Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Newb. Tell me what I have bought and how to care for it.

Options
  • 28-10-2010 4:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭

Please :)

I ordered two fire bellied newts from a pet shop and picked them up today. The thing is, Im not really sure if theyre fire bellied newts.. maybe I was expecting small black Chinese ones and these are Japanese?

I also bought some food, its 'Supa Turtle Food'. I asked for reptile feed and thats what was given to me, it consists of three types of shrimp.. is it suitable?

Cheers

edit: follow the link to see my lil guy and hopefully tell me what I have, thanks :)

edit edit: Im thinking its a warty newt.

Comments

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 919 ✭✭✭Shanao

Kept a few fire bellies in my time; doesn't look like one to me. I think you're right on the warty newts; that's what I think it is too. You'd be far better off feeding them bloodworms or brine shrimp though, they're not reptiles so reptile food isn't right for them. Especially not turtle food. WOuld handle them as little as possible as well; their skin is extremely sensitive.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭TangyZizzle

Theyre definitely warty newts :)

About the feed, its River shrimp, white shrimp, shrimp flakes and tubifex. Its all dry.

Would there be a big difference between brine shrimp and all of the above?

The tubifex should be fine. Is it dried shrimp though? Newts aren't particularly good at chewing their food, so if its too dry they wont be able to break it up properly. You'd be better off with the frozen stuff that turns to jelly when it thaws, or the actual jelly foods. They can swallow that lot whole.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭TangyZizzle

Its all in the one small container and its all freeze dried :/ I broke up a shrimp into lil bits when I first put them in, but thats still laying at the bottom of the tank.
    I want to feed them this stuff for a few days before I trek back into town to pick up more suitable food. But, lets say they dont take to it, how many days can they go without food before problems arise?

edit: not that I want to push them to the limit, but just give me a time frame to work with?

Three days at the most really, depends on if they were fed before you got them. I'd get them the proper food as soon as possible though; better to keep them happy and healthy after all.

• Advertisement
Advertisement