Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Motorway speed checks KK-CW

Options
  • 28-10-2010 5:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,194 ✭✭✭

It can't be by chance. I drove to Carlow this Monday and today as well on the motorway and an unmarked Mondeo was checking speeds on the 2 occasions. Are the guards missing revenue or what? So look out guys just stick to the speed limits!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,092 ✭✭✭catbear

They seem to like that spot on the access road from the motorway to the hebron rd roundabout. I bet lots of people think it's 120kmph like on the motorway when it's actually 100kmph.

Also beware of well intentioned drivers who think they're been safe by pulling onto the hard shoulder to take phone calls. You'll get done for obstruction. I've seen it twice today.

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭gunner11

isnt there a private company being employed to roll out speed checks from november onwards? so could get alot worse next month, extra revenue needed & all. also, was stopped last week on the new kk link road to the motorway for tax/insurance garda check. was on the only straight stretch too, so no turning around there for anyone without em;)!!

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,497 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

M9 is extremely popular with both marked and unmarked Gardai cars, I've been driving it since it opened before the summer down to Waterford and I see them about every second day.
    catbear wrote: »
    Also beware of well intentioned drivers who think they're been safe by pulling onto the hard shoulder to take phone calls. You'll get done for obstruction. I've seen it twice today.

Pulling in on the hard shoulder of a motorway is not being safe its being idiot, either gets a hands free, don't answer the phone or park in the proper signed parking area on the side of a motorway.

Pulling into the hard shoulder is illegal and is pretty dangerous and should only be done if your broken down.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,234 ✭✭✭thetonynator

There was a marked one there round paulstown on monday evening . ..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,987 ✭✭✭ottostreet

ANPR unmarked on the link road to the motorway at 8am this morning.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 11,391 Mod ✭✭✭✭Captain Havoc

Ha,ha, my car isn't even capable of breaking the speed limit. Hope to be driving to work instead of takin the train in two weeks though.

https://ormondelanguagetours.com

Walking Tours of Kilkenny in English, French or German.

• Registered Users Posts: 238 ✭✭rayc

padyjoe wrote: »
    It can't be by chance. I drove to Carlow this Monday and today as well on the motorway and an unmarked Mondeo was checking speeds on the 2 occasions. Are the guards missing revenue or what? So look out guys just stick to the speed limits!

Not forgetting of course that it's nearing the end of the month and the quotas have to be met. They're always more visible towards the end of the month.....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,313 ✭✭✭fabbydabby

So much for Garda speed check resources being allocated to the most dangerous times and places (country roads at 2AM on weekends).

How many people got killed on the link road to the motorway doing 12 miles an hour over the speed limit at 8AM on a weekday?

It's a bloody racket.

I cant see why they dont do it at 2a.m., gardai are always looking for bonuses for working unsociable hours and ridiculous things like that . . .

• Subscribers Posts: 4,419 ✭✭✭PhilipMarlowe

fabbydabby wrote: »
    So much for Garda speed check resources being allocated to the most dangerous times and places (country roads at 2AM on weekends).

How many people got killed on the link road to the motorway doing 12 miles an hour over the speed limit at 8AM on a weekday?

It's a bloody racket.
    To and extent this is true...
    However, the marked car that is parked up on the observation ramps on the M9 will get a lot more notice from a lot more drivers which is an important part...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,194 ✭✭✭padyjoe

I have to take an extra care that! Mine not a muscle car either but
    easily does a 55-60kph in a 50 zone!

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,497 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Ha,ha, my car isn't even capable of breaking the speed limit. Hope to be driving to work instead of takin the train in two weeks though.

My cars much the same, even if I was speeding the Gardai would think the speed camera is broken "no way that kind of car can do over 120km"
    :pac:

fabbydabby wrote: »

It's a bloody racket.

How so?
    Isn't 120km fast enough for people?

Bottom line its the law so the Gardai are doing their job, also both you and I know there are plenty people doing 180km on that motorway at times.

this may sound silly, but whats the point of having a speed limit on a motorway? like if u do crash at a speed over 100km/h does it really matter if ur doin 120, 150, 180, etc etc, same result. u should drive to the conditions anyways

gunner11 wrote: »
    this may sound silly, but whats the point of having a speed limit on a motorway? like if u do crash at a speed over 100km/h does it really matter if ur doin 120, 150, 180, etc etc, same result. u should drive to the conditions anyways

doing double the speed limit on a motorway probably isn't as dangerous as doing the speed limit on some of our roads is . . .

• Registered Users Posts: 3,144 ✭✭✭Benny Cake

I got done doing 111kph in the 100 zone just off the motorway, honestly though i was still in a 120kph zone....... Unmarked Mondeo pulled in at the side of the road with the lights off (no lights on the road meant he was invisible)

I know technically I was breaking the law but it just stinks to me of a money racket.... Pulling for speeding just off a motorway is like shooting fish in a barrel and can they honestly say its going to save lives. How many road deaths happen in these areas?

Anyway, drivers beware....

I think it's right that that the speed on that section is lower than the motorway as there is no central division and after a few hours off motorway driving it might happen that, with tiredness, a driver might not notice that they were now on a two way road.

It's still new but a few fines and word of mouth will remind people that this section of new road, while extremely good, is not a motorway. I had to remind myself of that the first few times I used it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,194 ✭✭✭padyjoe

They were at it again at the Paulstown exit. I wonder are the guards allowed to park anywhere for speedchecks? The car was parked up on the continuous yellow line halfway down on the joining road sitting high up to see both oncoming and going traffic.

If you anyone feels that the Garda are dangerously parked to observe traffic then contact the local station directly. They're supposed to uphold the law while not being above it. It will be interesting to see where the private speed cameras will be. This thread could become a sticky.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,777 ✭✭✭Bards

padyjoe wrote: »
    They were at it again at the Paulstown exit. I wonder are the guards allowed to park anywhere for speedchecks? The car was parked up on the continuous yellow line halfway down on the joining road sitting high up to see both oncoming and going traffic.

Is this not an issue for the Health & Safety Authority?

I thought all Motorways before they could open must pass a safety audit including where Gardai can perform Speed CHecks - hecnce the placement of their designated parking spots?

Or was this a complete waste of money and are never used?

• Advertisement

garda checks again on the motorway link road tonight, real hotspot. im starting to miss the old N10/N9, rarely saw gardai on that!!

Not just garda checks we have to worry about now!!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭johnmcdnl

gunner11 wrote: »

and what if you crash into someone else - i'd rather have you hit me at 100 rather than 180 tbh.. mightn't save me but if there's any hope...

also - how many fatal road crashes on main roads and motorways are at speeds over 100 and how many are below 100....

driving to conditions makes sense but people are gob****es - it's as simple as that - if you take away the speed limits then tomorrow morning when there's nearly no visibility people are gonna drive at 200kph because "they're allowed too"

people in Ireland just don't learn and haven't a clue how to drive in general and they just don't seem to realise that wet roads have less grip than dry roads... ice makes the road slippery too.. might sound obvious to me and you but haven't you seen lads flying down the roads and it snowing or something to that degree... yeah you have haven't you

about time there's more of a presence on the roads to try to stop the moronic driving that goes on...

just follow the rules of the road and you don't have to be worrying about these speed checks.. just think - is that 10kph over the speed limit going to make your journey so much faster that it's worth it...

gonna save you 20 minutes maybe if your driving the length of the country maybe???

exactly - why not just follow the rules of the road and not have to worry about these lads with their speeds cameras

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 11,391 Mod ✭✭✭✭Captain Havoc

Kilkenny to Dublin you're only going to save about 15 mins by speeding in my opinion. I don't think the possibility of surviving an accident at over 100kph comes into play here, you'll probably die but your ability to react to dangers, control your car and reduce the risk of puncture are what count.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,778 ✭✭✭up for anything

A heads up starting 15-11-10.

http://www.garda.ie/Controller.aspx?Page=5590

Stats for penalty points dished out, hasn't risen since the motorway opening, I also thought they'd be pulling more for speeding. They're there every evening and I coming home, lights off parked in a gateway on the left just before a rise in the road.

Advertisement