone, some of us having two, the use of pay phones are becoming less and less and are even now starting to disappear due to their cost to run being more than what they are taking in.

So the question is, when and why did you last use one.

Me it was about 5 or 6 years ago atleast, and only becuase the battery on the mobile was dead.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 830 ✭✭✭who what when

Ive never ever used one. And im 27.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,528 ✭✭✭jubella

About a month ago because my phone's battery was dead. It did feel really weird to use one though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 319 ✭✭netnerd

a few weeks ago, as its a hell of a lot cheaper to use a payphone than to pay O2's extortionate roaming charges.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,523 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

the last time lex luthor was in town :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 736 ✭✭✭Dilynnio

On the 21st November 1998....I rang my Mummy to collect me from the pub!!!
    It was a cold wet night! :D

• Advertisement
  • Hosted Moderators Posts: 17,424 ✭✭✭✭Conor Bourke

Last time I did it was to ring work to tell them I'd be late as I'd thrown a burrito out of my car window, knocking down a motorcyclist. As punishment he kicked my dog over a bridge and the trauma was just too much for me to take.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,355 ✭✭✭punchdrunk

about ten years ago,to ring a taxi for paul mcgrath as he was staggering down dame st locked and drivers would stop because of the state he was in

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,689 ✭✭✭✭OutlawPete

Last night, mobile is on the blink and needed to check for voicemail as I was in town.

€1 fecking minimum charge :mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,326 ✭✭✭Scuid Mhór

a couple of years ago, i walked by this payphone and it started ringing. so i picked it up. 'stu shepard?' a deep, american voice intercepted my ear drums.

never again will i go near a payphone.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,112 ✭✭✭flyton5

Last weekend. I was dying for a piss...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,163 ✭✭✭yeppydeppy

I'd guess sometime in the early ninties, cause my phone battery had died. Since then, why bother use a pay phone? Even the dogs in the streets have mobiles today so I'd just ask to borrow someones for a quick call, if stuck.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,778 ✭✭✭Big Pussy Bonpensiero

Few months ago, phone was broken and I needed a lift. Had to read the instructions though and it still took me about a minute figure out.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,556 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

A few months ago. I got a flat tyre and rang for a lift.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,327 ✭✭✭Sykk

In Australia when I was ringing the ould fella asking him to pay my flights home :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,554 ✭✭✭✭alwaysadub

1996 maybe. I got a mobile around then and don't think i've ever needed a pay phone since.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,018 ✭✭✭conorhal

About a month ago in town.... to ring my mobile....that I had drunkenly misplaced. :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,335 ✭✭✭rugbug86

In London last year. To take a picture of me inside it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,163 ✭✭✭smk89

15 minutes ago, I locked myself out of the house without my phone and called my landlord.
    Never felt so special in all my life

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,159 ✭✭✭✭phasers

I was in London a couple of years ago and had no money for credit, I rang my Mam collect to ask her to send me some credit

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,233 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

I can't remember ever using one

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,740 ✭✭✭Asphyxia

Years ago we used to ring random numbers on it twas so funny :D

• Registered Users Posts: 45 DaMagooster

Last time I did it was to ring work to tell them I'd be late as I'd thrown a burrito out of my car window, knocking down a motorcyclist. As punishment he kicked my dog over a bridge and the trauma was just too much for me to take.

Were you locked in a glass case of emotion at the time? :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 clawless

Last year as part of an elaborate geocache in town.
    Took ages to find it but was worth it for the excitment of finding it in the end!

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 17,424 ✭✭✭✭Conor Bourke

Were you locked in a glass case of emotion at the time? :D

Yes :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,295 ✭✭✭✭Duggy747

Last time I was in a phonebox was about 5 years ago when my mobile's battery died and I needed to make a phone call.

I picked up the handset and there was a big, slimy phlem on the earpiece, courtesy of some scumbag :( I didn't use it in the end.

Before that was when Eircom was Telecom Éireann................and this website used to be nothing but fields..............as far as the eye could see! :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,080 ✭✭✭Gunsfortoys

Glad they are disappearing, I remember if you got straight to a voicemail your 2euro would be gone in a flash. Eircom are feeling Karma to the extreme at the moment.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,105 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

In around 2000 to make a prank of course. gf used it to call me when her phone dies, only reason I can think of.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,038 ✭✭✭jackiebaron

irish-stew wrote: »
    and why?

With most of us now having a mobile phone, some of us having two, the use of pay phones are becoming less and less and are even now starting to disappear due to their cost to run being more than what they are taking in.

So the question is, when and why did you last use one.

Me it was about 5 or 6 years ago atleast, and only becuase the battery on the mobile was dead.

Do you mean to phone somebody or to have a piss/crap/****?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

Ive never ever used one. And im 27.

What did you do when you needed to call your parents for a lift home when you were 12?

I haven't used one in ages. I did see someone smoking some manner of drugs in one on Abbey Street a while back though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,572 ✭✭✭✭brummytom

In Dublin Aiport, back in August.

Bloody thing was ridiculously confusing to use, and verrrrry expensive!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,072 ✭✭✭PeterIanStaker

Mobile was on the blink had to ring the housemate, soon as I picked up the handset of the payphone, junkie looking like this
    http://cm1.theinsider.com/media/0/14/26/gollum-chav2.0.0.0x0.337x352.jpeg

materialises beside me,

"stooreeee buuuud have yih chaange forra hostel"

• Registered Users Posts: 1,126 ✭✭✭talla10

Never did and im 26!!I used to use the oul callcards they sold years ago!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,494 ✭✭✭citizen_p

never used one :o

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 27,663 Mod ✭✭✭✭Posy

Last time I used one would be about 2000-2001 or thereabouts, before I had a mobile phone. I wouldn't use one now, they cost a bomb and are dirrrty, ugh.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,980 ✭✭✭meglome

Last week for the first time in years. I felt dirty. (more than usual anyway)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,595 ✭✭✭bonerm

When : 06/09/2007

Why : Needed someone to pick me up from the airport.

(last time in Ireland was 28/4/2003)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,160 ✭✭✭Kimono-Girl

i'd say the last time i used one was back in dickity-two. We had to say dickity, because the Kaiser had stolen our word twenty!

Advertisement