Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Knocknacarra/Rahoon History

Options
  • 22-10-2010 12:55am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,155 ✭✭✭

Geographically, it is Rahoon.

No different to Salthill Devon which is no more in Salthill than Mervue is in Hawaii.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,194 ✭✭✭magentas

ErnieBert wrote: »
    Geographically, it is Rahoon.

No different to Salthill Devon which is no more in Salthill than Mervue is in Hawaii.
    Like I said not nitpicking but...:o
    is salthill devon not a football club?
    and it's common for a FC to have a name that often has little relevance to it's location?

B&Qs business address as listed on their own website is
    Galway West District Centre Western Distributor Road Knocknacarra Galway and maps seem to pinpoint it as knocknacarra and rahoon and knocknacarra appear to be two seperate areas?

I'm very open to correction though!:)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

magentas wrote: »
    Like I said not nitpicking but...:o
    is salthill devon not a football club?
    and it's common for a FC to have a name that often has little relevance to it's location?
    B&Qs business address as listed on their own website is
    Galway West District Centre Western Distributor Road Knocknacarra Galway and maps seem to pinpoint it as knocknacarra and rahoon and knocknacarra appear to be two seperate areas?
    I'm very open to correction though!:)

It's still in Rahoon.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,210 ✭✭✭dolphin city

anyone who has lived here all the lives will realise it is Rahoon. Also the area that the Rahoon Flats used to be in i.e. where the Hanley Oaks Hotel is is ALSO Rahoon (not Taylor's Hill) as some people like to pretend.

Knocknacarra is a long way away from B and Q.

• Registered Users Posts: 178 ✭✭claw14

Correct Dolphin City.
    It's amazing how people "stretch" address's like Taylors Hill etc. because they don't like the sound of Rahoon.
    FYI, I remember when Dunnes opened first in Rahoon, they had Rahoon on their address. It quickly got changed to Knocknacarra. Strange !!!!!!!

It's an unwritten rule that rahoon runs right of the western Distributor road and Knocknacarra runs left. I don't know if that's down on any map but it's whats understood by locals.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,194 ✭✭✭magentas

jeez no worries, I've no problem with it been rahoon, I ain't trying ti stretch the address but for all the reasons given in my last post I genuinely thought it was Knocknacarra

and why, what's wrong with rahoon?

And no I didn't grow up and live here all my life as local people love to boast about here!
    Only here 9years

I suppose the problem for me is that I'm not a born & bred local and only have stuff like maps and business addresses to go by:rolleyes:

well that's something new I've learned
    cheers guys

• Advertisement

cheers guys

Good.

jeez no worries, I've no problem with it been rahoon, I ain't trying ti stretch the address but for all the reasons given in my last post I genuinely thought it was Knocknacarra

and why, what's wrong with rahoon?

And no I didn't grow up and live here all my life as local people love to boast about here!
    Only here 9years

I suppose the problem for me is that I'm not a born & bred local and only have stuff like maps and business addresses to go by:rolleyes:

cheers guys

magentas - before you arrived 9 years ago, there used to be high rise flats in the glen dara, hanley oaks hotel and right across from glen dara area - they were called the Rahoon Flats and the working class people or people on social housings were made to live in them - sometimes the heat in them got so hot that you could not walk on the floors in these flats. they had no lifts as far as I remember and they were up to six and seven floors high. It was not a desirable area to live in - they tore them down and built first Inishannagh Park which is still there now, and then the other estates beside the hanley oaks. The Glen Dara estate was a private estate. All of this area was rahoon - there was not the big housing estates you see now - but once they started putting up the estates they changed the name to Knocknacarra, but everyone knows its Rahoon.

Its kind of like brandishing the new name of the latin quarter on the quay street area, to bring people into it.

Knocknacarra/Taylor's Hill/Salthill were the upper class areas of Galway way back when. not anymore tho.

And just so you know - Quay Street and High Street were not always as there were now - lots of the locals would not have been seen dead down in these streets except to visit either Deacy's Fish Shop or McDonaghs Fish Shop on the other end.

Just so you know.

• Registered Users Posts: 178 ✭✭claw14

And another thing.........
    I don't know why the self service tills in B+Q Rahoon are almost constantly closed off these days.:D:D:D

Sorry, I just love the way way threads take on a life of their own on Boards.
    Back on topic.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,967 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Knocknacarra/Taylor's Hill/Salthill were the upper class areas of Galway way back when. not anymore tho.

So what is the upper class area now?

JustMary wrote: »

Oi,this is a republic where everyone is equal and no one is at a disadvantage...

• Advertisement

JustMary wrote: »

that would just be the taylors hill area - not necessarily the main road area, but the very exclusive hidden away "estates" that you cannot see from the main road because of the very large high walls.

Salthill/Knocknacarra - although some are trying to hold on by their fingernails to the "exclusive" tag on these areas, they are as common as every other place in the town now.

• Registered Users Posts: 302 ✭✭SparKing

magentas - before you arrived 9 years ago, there used to be high rise flats in the glen dara, hanley oaks hotel and right across from glen dara area - they were called the Rahoon Flats and the working class people or people on social housings were made to live in them - sometimes the heat in them got so hot that you could not walk on the floors in these flats. they had no lifts as far as I remember and they were up to six and seven floors high. It was not a desirable area to live in - they tore them down and built first Inishannagh Park which is still there now, and then the other estates beside the hanley oaks. The Glen Dara estate was a private estate. All of this area was rahoon - there was not the big housing estates you see now - but once they started putting up the estates they changed the name to Knocknacarra, but everyone knows its Rahoon.

Its kind of like brandishing the new name of the latin quarter on the quay street area, to bring people into it.

And just so you know - Quay Street and High Street were not always as there were now - lots of the locals would not have been seen dead down in these streets except to visit either Deacy's Fish Shop or McDonaghs Fish Shop on the other end.

Just so you know.

There were never flats at Glen Dara, it was green field/wasteland, the flats were where Droim Chaoin is now and where Corrach Buí is (we used to call them the near flats[Corrach Buí] and far flats [Droim Chaoin])

They had no lifts and were Max 5 stories high but I think they were only 4.
    Inishannagh Park is there nearly 30 years.
    They were very hot in the Winter when they turned the heat on though.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,391 ✭✭✭inisboffin

Rahoon is a mid range area imo. There are some lovely older houses up the Rahoon Rd (the Mincloon/Rahoon boundaries weave in and out). There are nicer estates that are from the late 70s like Rockfield and the one opposite it up the road near the ancient graveyard. While Currach Buí is a bit rough (where the flats used to be), the 'line of division' with the rougher area seems to be the playing fields which divide Rahoon from Westside. It's all rubbish really, as there are pockets of nice areas and worse areas both sides. The 'Parish' of Rahoon is huge.

Rahoon is a lot safer at night than Taylors Hill these days according to a guard who lives nearby.
    Knocknacarra used to be 'the country'. I never knew it as posh ever tbh!
    It went from the country to suburbs. Kingston, Taylors Hill and, Gentian Hill were the posh places, probably still are. Parts of inner Salthill too.

• Registered Users Posts: 529 ✭✭✭eagle10

Just so you know.
    SparKing wrote: »
    There were never flats at Glen Dara, it was green field/wasteland, the flats were where Droim Chaoin is now and where Corrach Buí is (we used to call them the near flats[Corrach Buí] and far flats [Droim Chaoin])

Thanks for that sparking was just about to write the same thing you saved me the hassle.

Fed up of people like that fella shoving muck down your throat here when they dont know their arse from their elbow

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,790 ✭✭✭confuseddotcom

Is there a Dunnes in Knocknacarra??

Is there a Dunnes in Knocknacarra??

LOL! No but there's one in Rahoon despite what the papers say!:p

• Registered Users Posts: 25,967 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

inisboffin wrote: »
    LOL! No but there's one in Rahoon despite what the papers say!:p

Well yes, but I wonder how much lower the sales would be if it was called that.

A republic and ye are all equal? Yeah, right. That's the funniest thing I've heard this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,848 ✭✭✭?Cee?view

[QUOTE=inisboffin;
    Knocknacarra used to be 'the country'. I never knew it as posh ever tbh!
    It went from the country to suburbs. Kingston, Taylors Hill and, Gentian Hill were the posh places, probably still are. Parts of inner Salthill too.[/QUOTE]

This is all quite recent stuff.

Knocknacarra was never "posh" whatever that means. All that was ther was farms and usually pretty poor ones as the land for agricultural purposes was pretty awful. This only goes back about thirty years though. There was pretty much nothing there before then.

Rahoon's association with poverty goes back well before the flats. It was the site of many tinker encampments ( as they were called back then) and the farms around were poor dairy farms.

Kingston didn't really exist until about 35 years ago. Before this name was adopted Taylor's Hill stretched as far as Knocknacarra cross. Some in Kingston use the address Kingston, Taylor's hill . I've relatives who left our family home in the 1950s who jus use the address Taylor's Hill - they wouldn't know where to find Kingston - to them it's the name of the brothers house, not an address.

SparKing, thank you thank you thank you

churchview wrote: »

Knocknacarra was never "posh" whatever that means. All that was ther was farms and usually pretty poor ones as the land for agricultural purposes was pretty awful. This only goes back about thirty years though. There was pretty much nothing there before then.

Rahoon's association with poverty goes back well before the flats. It was the site of many tinker encampments ( as they were called back then) and the farms around were poor dairy farms.

Kingston didn't really exist until about 35 years ago. Before this name was adopted Taylor's Hill stretched as far as Knocknacarra cross. Some in Kingston use the address Kingston, Taylor's hill . I've relatives who left our family home in the 1950s who jus use the address Taylor's Hill - they wouldn't know where to find Kingston - to them it's the name of the brothers house, not an address.

In my Grandmother's time, those with any cattle were posher than those with none :) She did know people who lived in what is now Knocknacarra, so I assume there were some houses then.

Rahoon was a huge parish, technically taking in as far as Barna and beyond I believe. Lots of associations with poverty yes, but also had its affluent residents too. I believe Col. Bodkin (as in the roundabout ;) ) was from there.

Yes, I knew that about Taylor's Hill/Kingston, and that's why I mentioned them together. Half the people in Maunsells Park use Taylors Hill as an address and half use Shantalla, and it has little to do with which side of the park they are on and all about the G4 mentality!:D

• Advertisement

SparKing wrote: »

If I remember correctly in my post I said the Glen Dara area and that Glen Dara PRIVATE - also if you are old enough to remember, the people in the flats could not wait to get out of them - INishannagh was built for the next step AFTER the flats - thats where you went. the Drum Chaoin/Corrach Bui are only recent developments after the flats were knocked but Inishannagh may be there for 30 years but when people did their time at the flats they were moved to Inishannagh to make more room at the flats for people.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,899 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

This has turned into a very off topic thread but it's interesting. Do we need a History of Galway section ?.

i beg to differ, Knocknacarra WAS considered posh and yes there were houses there - ask your mam or dad - maybe you just didn't live nearby or spend any time there - if you talk to someone that lived in the area you will find out what it was like.

also I never heard of the "tinker emcampments" - yes the tinkers parked their caravans and lived all up along the side of the road heading to Rahoon but there were no specific traveller "encampments" - again check with your mam or dad or someone who actually lived in the area. ;)

i beg to differ, Knocknacarra WAS considered posh and yes there were houses there - ask your mam or dad - maybe you just didn't live nearby or spend any time there - if you talk to someone that lived in the area you will find out what it was like.

also I never heard of the "tinker emcampments" - yes the tinkers parked their caravans and lived all up along the side of the road heading to Rahoon but there were no specific traveller "encampments" - again check with your mam or dad or someone who actually lived in the area. ;)

I'm disappointed that your attitude is so narky, when in fact I've "defended" you on another post.

Name me one so called "posh" area in Knocknacarra? Good luck with that.

Yes, there was the occasional farm, and a few houses.

There's be no point my asking my parents about the "tinker encampments". They were from before their time; more like my grandparents time. Whether you've heard of them or not is irrelevant.

Clearly you've wonderful local knowledge of the area, and your family has been there for ages - well done; it must give you a warm fuzzy feeling inside :rolleyes: I would ask my parents for more detail but one is dead and the other is as good as, but hey, I don't need to ask. I well remember being able to look out the back window of my home as a child being able to see fields and fields before Clybaun Heights, Oldfield (Seangort), all of Ballymoneen or any of those were built. Sure you'd see the odd house but nothing much more.

I'm disappointed that your attitude is so narky, when in fact I've "defended" you on another post.

There's be no point my asking my parents about the "tinker encampments". They were from before their time; more like my grandparents time. Whether you've heard of them or not is irrelevant.

Clearly you've wonderful local knowledge of the area, and your family has been there for ages - well done; it must give you a warm fuzzy feeling inside :rolleyes: I would ask my parents for more detail but one is dead and the other is as good as, but hey, I don't need to ask. I well remember being able to look out the back window of my home as a child being able to see fields and fields before Clybaun Heights, Oldfield (Seangort), all of Ballymoneen or any of those were built. Sure you'd see the odd house but nothing much more.

There are no "posh" areas of knocknacarra now as I mentioned in my earlier post - it is full of estates and is just as common as other areas - however if you had read my post properly you would have read that knocknacarra was considered very posh years ago - long before your clybaun heights and oldfield estates went up - in fact even before Corrib Park was built - I don't know if you can remember or were around before Corrib Park was built, again maybe you could ask someone that was. Everyone in fact could look out their window and see fields before these estates were built - thats not to say that knocknacarra did not exist and it wasn't considered posh and there was not houses in it. It was where the upper classes went to live who had money or who wanted to be seen to have money. Again, I suggest you check with people who were around at the time. ;)

I don't really need defending thanks - if you agree or disagree with posts on here thats fine, but people shouldn't "owe" you one for "defending" them on another post. Its entirely up to the poster to agree/disagree.

Yes I do get a warm fuzzy feeling when I think back on what it was like - Im sure everyone does when they look back. You must be very very young if the "tinkers" were only there in your grandparents time and not your parents, hence this may be why you don't actually know about the knocknacarra points in this post.

There are no "posh" areas of knocknacarra now as I mentioned in my earlier post - it is full of estates and is just as common as other areas - however if you had read my post properly you would have read that knocknacarra was considered very posh years ago - long before your clybaun heights and oldfield estates went up - in fact even before Corrib Park was built - I don't know if you can remember or were around before Corrib Park was built, again maybe you could ask someone that was. Everyone in fact could look out their window and see fields before these estates were built - thats not to say that knocknacarra did not exist and it wasn't considered posh and there was not houses in it. It was where the upper classes went to live who had money or who wanted to be seen to have money. Again, I suggest you check with people who were around at the time. ;)

Where did I say that I was talking about "Knocknacarra now"?

Tell me where the "Upper Classes" lived in Knocknacarra? One or two isolated houses maybe, but where were these hoards of the "upper class" who lived in Knocknacarra. Try to name me four or five families who lived in these upper class Knocknacarra areas. You won't because Knocknacarra was never "posh". It consisted of small farms and in the 19th Century less than a handful of "big" houses. Between then and now its inhabitants may have heard of "posh", but they certainly didn't live it!

To be clear, I'm asking you. I'm not going off to ask anyone else even if you "tell" me to.

Also, what in the name of God has Corrib Park to do with Knocknacarra? It's nowhere near it.

Finally, you don't know the first thing about me. So stop implying that I'm some young one that has to run off and ask someone older than me, just because I disagree with you when you're wrong.

I don't really need defending thanks - if you agree or disagree with posts on here thats fine, but people shouldn't "owe" you one for "defending" them on another post. Its entirely up to the poster to agree/disagree."

...in a manner which is logical and doesn't cause offence.

You must be very very young if the "tinkers" were only there in your grandparents time and not your parents, hence this may be why you don't actually know about the knocknacarra points in this post.

Apologies. I forgot to comment on this bit of nonsense. I'm not talking about recently when they were there in the last 40 - 50 years. I'm talking late 19th and early 20th century. I'm sure you yourself were there at that time though and will therefore have a contrary view :rolleyes:

• Advertisement

Where did I say that I was talking about "Knocknacarra now"?

Tell me where the "Upper Classes" lived in Knocknacarra? One or two isolated houses maybe, but where were these hoards of the "upper class" who lived in Knocknacarra. Try to name me four or five families who lived in these upper class Knocknacarra areas. You won't because Knocknacarra was never "posh". It consisted of small farms and in the 19th Century less than a handful of "big" houses. Between then and now its inhabitants may have heard of "posh", but they certainly didn't live it!

To be clear, I'm asking you. I'm not going off to ask anyone else even if you "tell" me to.

Also, what in the name of God has Corrib Park to do with Knocknacarra? It's nowhere near it.

Finally, you don't know the first thing about me. So stop implying that I'm some young one that has to run off and ask someone older than me, just because I disagree with you when you're wrong.

:D:D I know I'm probably older than a lot on here, but apologies for the fact that I was not around in the 19th century so therefore will not try to pretend I know who lived where during that time. Whether you chose to believe it or not, Knocknacarra was considered upmarket and posh appox 30 - 40 years ago and beyond. If you actually know about Galway at all, you will realise that Galway was basically made up of estates built around the town, bohermore, claddagh, fairhill, shantalla, and much later Corrib Park/Coogan etc. Highfield Park was considered a lot "better" than places in Corrib Park/Shantalla/ as was Greenfields/Fairlands. Knocknacarra considered upmarket and people who thought they were better than others decided to purchase houses in Knocknacarra and Yes again I stress there were houses in Knocknacarra at the time - not farms - houses. again just because you didn't seem them from your bedroom window did not mean they didn't exist (unless of course you lived in a glass house LOL). I'm gettin tired of trying to explain the actual situation - again I suggest you speak to someone you trust and they will set you straight.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement