Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

[Ulster Bank] - Debit Card.

Options
  • 28-10-2010 5:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭

Hi there.

I have a Laser/Maestro card on my Adapt account in Ulster Bank. After reading on the UB website that young people account's can get Debit cards. (I'd like to use it for online shopping)

So I went in today and cashed my wages and handed my old card and asked could I get it changed to a Debit card. The woman said since I am only 16 and that I have an Adapt account, I am not eligible for one.

.. I am a bit confused, can I or can't I get one? Two sources from the same bank saying 2 different answers? :rolleyes:

If I can, how do I go about getting one if they won't let me have one in my local branch?

Thank you for any help you can give in advance.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,558 ✭✭✭kaiser sauze

I agree with you: http://www.ulsterbank.ie/roi/personal/daily-banking/current-accounts/card/visa-debit/faq.ashx

Go back into the branch and find a knowledgeable staff member.

• Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭Zhavey

Thanks I'll do that. :) For safety I am going to print that page and show it to them if they say the same, or I get the pleasure of the same woman.

Gotto love people who just love their own jobs and are commited to pleasing people.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,816 ✭✭✭unclebill98

Your allowed to have a Visa Debit Debit Card.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 7,395 Mod ✭✭✭✭**Timbuk2**

I got a Visa Debit Debitcard (read: not a servicecard - i.e. no cheque guarantee function) when I was 17.

• Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭Zhavey

Thankfully I went in today, after I explained to a much nicer woman who was much more helpful got it all sorted and the card should be on its way at the moment! Couldn't help but chuckle at the woman who served me yesterday look at me with a rasied eyebrow. :D

Thanks all for the help!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,448 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

I agree with you: http://www.ulsterbank.ie/roi/personal/daily-banking/current-accounts/card/visa-debit/faq.ashx

Go back into the branch and find a knowledgeable staff member.

Unfortunately very rare in my branch of Ulster Bank.:rolleyes: Try cancelling a direct debit for example!

dub45 wrote: »
    Unfortunately very rare in my branch of Ulster Bank.:rolleyes: Try cancelling a direct debit for example!

:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,558 ✭✭✭kaiser sauze

dub45 wrote: »
    :confused:

He has got a point, Bill, many bank staff seem to have problems with the direct debit scheme and the rights of the bank customer.

It is not only Ulster that have this problem.

He has got a point, Bill, many bank staff seem to have problems with the direct debit scheme and the rights of the bank customer.

It is not only Ulster that have this problem.

That is exactly the point I was trying to make - the lack of Knowledge of the staff in my branch of UB in respect of what should be a very basic daily occurrence is quite shocking. I actually had to print off an excerpt from the dd scheme and bring it into them.

And I had assumed that they were not the only bank with this lack of knowledge.

There is no printed reference material in respect of the dd scheme available to bank staff apparently.

I didn't mean to hijack the thread and steer it towards dds by the way but I assume that information about debit cards available to bank staff is probably about as plentiful as the information about the dd scheme.:rolleyes:

Im amazed. In all fairness you dont need to have any knowledge of the DD Scheme to cancel a DD. Its a simple process that takes all of 30sec.

Back on topic, again the Card things is easy too. I would have taken no more than 1 min to see what card is meant for the account.

Some staff need a could route up the a**e.....

• Advertisement

Im amazed. In all fairness you dont need to have any knowledge of the DD Scheme to cancel a DD. Its a simple process that takes all of 30sec.

Back on topic, again the Card things is easy too. I would have taken no more than 1 min to see what card is meant for the account.

Some staff need a could route up the a**e.....

Unfortunately many bank staff havent the slightest clue about the most basic elements of the dd scheme and there have been many threads on boards about even bank managers refusing to cancel a dd.

Advertisement