Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

So what's on your Christmas list?

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,381 ✭✭✭✭Paulw

My Christmas list is ruined. Canon have delayed the release of the new 400mm f/2.8 lens. :(

So, might just have to buy a 1D MkIV, and then wait until March for the 400mm. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,589 ✭✭✭✭Necronomicon

A macro lens. Been using my sister's Canon 50mm macro up to now, looking to upgrade to something that offers 1:1.

I have my eye on the Tamron 90mm and the Sigma 105mm. Those are my most realistic options, the Canon 100mm f2.8 is probably just outside my budget.

If anyone has used any of the above, opinions are most welcome!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,027 ✭✭✭jpb1974

Question -

Do grown adults actually buy themselves a present for Christmas, hide it away and then get up at 6am on Christmas morning and act all surprised when they open it up?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 708 ✭✭✭dave66

I'd like a nice fast 50mm for my Sony or an 18-200 as a walk around lens - it's not going to happen, unless I sell some of my Minolta film kit, but no harm in dreaming.

So I'll gladly accept the North Face e-tip gloves I have suggested to my fmily.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,154 ✭✭✭dinneenp

jpb1974 wrote: »
    Question -

Do grown adults actually buy themselves a present for Christmas, hide it away and then get up at 6am on Christmas morning and act all surprised when they open it up?

Well it's a present from my wife. But seeing as 1. I have paypal account 2. was in contact with seller through forum it's easier for me to buy it.

She puts it away so I don't get to use it until Xmas day (beside a very quick check to verify that it works) so it's not a suprise but it something that I really want and look forward to opening and playing with/using on Xmas morning.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,369 ✭✭✭Fionn

if Canon came out with a new EF 24 -70 IS - that'd be on my Christmas List => big fan of Image Stabilisation (probably due to my shaky hands).
    But seeing as they're not at this time, I wont be getting any camera stuff for Christmas (probably wont be getting much of anything ) :)
    Might be selling off some kit for the Christmas season tho!! ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 604 ✭✭✭angeleyes

Might - just might treat myself to Canon 5D mark ii

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,369 ✭✭✭Fionn

remember that they have to impose a sales tax of 8.875% on goods bought within the state. So you need to allow for that
    :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 837 ✭✭✭xshayx

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,699 ✭✭✭ThOnda

Santa came this year a bit early. Picture from the photoshoot that is not suitable for work is here.

It Christmas, where are my Christmas CDs? :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,042 ✭✭✭spooky donkey

I was thinking of getting a flash but then for all the indoor work I do im wondering why bother.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,067 ✭✭✭AnimalRights

Fionn wrote: »
    remember that they have to impose a sales tax of 8.875% on goods bought within the state. So you need to allow for that
    :(
    You think I'm telling my GF that??!!

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭dockc

You think I'm telling my GF that??!!

Hi Guys,

new to this section of boards......my sister purchased a Canon T2i recently in the states (n europe its 550D i think) and is getting into the photography now as a hobby so was looking for some ideas for a xmas pressie for it......

she has a bag - was thinking either a bigger lense or tripod stand or something - any advise would be greatly appreciated.....

Thanks a million

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 679 ✭✭✭Kbeg3

I'm thinking now I'd like a compact camera that I can have in my pocket when I'm out and don't want to carry the D300 around, looking at the Canon S95. Anyone have any opinions?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,154 ✭✭✭dinneenp

Kbeg3 wrote: »
    I'm thinking now I'd like a compact camera that I can have in my pocket when I'm out and don't want to carry the D300 around, looking at the Canon S95. Anyone have any opinions?
    Look at this- Enthusiast Compact review.
    They don't include the Samsung EX1. flip screen, stunning resolution on the screen, f1.8.
    The Canon is the smallest
    These are the three I'm considering, will probably get the Samsung.
    1. canon s90/95
    2. Panasonic LX 3/5
    3. Samsung EX1/TL500

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 sonmez

I have D90 and 18-200 sigma OS lens on it , I ordered me 85mm nikon 1.8 AF lens , I hope its a good lens.

I wanted to have nikon 24-70mm 2.8 but it was too expensive and I dont have a full frame dslr , maybe next time D700 + 24-70mm 2.8 :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,756 ✭✭✭Thecageyone

There is a Sigma 28-70mm f/2.8 lens that goes pretty cheap, not sure if it's any way decent though. Conns have used ones for €175.

Me, I really want to trade my D200 up to a D300/300s/D7000 - mostly for better noise handling and I would find Live view useful too. But nobody wants my D200 atm, so maybe a nice Raw-capable compact for when i don't want to carry the bag around.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,255 ✭✭✭Renn

Can you guys recommend anything nice and 'cheap' to get for a Canon 5D Mk II? I presume any accessory you get for this is steep enough - anything around the 200 mark that is handy to have?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,756 ✭✭✭Thecageyone

Do you have a flash unit? or maybe a 50mm f/1.8 prime lens? Or is it for a present for someone else? Maybe a microphone to make the best of it's HD video capabilities? If it's for someone else, best to find out what gear they already have.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,220 ✭✭✭Slidinginfinity

Scratch everything else I want, things have changed and now just hoping for a good enough credit rating adn couple other intangable things, so that we can buy a new house.

Advertisement