Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

satellite dish in the ground

• 28-10-2010 3:35pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,640 ✭✭✭✭

Hello im thinking of moving my motorised satellite dish to the ground. Basically I have it on the side of the garage which is grand but once the wind picks up i have no chance. I lost my signal totally the other day because of the strong winds, so im hoping by moving it to the ground it'll reduce the effects of the wind.

At first I thought the wind just moved the dish out of alignment so I went to find the signal once more but I think the dish has lost the arc altogether.

So im wondering can someone give me advice on mounting a dish in my back-garden?

I was thinking of digging a hole, fill it with cement and then smooth the top of it and get a ground stand like this budgetstand.jpg.
    Of course the ground stand would be need to be thicker to support my 1.2m dish but gives a good idea but my other idea is to use the current pole but cut it off a bit

and thoughts would be appreciated?

(ill include pic of current pole)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,336 ✭✭✭✭Tony

slighly easier option is to get a "non penetrating flat roof mount" , its basicially a frame that you load with ballast like paving slabs or similar. No digging or concrete involved.

Desktop PC Boards discount code on https://www.satellite.ie/ is boards.ie

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,640 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

Thanks for the reply Tony

is this what your talking about?
    non.jpg

I like the idea thou but would they be as reliable as ground stand or a pole in cement?

btw where could I buy one?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,336 ✭✭✭✭Tony

Yep thats what I meant. Try satworld.ie they do a lot of hardware like that

Desktop PC Boards discount code on https://www.satellite.ie/ is boards.ie

sound Tony

I'll have a look into that

• Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭buggane

Headshot wrote: »
    Hello im thinking of moving my motorised satellite dish to the ground. Basically I have it on the side of the garage which is grand but once the wind picks up i have no chance. I lost my signal totally the other day because of the strong winds, so im hoping by moving it to the ground it'll reduce the effects of the wind.

At first I thought the wind just moved the dish out of alignment so I went to find the signal once more but I think the dish has lost the arc altogether.

So im wondering can someone give me advice on mounting a dish in my back-garden?

I was thinking of digging a hole, fill it with cement and then smooth the top of it and get a ground stand like this budgetstand.jpg.

Hi,

I had the same wind problem (live about 250 yards from the cliff edge on west coast of IOM - pretty windy at times)

I actually had the type of mount in the picture you posted but changed it for a tripod similar to the one that satellitesupertore have on the page you got your pic from ie a 3.5in tripod mount but I actually had a welder make it up to broadly the same specification as in the pic. Fixed to a concrete block base with rawlbolts.

I also got a heavy duty one metre dish from satsuperstore and also the motor to go with it - the ribbed dish and h/d motor make a hell of a difference in high wind areas so to date no further problems despite really high winds (not least last night). Even with good stand your dish and lnb mount can go out of sync if its to flexi.

Pic of the motor and the dish type below. By the way supplier was excellent with delivery and advice etc.

comparedisec.jpg

Good luck!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,138 ✭✭✭snaps

I have building blocks stacked and cemented to make a pillar,i have the motor mount on that, My dish is about 1.4m off the ground, hasn't moved in 3 years.The pillar is ideal as it allows the dish to turn with out hitting anthing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,891 ✭✭✭Zardoz

Poor old Headshot,your not having much luck with that motorised dish ,I think you are cursed.

Ya im not having great luck what so ever :(

But once its in the ground I should be sorted

I reckon ill just go for the pole in cement solution since its cheaper, i could probably do it for free

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 276 ✭✭montgolfiere

Headshot wrote: »
    Ya im not having great luck what so ever :(

But once its in the ground I should be sorted

I reckon ill just go for the pole in cement solution since its cheaper, i could probably do it for free

If concreting a simple pole, do drill and insert a 'Cross bolt' in the bottom of the pole, so once concreted in the pole can never twist in the concrete!!!
    the Skyman

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭molly111

we live quite high up a hill and had to get rid of Sky as the dish kept moving...I would really love to get Sky back as Sky+ is so handy.

If we were to put the dish in the ground as already suggested would this work? Seems very simple and I feel a bit of fool for not thinking of it!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,131 ✭✭✭John mac

yes once it has a clear view of the Satellite, (where the sun is at 11:00 am ish )

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 276 ✭✭montgolfiere

could do with protecting from accidental knocks, by Kids, Animals and or of course the odd inbebriated Adult!!!!
    Mabe a fence??
    The Skyman

Advertisement