Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Galway Christmas markets- photowalk?

• 28-10-2010 4:37pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,154 ✭✭✭

Hi,
    Anyone willing to organise a photowalk for the upcoming Galway Christmas market? (not me).
    The market will be comprised of 70 chalets around Eyre Square from November 19 until December 19.

It could be a nice and different than the usual walk. Maybe start when there's some light and go on until it's a bit dark.
    It could be a good chance for a meet up for drinks afterwards.

Cheers,
    Pa.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,161 ✭✭✭leche solara

Why not you? Coming up with the idea is half the battle.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,154 ✭✭✭dinneenp

Why not you? Coming up with the idea is half the battle.
    thanks but no thanks.
    I'll hand the other half of the battle over to someone else. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,228 ✭✭✭honerbright

Whats is there to organise? Poll interest here on boards, then discuss a time/place thats suits all and voila!

...Or is it more than that? I'm always working whenever there's a photowalk so I've never been, so for all I know it's mad complicated!

Would love to take part in this one though :D

Whats is there to organise? Poll interest here on boards, then discuss a time/place thats suits all and voila!

...Or is it more than that? I'm always working whenever there's a photowalk so I've never been, so for all I know it's mad complicated!

Would love to take part in this one though :D
    I guess:
    organize date, time, meeting place
    decide route if further than just market
    give contact no for those who are late, get lost etc
    hosted.lsgmodels.com.ie
    pick place for drinks after
    update boards with details & respond to peoples questions
    maybe contact local pub, ask for free drink for group, ask them if they'll have a competition with prize for best picture of their venue?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,155 ✭✭✭PopeBuckfastXVI

I'll be up for it, if I'm about...

• Advertisement

How about Friday 26th Nov?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,079 ✭✭✭xia

Nice idea! And that one sounds nicer than the one here in IFSC Dublin.

Wouldn't mind travelling for that, but then a Friday might not the best option for those from outside Galway?

Well done on organising this @dinneenp :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,348 ✭✭✭vulcan57

Could be good fun.:)

Will be working on Fridays - any chance of a sat or sun?

I suppose a Saturday would probably suit most people better.
    The only Saturday that I can do is Saturday, 4th of Decmeber.
    I'll leave it up to people to pick a date and take it from there.

• Advertisement

Hope this photowalk is still going ahead on 4th December??

As I have it fixed in my head and now even have two boards photobooks here for delivery to PopeBuckfastXVI and Cosmo K.

What time would we meet?

I'm not 100% sure will I be around on that date (more than likely will be) but let's go ahead with it anyway. Can anyone else volunteer to be 'back up' in case I don't make it. I suppose as a contact for anyone who might be late/get lost etc. They can call you etc if needed?

There's some pictures of the market here.
    Things to be organised:
    1. Who is interested in going?
    2. What time to meet? Do people want a daytime or eveningtime market? It's more impressive when it's dark I guess. Hard call.
    3. Where? By the fountain in Eyre Square seems easy I think.
    4. What route? Besides the market go anywhere or just stick to the market?
    5. Do we want to open the walk up to everyone- get featured on Photowalk.ie/
    6. Anything else?

Cheers,
    Pa.

As mentioned I'm still interested ;)

As for the other questions.
    I never organised a photowalk myself and am not from Galway but have no problem to be backup if needed and nobody else voluteers.
    How about meeting at 2pm or so - that why we have both daylight and darnkess?
    Is the fountain a busy meeting point? Then it might be difficult to recognise eachother (well, the again tripods are always good to spot).
    I'd say mainly market but we we took all the pictures we wanted and are still looking for more then no problem to look around town.
    Was wondering about photowalk.ie too. I think some people more so look there than here. If we agree to open the walk: Do you want to contact them? Otherwise I could do it once we agree on time and meeting point.

xia wrote: »
    As mentioned I'm still interested ;)

As for the other questions.
    I never organised a photowalk myself and am not from Galway but have no problem to be backup if needed and nobody else voluteers.
    How about meeting at 2pm or so - that why we have both daylight and darnkess?
    Is the fountain a busy meeting point? Then it might be difficult to recognise eachother (well, the again tripods are always good to spot).
    I'd say mainly market but we we took all the pictures we wanted and are still looking for more then no problem to look around town.
    Was wondering about photowalk.ie too. I think some people more so look there than here. If we agree to open the walk: Do you want to contact them? Otherwise I could do it once we agree on time and meeting point.
    Hi,
    I've never organised one either so thanks for being backup, now promoted to co-organiser :-)
    1.Why don't we both take a look today and see when it starts to get dark and then pick a starting time?
    2. For the last photowalk I was on in Galway we met at the fountain. Easy to spot others with their cameras etc.
    3. Market in daylight and when it's getting dark/lights on might be enough. We can always have a break in between and a drink/bite. Maybe in the beer tent or maybe the warmth of The Skef pub (massive so seating shouldn't be a problem?)
    4. I'm happy to open it up, why not? I'm happy for you to contact them.

So we'll see what time it starts to get dark and update here tomorrow?
    Cheers,
    Pa.

Of course you took up that offer :) Ah well, why not co-organiser...

I missed sunset today, but as per this it should be at 4:20 pm on the 4th. So I suppose meeting at half one or two should be ok, otherwise we might be frozen by the time it gets dark. I don't know the Skef Pub so that part I would leave to the local organiser ;)
    So meeting at the fountain sound good then and I just sent a DM to photowalk.ie if we can promote it there. I'll update as soon as I have an answer.

• Registered Users Posts: 985 ✭✭✭Cosmo K

Count me in guys!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,041 ✭✭✭K_user

Crap!

I would have loved to come along, (and helped with the organization) but I have an orienteering thing that weekend - can't see my wife being too happy if I disappeared all day Sat and Sun! :o

And now it's officially up on photowalk.ie and my B&B booked :)

K_user wrote: »
    Crap!

I would have loved to come along, (and helped with the organization) but I have an orienteering thing that weekend - can't see my wife being too happy if I disappeared all day Sat and Sun! :o

Bring her with you? She might enjoy the shopping...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,041 ✭✭✭K_user

xia wrote: »
    Bring her with you? She might enjoy the shopping...
    If only it were that easy! :D

1) Cameras and her don't mix
    2) Groups of people with cameras and her don't mix!

And most importantly:

3) She's recovering from an operation and doesn't have the energy for much at the moment.

I'm disappointed, but again sometime soon..

• Advertisement

Ok, especially the third point is not to argue about. Hope she get's well soon.
    And I'm sure there will be another walk in Galway.

It's on photowalk.ie now!

Actually already a bit longer ;)
    I said half one meeting, hope that's ok?

Looking outside I hope the snow melts til then. Otherwise I would come by train and should still make it til then, even if I first go to my B&B.

Hi All,

Some bad news from me, I have to attend a family thing on Saturday night, which will keep me busy for most of the afternoon with family arriving in Galway, if Petra could give my copy of the book to someone local who wouldn't mind holding it for me I'd really appreciate it!

So I hope people are still up for the walk?

I am and will bring the books and hopefully someone will take it for PopeBuckfastXVI now that he can't make it. Otherwise I'll send it by post...

I'm planning on going but might have to bring one of my children with me...
    My wife has her Christmas party on Friday night so I mightn't be in for 1:30.
    So if someone could PM me their mobile and I'll phone when I'm in.

Petra,

I may be in town at some stage during the day, would you mind PMing me your phone number so I can catch you for the book?

Thanks a mil!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 alanpberry

Hi folks,

I'm interested in meeting up with some other photographers to take a tour through the markets. Never feel 'right' strolling around on lonesome snapping ppl. Will be in town lunchtime/early afternoon.
    If I spot likely suspects I'll call over if not can someone drop me a pm with some contact details?

Thanks.
    Alan

p.s justed dropped by to post details of photocomp closing soon on challenges/comp thread.
    Look forward to meeting fellow snappers soon.

Sorry, I couldn't make it in. Weather, traffic and all that.
    How did it go, any pictures up anywhere yet?

• Advertisement

Massive thanks to Xia and picaaf for bringing my boards book, and treats, respectively!

Sorry I couldn't stay longer, looking forward to the pics!

dinneenp wrote: »
    Sorry, I couldn't make it in. Weather, traffic and all that.
    How did it go, any pictures up anywhere yet?

We were wondering if the main organiser would show up at some stage;)

The five of us had a lovely day. Don't have the time to decide on pictures to show directly here, but they are here

Advertisement