Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

3mb versus 8mb NGB broadband

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,217 ✭✭✭moonshadow

Thanks Maninaskirt,so far with the router only plugged in,

DownstreamUpstreamMax Allowed Speed (kbps)3072384SN Margin (dB)8.0013.00Line Attenuation (dB)43.0026.00CRC Errors02

1010247718.png

Now to start plugging in the only other things my two phones.......

Maninaskirt you are a genius :D for years ive been suffering with this and after many many calls,pleading and complaints to Eircom you have me sorted!!!
    Thanks a million!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 246 ✭✭maninaskirt

moonshadow wrote: »
    Maninaskirt you are a genius :D for years ive been suffering with this and after many many calls,pleading and complaints to Eircom you have me sorted!!!
    Thanks a million!

Thats what boards is all about, glad your sorted!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,142 ✭✭✭pm.

DECEiFER wrote: »
    Sorry, that's not what I was asking for. Inside your router you'll see Noise/SNR Margin and Line Attenuation, expressed as dB, for the downlink and uplink. That's what we'd need.

If you're using the Eircom router, get into it by going to: http://192.168.1.254

Sorry for a stupid question but where would i find the password :o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 455 ✭✭The Little Fella

Downstream Upstream Max Allowed Speed (kbps) 2048 256
    SN Margin (dB) 10.70 22.00
    Line Attenuation (dB) 51.00 29.50
    CRC Errors 0 0
    I am currently paying for 3mb broadband and am getting a download speed of 1.75mb per second and an upload speed of .21 mb. should i be getting closer to the 3 mbs i am paying for?

1011306822.png

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

You are not really paying for 3Mbps.

You are paying for a Broadband connection to Internet which will go at "best effort speed"
    see http://www.techtir.ie/comms/dsl-limits

It's actually better than even 21Mbps 3G/HSPA so called "Mobile Broadband".
    see http://www.techtir.ie/comms/mobile-vs-fixed

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,458 ✭✭✭chops018

Downstream Upstream Max Allowed Speed (kbps) 2048 256
    SN Margin (dB) 10.70 22.00
    Line Attenuation (dB) 51.00 29.50
    CRC Errors 0 0
    I am currently paying for 3mb broadband and am getting a download speed of 1.75mb per second and an upload speed of .21 mb. should i be getting closer to the 3 mbs i am paying for?

1011306822.png

you are paying for 3mb but it is a bit of a joke because as i see it the max speed you can hit it 2mb, as above your speeds are 2048/256 (which means the max download speed you have is 2mb) so that means your hitting close to the 2mb allowed. as you might have seen on this ive 3mb and it says on mine "3072/384 (kbps)" that means the max speed i can get is 3mb, i usually hit between 2.5 and 2.8 mb all the time. ive upgraded to the 8mb NGB though as it was no extra cost, just waiting for it to come through!
    id ring them if i were u and ask what the 2048 is about if you are on 3mb.. maybe your line cannot handle it, i wouldnt be an expert on the stats you posted but it looks like it should, id ring them anyway and ask, no harm in it!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,212 ✭✭✭DECEiFER

Downstream Upstream
    Max Allowed Speed (kbps) 480 384
    SN Margin (dB) 13.50 14.00
    Line Attenuation (dB) 39.50 26.00
    CRC Errors 0 31

1010174064.png

Im so jealous of you guys this is what i have to put up with,im based just outside Drogheda and paying for 3 mg with eircom,so share the knowlege is there anything i can do?
    Your SN Margin at that sync is pretty low, I don't see any way to give you much more sync based on that. How far away from the exchange would you think you are? Also, have you wired your microfilter-splitter properly into the phone socket; Router/Modem in the DSL socket and Phone in the phone socket of the microfilter?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,210 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Your SN Margin at that sync is pretty low, I don't see any way to give you much more sync based on that. How far away from the exchange would you think you are? Also, have you wired your microfilter-splitter properly into the phone socket; Router/Modem in the DSL socket and Phone in the phone socket of the microfilter?
    Disconnect everything from the phone line except the router and if using a long extension move it as close to the phone socket as you can and see if there is any improvement ( unlikely but worth a shot)

chops018 wrote: »
    you are paying for 3mb but it is a bit of a joke because as i see it the max speed you can hit it 2mb, as above your speeds are 2048/256 (which means the max download speed you have is 2mb) so that means your hitting close to the 2mb allowed. as you might have seen on this ive 3mb and it says on mine "3072/384 (kbps)" that means the max speed i can get is 3mb, i usually hit between 2.5 and 2.8 mb all the time. ive upgraded to the 8mb NGB though as it was no extra cost, just waiting for it to come through!
    id ring them if i were u and ask what the 2048 is about if you are on 3mb.. maybe your line cannot handle it, i wouldnt be an expert on the stats you posted but it looks like it should, id ring them anyway and ask, no harm in it!

Thanks for the help,
    Rang Eircom and they improved my speed.
    1013097846.png

• Advertisement

The little fella,any chance you could explain what Eircom did to help you gain the extra speed please.

The little fella,any chance you could explain what Eircom did to help you gain the extra speed please.

I emailed an Eircom representative on the Eircom connect website asking them if 1.75mb was the maximum I could achieve.

They replied and said they would try and increase my speed up to around 2.5mb as I could not get 3mb due to my distance from the exchange and my speed is now 2.6mb.

Hope this helps.

Thanks for the help,
    Rang Eircom and they improved my speed.
    1013097846.png

Glad to see you got your speed improved.

No bother. Best of luck with it!

1016779151.png

my new speeds with the NGB free upgrade, very happy.. only thing is i'm still on the 30gb usage allowance, ill see how it goes for a while but with Xbox live and using it for college, i think i could be asking for the unlimited for the extra 10 euro a month. I'll see how it goes for a while first though.

Thank`s little fella,have to say this thread and the posters have been very helpfull so far,many thanks all.

Advertisement