Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Father In Law's Continued 70th Birthday Celebrations

• 28-10-2010 3:42pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 697 ✭✭✭

I don't know if it is me or my imagination. The situation goes like this:
    My wifes father turned 70 some weeks back, he has 6 daughters the oldest is 44 and the youngest (my wife) is 35. For the father in laws 70th birthday the "girls" organised a slap up dinner out for him (just the girls, mother and himself) which was all paid for by the daughters. During the dinner he was presented with a voucher for €600 for a new suit from Louis Copeland and also another voucher for a photographic portrait to be done with him and his daughters today. It so far has costed us/me 150 euro and counting.

Two days after the dinner we all had to congregate in one of the other sisters' houses to have a "birthday cake cutting party" for Daddy dearest. Which lasted 4 hours, again at the behest of one of the older daughters.

My wife is due our third baby in two weeks time and I had an argument with her yesterday evening about having to make a long trip to visit a photographer to get a family portrait done with the father in law and the rest of the sisters, when she does not want to make the journey. Given the fact that she is very uncomfortable and very near the due date I thought it a bit much that she had to participate in a family portrait at the behest of the older sisters. Further to this it now transpires that we have to get another family portrait done because the older sisters wants to have a picture of all the families given to daddy dearest as well.

My simple question is:

When the fu3k is his birthday going to come to an end, and what do you guys and girls think of this?

Thanks folks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,112 ✭✭✭flyton5

dclane wrote: »
    My wifes father turned 70 some weeks back, he has 6 daughters the oldest is 44 and the youngest (my wife) is 35. For the father in laws 70th birthday the "girls" organised a slap up dinner out for him (just the girls, mother and himself) which was all paid for by the daughters. During the dinner he was presented with a voucher for €600 for a new suit from Louis Copeland and also another voucher for a photographic portrait to be done with him and his daughters today. It so far has costed us/me 150 euro and counting.

Just keep telling yourself it's a funeral suit. That'll cheer you up...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,326 ✭✭✭Scuid Mhór

presumably after the family portrait I GUESS.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

When the fu3k is his birthday going to come to an end, and what do you guys and girls think of this?

Sounds to me like he's got a great family that cherish and respect him.

Some of them married complainers though.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,466 ✭✭✭Snakeblood

Two days after the dinner we all had to congregate in one of the other sisters' houses to have a "birthday cake cutting party" for Daddy dearest. Which lasted 4 hours, again at the behest of one of the older daughters.

My wife is due our third baby in two weeks time and I had an argument with her yesterday evening about having to make a long trip to visit a photographer to get a family portrait done with the father in law and the rest of the sisters, when she does not want to make the journey. Given the fact that she is very uncomfortable and very near the due date I thought it a bit much that she had to participate in a family portrait at the behest of the older sisters. Further to this it now transpires that we have to get another family portrait done because the older sisters wants to have a picture of all the families given to daddy dearest as well.

My simple question is:

Thanks folks.

I wouldn't mind any of it apart from moving your wife. Everything else sounds ok, asssuming you have a job and can afford this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 697 ✭✭✭gent9662

AnonoBoy wrote: »
    Sounds to me like he's got a great family that cherish and respect him.

Some of them married complainers though.

I got blasted because I bought my father a 60 euro jumper for his 60th!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,151 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

My simple question is:

Thanks folks.

If your wife ever finds out about this post, her and her family will be having another long party after decorating the venue with your entrails.

ejmaztec wrote: »
    If your wife ever finds out about this post, her and her family will be having another long party after decorating the venue with your entrails.

http://www.divorcepartyplanner.com/

here's a helpful link for your wife OP...;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,876 ✭✭✭deelite

My simple question is:

Thanks folks.

I can't believe you did this - I'm at mummys.

The mother is going to 70 next year. It will probably be an all expenses paid trip to harrods and a shopping voucher for 1k

The mother is going to 70 next year. It will probably be an all expenses paid trip to harrods and a shopping voucher for 1000k

A million quid? :eek:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,983 ✭✭✭Degag

Ask the sisters if they'd mind putting the photo off until after the baby's born. Shouldn't make the slightest bit of difference.

flyton5 wrote: »
    A million quid? :eek:

ok maybe not a million!

Degag wrote: »
    Ask the sisters if they'd mind putting the photo off until after the baby's born. Shouldn't make the slightest bit of difference.

Unless he dies...that's what old people do.

Degag wrote: »

Tried that but they don't want to upset the father

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,758 ✭✭✭Laois_Man

They wouldn't have the consideration to wait to do the portrait after the baby is born?

They would think it would be a nicer picture also with one person in it NOT having a huge bump?

They wouldn't think there's an opportunity to have the new baby included in one of the pictures?

Unreasonable alright!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,159 ✭✭✭✭phasers

€600 suit? That is definitely a funeral suit, they're all thinking about their inheritances.

I bought my dad a shirt for a fiver off ebay for his 50th. I stitched an Armani tag onto it. He kept banging on about the quality worksmanship and style, I haven't thet heart to tell him it's not real

I got blasted because I bought my father a 60 euro jumper for his 60th!

You're a lucky guy.

When some people get married their sex life dries up and the husband never gets blasted again.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,466 ✭✭✭Snakeblood

flyton5 wrote: »
    Unless he dies...that's what old people do.

Mostly out of spite. :mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,743 ✭✭✭funk-you

AnonoBoy wrote: »
    You're a lucky guy.

When some people get married their sex life dries up and the husband never gets blasted again.

I thought thats what happens to the wife...

-Funk

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,738 ✭✭✭Naos

The dudes 70, he's raised 6 children and one would assume he's retired.

You had to go to a dinner party, then spend another 4 hours with him for a more intimate cake party and then have to get a family portrait done...

Poor you having to spend about what, 14 hours with the man who fed, clothed and raised the woman you married.

• Advertisement

funk-you wrote: »
    I thought thats what happens to the wife...

-Funk

When I was married we took it in turns to be 'the wife'. ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,708 ✭✭✭curlzy

Hey OP,

I've noticed that parents that want/expect the stuff you're talking about are usually the coldest "parents" in the world, like real cold fish, selfish, miserly and stingy feckers on the planet (to their kids), so just wondering does that describe him???? If not, stop moaning you whingey fecker :P

• Registered Users Posts: 1,903 ✭✭✭Napper Hawkins

I reckon all of this stuff matters far, FAR more to the daughters than it ever could to the dad.

This was the exact sort of carry on that happened between my Ma and her 5 siblings (4 of them women) for my Grandads 80th. Total, shameless oneupmanship throughout and his birthday easily lasted about 2 weeks so everyone could have their own personalised celebration of his life. The man himself would have been happy with just a few pints with dinner and nothing more.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,236 ✭✭✭bullpost

What you need to do now is turn it around.
    Tell your wife you really admire what they are doing for their Dad and of course he deserves it.
    Then tell her when your parents get to 70 your are going to spare no expense and throw them the biggest party ever and shower them with expensive gifts. Then tell her she is brilliant for inspiring you to do this:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,540 ✭✭✭Giselle

OP, when you're 70, wouldn't it be nice if your children were as kind and caring to you as your wife and her sisters are to their father?

He must have done something very right to deserve all this nice treatment.:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,452 ✭✭✭SomeFool

Giselle wrote: »
    He must have done something very right to deserve all this nice treatment.:)

Delayed making out his will?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,312 ✭✭✭AskMyChocolate

Jesus Christ OP. Do you know nothing? This is one of those situations where you keep your head down, say nothing, and just row in with whatever your wife wants. Just keep your mouth shut and offer to do the driving. Even I know this and I'm single. Never ever ever get involved in a partner's relationship with her parents/siblings unless you're dragged in by the hair. It's a complete lose/lose situation.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,209 ✭✭✭jos28

Just let them get on with the celebrations. He obviously meant a lot to them. I only wish I could have done the same for my Dad but he did not make it to 80. All he got was a bunch of flowers for his grave:( Let them indulge him, he won't always be around.

jos28 wrote: »
    Just let them get on with the celebrations. He obviously meant a lot to them. I only wish I could have done the same for my Dad but he did not make it to 80. All he got was a bunch of flowers for his grave:( Let them indulge him, he won't always be around.

Yeah I guess that's the right thing to do. I just feel bitter because I got criticized for spending 60 quid on a jumper for my own fathers birthday last year and he turned 60. It was deemed to be too much money to spend.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,778 ✭✭✭Pauleta

I bet the oldest sister is either single and passed her sell by date or in a ****e relationship. It sounds like she goes OTT for daddy because she has no other man to buy a birthday present for.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,001 ✭✭✭recylingbin

It's like a modern take on King Lear.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,575 ✭✭✭✭FlutterinBantam

My simple question is:

Thanks folks.

That's what you get for marrying a DUB,fcukers love that sort of thing.

Barrel arsed aul fella out with the extended family and all that.

Sorry for your trouble son.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,104 ✭✭✭easyeason3

From experience I'd say you should keep your mouth shut, smile & agree with whatever your wife wants to do.
    There's two very important things you have to keep in mind here if you want to hang onto your ballsack:

1) She's a woman so can change her mind whenever she likes. This also means she has a memory like an elephant so any negative remarks will be stored away to be used the next time she drinks wine & goes crazy.

2) She's heavily pregnant. You don't want the wrath of a heavily pregnant woman to fall on you. Not only does she have the memory of an elephant but she has probably started to look, feel & move like one too. Remember that compliments, chocolate & foot rubs are not only her friend but yours also.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,209 ✭✭✭jos28

Yeah I guess that's the right thing to do. I just feel bitter because I got criticized for spending 60 quid on a jumper for my own fathers birthday last year and he turned 60. It was deemed to be too much money to spend.

Damn the begrudgers I say, you put a bit of thought (and cash) into your Dads
    60th. Fair play to ya !

Advertisement