Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

So what's on your Christmas list?

• 28-10-2010 4:47pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,154 ✭✭✭

Hi,
    So what's on your Christmas list? (idea taken from golf forum)

Maybe a flash for me and/or Sigam 18-50mm f2.8 macro lens.

Cheers,
    Pa.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 squaresies

Oh yay! Shopping! I'm a staunch believer in frivolity and I really want a lens baby! Also, I'd like to see a couple of books in my stocking, possibly something Elliott Erwitt :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,664 ✭✭✭Tin Foil Hat

D7000 :cool:

Realistically - socks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 679 ✭✭✭Kbeg3

Nikon 24-70 f/2.8 or 70-200f/2.8. If only I could afford both:(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,236 ✭✭✭bullpost

Will be a poor year but would be happy with a 10 stop ND filter.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,220 ✭✭✭Slidinginfinity

D7000 :cool:

Realistically - socks

Drop a zero off that and you have mine.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,131 ✭✭✭oshead

I've been thinking about the EF 50mm 1.2. I'm like, so close to getting it, it's unreal. :) I might sleep on it for a while though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,057 ✭✭✭kjt

I'm going to ask Santa for the winning Euromillions numbers to fund my lifelong dream of photography, it might get me by the next 4/5 years....

Would like to get my hands on a decent high end DSLR (preferably Canon) that can handle noise well. Haven't done much in the way of researching what camera though.

Would also like to get a softbox and stand, small light-tent to play with, and a flash gun for my future Canon camera (above).

That's just in general though. Chances of me owning any of the above (bar the possiblity of the cheapo light tent) by December 25th are so very slim, it's not even worth considering.

My dad works in a chemist, so I'll get the usual bucket load of aftershaves and deodorants and potentially photo frames (though I'd be pleased with the photo frames!).

Anyone want to swap 40 cans of Lynx for a Canon 7D/5D, perhaps?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,389 ✭✭✭✭phog

A camera bag, I think

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,263 ✭✭✭✭Borderfox

oshead wrote: »
    I've been thinking about the EF 50mm 1.2. I'm like, so close to getting it, it's unreal. :) I might sleep on it for a while though.

Watch out for issues with focus shift, some copies are worse than others.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,131 ✭✭✭oshead

Borderfox wrote: »
    Watch out for issues with focus shift, some copies are worse than others.

That and a few other things are whats delaying the purchase. Seems focus shift was a big issue with lenses from a few years back when it first came out. lenses with code uwxxxx. Recent reports i've read, mostly fredmiranda's the issue has been sorted with later versions of the lens.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,381 ✭✭✭✭Paulw

I've only one thing that I'll be getting this Christmas. Canon 400mm f/2.8 IS L II. :eek: I'll be ordering once it's in the stores.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,584 ✭✭✭PCPhoto

will be waiting till the new year and maybe get the 8-15mm Canon Fisheye

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭Buckz

End to famineWorld Peace.Global prosperityWinning lottery ticketBetter Job5DmkIIa lie in?A few magazines and chocolate to help me browse them?A bright dry afternoon in the park with the kids on form to play and have their picture taken. Through in some of the chocolate already mentioned and a coffee and I'm a happy man. As for the 40 cans of Lynx- I'm on a bus and the (great) unwashed Need the Lynx.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

A job.

If someone else wants to buy me a Canon 135mm F2.0L lens I would more than happily accept one ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,570 ✭✭✭sNarah

Mmmh. Ideally the Olumpus Pen.

Realistically:
    Camera changing darkroom bag thingie
    Chems

loads and loads of film

a new camera that shoots medium format, anyone will do.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,699 ✭✭✭ThOnda

sNarah - my Hassy is available, just book it in advance ;)

Well, I've bought myself a girl for few hours. Wait a minute, that sounds a little weird. To explain, she is professional model, understands what pictures I want to create and because she likes my work, she gave me nice discount.

And if everything goes well, I hope to get a waist-level viewfinder for the Hassy. And loads of film :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 271 ✭✭Nebezpeci Mys

Hmmmm, I got the big thing already - Canon EF100mm f/2.8 Macro IS USM, so no hope for big pressies for x-mas. But a nice sturdy, yet light, tripod, would be a great surprise...in exchange I'll knit them warm socks... :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,257 ✭✭✭Pete67

Canon 70 - 200 2.8 II, exactly two chances of that though :-(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 213 ✭✭Scamp-

Pony.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,014 ✭✭✭Eirebear

A new bag possibly, although im planning on forcing myself to learn/improve/experiment with film and darkroom stuff next year so possibly something along those lines.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,181 ✭✭✭✭Jim

My dad got me a 50mm 1.4 last year for Christmas and my birthday. Last piece of gear I got.

No idea what I want this year, but whatever it is I doubt he'll be able to afford it. Or anyone else for that matter.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,581 Mod ✭✭✭✭humberklog

crayons

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,725 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

In my perfect world : 50mm 1.4 and an sb900

In reality : A tripod and if I spend hours begging the folks, an sb400 :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,972 ✭✭✭joepenguin

A 2.8 lens of some description(18-50, 24-70 etc). Used sigma been the way forward as canons way out of price range. I reckon id get great use out of a 30mm 1.4 as well.

As much as i dont like the feel of it the 60d has dropped in price quite a lot and i reckon it'll be had for 600 sterling soon:
    http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/NEW-CANON-EOS-60D-18-0MP-SLR-DIGITAL-CAMERA-BODY-ONLY-/140471234281?pt=UK_CamerasPhoto_DigitalCameras_DigitalCameras_JN&hash=item20b4bceee9
    Main gripe is they changed the body from mag alloy and the buttons felt better on previous xxd models. Loving the screen though and could use the video.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 9,047 CMod ✭✭✭✭CabanSail

This is a hard question.

Being a Boards Moderator I have all my material and physical needs met.

Maybe a dedicated Coke room in the new East Wing where all the Hookers hang out. :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,269 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

joepenguin wrote: »
    A 2.8 lens of some description(18-50, 24-70 etc). Used sigma been the way forward as canons way out of price range.
    Don't ignore the Tamron 17-50 2.8 (non VR) in your search... very happy with mine and seems to be a lot of other very happy users here too...

Photography wise for me I think it's going to be a circular polariser for the Tamron. 67mm is an awkward size!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,154 ✭✭✭dinneenp

Sleepy wrote: »
    Don't ignore the Tamron 17-50 2.8 (non VR) in your search... very happy with mine and seems to be a lot of other very happy users here too...

I'm not forgetting that lens. I'm looking at all around that length that have f2.8.
    The Sigma is also a 'macro' lens, have to check the others out and see which has the best 'macro'.
    I know that they use the term quiet loosley.
    Anyone able to post some shots of how 'macro'y the lens are? I'll check in Flickr as well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,269 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

I work off the rule of thumb that unless it's a dedicated macro prime lens it's not a macro lens. ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,860 ✭✭✭TinyExplosions

dinneenp wrote: »
    I'm not forgetting that lens. I'm looking at all around that length that have f2.8.
    The Sigma is also a 'macro' lens, have to check the others out and see which has the best 'macro'.
    I know that they use the term quiet loosley.
    Anyone able to post some shots of how 'macro'y the lens are? I'll check in Flickr as well.

I have an 18-50 2.8 waiting in the sorting office to be collected, so should have some shots over the next few days -will test it's Macro-yness for you :)

• Registered Users Posts: 938 ✭✭✭Rainbowsend

Money....lots and lots of money! To put towards a once in a lifetime photography trip. (or twice in a lifetime if I get LOADS :D)

It turns out the wife is sending me on a Peter Cox Weekend Workshop. Sweet! Beats socks hands down!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,834 ✭✭✭Captain Flaps

The problem with having a job is that when i think of something I might like for chrimbo, I think about how great it will be to get it and how much fun I'll have playing with it on Christmas day.

Then I order it off the internet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,756 ✭✭✭Thecageyone

Our kid to walk a couple of steps interdependently And my own back to stop aching would be sweet.

Gear-wise, I'd love a D7000, but not gonna happen this year. I've got the Tamron 17-50 2.8 already, now all i need is a VR zoom, I don't care which make or model, anything half decent, I'll do the rest ;)

now all i need is a VR zoom, I don't care which make or model, anything half decent, I'll do the rest ;)

The Nikon 55-200 VR is pretty good for the money. I took this with it. I'm a crappy photographer, so bear that in mind when judging the photo.

63F342ABCF2644C69B02EBCF7B36734A-0000336590-0002003035-00640L-7777F87334BC4817A09C9E338DF69814.jpg

It's about €150-€160 on simplyelectronics.net. The VR is great. I can take a reasonably steady image at 1/5s at 200mm, handheld.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,756 ✭✭✭Thecageyone

Nice circular bokeh for a zoom, looks good. I have been pondering that very lens as it's dirt cheap over here [currently in the states] but also the newer 55-300mm vr, same lens basically but with the extra 100mm for only $120 more, about 80 euro or thereabouts. Unless it's worse IQ-wise that seems like the better deal. Course I'd love the 70-300mm vr, which I've read is far superior, but then, so is the price tag.

Course I'd love the 70-300mm vr, which I've read is far superior, but then, so is the price tag.

Go for it, unless you have a wife who'll break it off your head.:)
    She'll probably spend it on shoes anyway.

Seriously though, the 55-200 is pin sharp, down to the nostril hairs. I won't speak for the 70-300, a lens I've never used.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,270 ✭✭✭twowheelsonly

I'd fancy a Nikon 80-200mm 2.8 to replace the one that some thieving %$&^£$ robbed from my van in June after only 5 weeks ownership.
    Also need to a replacement tripod as the one I'm using is crap and had a Manfrotto & head stolen at the same time as that lens.

Looking for a 24-70mm 2.8 as well but really entering wish list stuff there!!

Have to keep dreaming for the moment, but have to keep positive - "It Could Be Me...." :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,281 ✭✭✭Ricky91t

I really badly want a 550D or another HD video canon camera, but that's too much! Maybe a sensor clean and repair my sigma lens!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,728 ✭✭✭dazftw

Iv'e been saving quite awhile so i'm hoping with any money I get from the family and the nice Christmas bonus from work I can afford an Leica M6.. without a lens :p The lens will probably take another 6 months.

Network with your people: https://www.builtinireland.ie/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 421 ✭✭SetOverSet

Nikon 24-70mm f/2.8 or 105mm f/2.8 micro.
    I'll happily take either (or both :D)

• Registered Users Posts: 272 ✭✭Brndn

Pentacon 6 TL if I can find a nice one & a Canon 85mm F1.2 :).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,728 ✭✭✭dazftw

Brndn wrote: »

The Pentacon 6 is a lovely camera. A friend of mine got one.

Network with your people: https://www.builtinireland.ie/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 819 ✭✭✭mikka631

A Canon 300mm f2.8 L IS but I would settle for the f4 if Santa is a bit short of the readies:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 65 ✭✭.Conor.

Canon PIXMA MP560 Printer
    Canon 50mm f/1.4

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,302 ✭✭✭Heebie

I have some lenses for Pentacon-6.. I use them with adapters to do shift and tilt stuff on my Pentax K20D.

I've got a friend in the U.S. who's used a lot of Pentacon 6 cameras. He used to live in Prague.. and you should be able to get one through Fotoskoda (www.fotoskoda.cz) I would think.

It's probably getting harder and harder to find working ones.
    Brndn wrote: »

• Registered Users Posts: 272 ✭✭Brndn

Thanks Heebie! Can you recommend a lens?

I got the Tamron 17-50mm f2.8 lens (sitting in the cupboard, I'm like a child wanting to sneak it out and play with it before Xmas).
    So next on my Xmas list is a flash....and maybe a photography book.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 355 ✭✭greeneyedspirit

Not 'on' the wish list as such, considering it's a joint b-day + christmas pressie, but my Nikon 10-24mm lens is SO much fun! Also, of course, means no chrismas pressie on the day, but I'm not complaining :D
    In an ideal world, a 17-55mm f2.8 would be most appreciated, but I think I'll have to buy that one myself :o

the flash is ordered so Christmas is looking good so far.
    (never thought that when i bought my first dslr that most presents for the foreseeable future would be camera related).

• Advertisement
Advertisement