Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

RSS to HTML

Options
  • 28-10-2010 4:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,304 ✭✭✭

Hi guys!
    I have an RSS feed which I want to include as a module on a website. I have looked at all the normal premade feedreaders but I have decided I want to build one myself. I have all my CSS and JQuery in place to produce a scrolling feed reader. The only problem is the at the moment the feed reader is only displaying static HTML, generic news stories I used for the purpose of building the reader. I need a script in either php or Javscript that can take the url of the RSS feed I want to include and output stings of text which I can then put into the feed reader through the DOM. Something like this , except something actaully works!! Any advice or help would be greatly appriciated!
    Thanks in advance

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,163 ✭✭✭✭Liam Byrne

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 8,954 Mod ✭✭✭✭mewso

If you want to use jQuery then you could use a plugin or follow a tutorial or even do what I did.

A Javascript-only / jQuery-only solution will only work if the RSS feed is on the same server / domain.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 8,954 Mod ✭✭✭✭mewso

Liam Byrne wrote: »
    A Javascript-only / jQuery-only solution will only work if the RSS feed is on the same server / domain.

Well like everything there are ways around it using your chosen server side language. A basic proxy/mirror of the feed.

mewso wrote: »
    Well like everything there are ways around it using your chosen server side language. A basic proxy/mirror of the feed.

Absolutely, but I was just pointing out that that does indeed require a server-side language, therefore is not an option in Javascript/jQuery only.

• Advertisement

Absolutely, but I was just pointing out that that does indeed require a server-side language, therefore is not an option in Javascript/jQuery only.

Forgive my pedantry but you said the feed had to be on your domain. I was being picky as it does not :)

mewso wrote: »
    Forgive my pedantry but you said the feed had to be on your domain. I was being picky as it does not :)

By all means be pedantic, but take the whole post into account :

That statement - in full - is 100% true. The "-only" suffixes preclude the use of server-side technology.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,257 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

Can you not configure JQuery to use JSON to get around the cross domain issue?

Advertisement