Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What to do in Dublin with toddler when it's raining

• 28-10-2010 3:38pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 648 ✭✭✭

Hi all. As the title says, I was looking for (free??) things to do or places in or around Dublin to bring our 16 month old when it's miserable outside now that the winter is approaching. I wouldn't like to spend all winter weekends at home because the weather is not nice as we would all go crazy probably. I'd prefer to avoid shopping centres as much as possible (can't stand the noise and the Christmas shopping crowds myself, not sure the little one would either). Can you think of anything or am I kidding myself??

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 984 ✭✭✭NextSteps

Museums - the Dead Zoo, the National Museum, the National Gallery...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,266 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

Natural History Museum, Play Zones (though they're not free)

Swimming would be free for an under 2 in most places but you'll have to pay for yourself. 16 months is a great age to get them used to the water if you've not done so already.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 648 ✭✭✭inigo

Thanks, those are great ideas, particularly the swimming!

• Registered Users Posts: 206 ✭✭annetted

a spin on the bus/luas or train (not at rush hour thou!) is always popular on wet days.. museum in kilmainham is free - they have a nice child friendly place for lunch too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,169 ✭✭✭Grawns

Picked up one of these in TK Maxx today cause even if it's not raining the park and playground in particular is often soaked for days in the winter.
    319DzUNO4tL._SL75_SS45_.jpg41YQryX2OfL._SS400_.jpg

Best news is it was only €17.:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,399 ✭✭✭✭r3nu4l

Do you have a local library? I don't know what it's like in Ireland but in England most libraries have free playgroups for an hour or two each week. My local library has groups for different ages and even has a 'Dad and tot' group the first Saturday of each month.

Failing that just going to the children's section and browsing the books is great.

Grawns wrote: »
    Picked up one of these in TK Maxx today cause even if it's not raining the park and playground in particular is often soaked for days in the winter.
    319DzUNO4tL._SL75_SS45_.jpg41YQryX2OfL._SS400_.jpg

Best news is it was only €17.:)

Road tested it yesterday afternoon in the wind and rain. As it was so warm I stripped the bunny down to vest and socks before popping her in the waterproofs and wellies. She spent an hour in the park, playing in puddles and the playground etc. and came back toasty and dry. ( I didn't :rolleyes:) There is an excellent adjustable hood that kept the wind off her face too. She could easily wear all her clothes under it on a cold day and be snug as a bug. Highly recommended!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,745 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

Grawns wrote: »
    Road tested it yesterday afternoon in the wind and rain. As it was so warm I stripped the bunny down to vest and socks before popping her in the waterproofs and wellies. She spent an hour in the park, playing in puddles and the playground etc. and came back toasty and dry. ( I didn't :rolleyes:) There is an excellent adjustable hood that kept the wind off her face too. She could easily wear all her clothes under it on a cold day and be snug as a bug. Highly recommended!

Another vote for the right clothes for the weather. We got junior oil skins and welly boots and had a great time in the garden kicking ball and inspecting the plants! Can't wait for the snow to come :cool:

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,962 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

We got the regatta sploosh suits from E-bay.
    That and her wellies and she is the happiest bunny for splashing in muddy puddles.

She was ready to star in an episode of deadliest catch :D

Gotta get myself some decent waterproofs to keep up with her this winter

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,962 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

If you find some let me know.
    Possibly the same in an adult version:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 749 ✭✭✭Bill2673

My favourite place would have been the Hugh Lane art gallery. Especially in some of the upstairs rooms.

Big open spaces. The baby can walk or crawl around all over the place. You can keep an eye and at the same time look at some pictures. There are generally few people there mid week and the attendants are good natured. Also, nice cafe downstairs.

As long as you keep well away from stairways, then there are no worries.

To a lesser extent the National Art Gallery (its busier).

After that, libraries.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 305 ✭✭Greystoner

Parent/toddler groups are only E2 or E3 (where I live anyway) and they are a great place for your child,(and you!) to have a change of scene, play with other toys and children, and you get to meet other parents. They may also be able to give you tips on what is good to do locally.

The soft play/ballplay places may have special 'toddler mornings' at a discounted rate, check to see.

Swimming is always good too. Have to pay for the adult, but under 3's are free generally.

Advertisement