Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is this acceptable? Laptop repair.

Options
  • 28-10-2010 4:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 251 ✭✭

I have a laptop still under warranty, I have sent it back to repair the same problem twice. (gone for over a week each time). Now after a couple of hours on the phone and in depth software checks (by me), they now know what the problem is and want to take it back in for repair again.

Is this acceptable?

Also they now reckon the problem is related to heat, which I pointed out to them each time I dropped it back.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,401 ✭✭✭Royal Irish

If I was in your situation I'd ask for something in return for the inconvenience of having to leave it back the third time. Ask for money off a next purchase maybe, or a voucher. But make it clear if its not repaired the third time, have it replaced or get a refund which you have a right too.

• Registered Users Posts: 251 ✭✭GopErthike

Thanks for your prompt reply.

At what point am I entitled to a replacement?

I've bought other (cheaper) products from this company and had problems but they replaced them straight away.

The difference now is, it's a 2 1/2yr old laptop with a 3yr warranty. So it's a lot more expensive to replace.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

Is that a regular warranty, or one you paid for? The ones you pay for a really an insurance policy, and not a warranty.

Yeah, I paid for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,401 ✭✭✭Royal Irish

Since you paid for this policy, weither its an insurance policy or extended warranty, you should have some sort of forms to explain what you are entitled too.

If it is an actual fault with the hardware of the laptop and its still covered under warranty or insurance policy then you should still be entitled to a product repair, replacement or a refund. Since this is your third time having to get it repaired for the same fault, then you are entitled to a refund or a replacement.

Is the 3 year insurance policy or warranty with the retailer or the manufacturer?

• Advertisement

It's applecare, with Apple. So effectively manufacturer and retailer.
    I have literature somewhere, just can't find it, I'll look online.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

GopErthike wrote: »
    It's applecare, with Apple. So effectively manufacturer and retailer.
    I have literature somewhere, just can't find it, I'll look online.
    regardless of the warrenty it sounds like the laptop is not fit for purpose and not reasonably durable having been repaired twce already.

you should deal with the seller/store and them only as apple have no obligations towards you regarding your statutory rights so they could offer to replace until the warrenty runs out then start charging huge amounts for repairs that should really be permenant.

you should be entitled to repair replacement or refund from the shop only as apple do not have to offer you anything outside of the warrenty you bought

Advertisement