Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

SGU next for the axe?

Options
  • 28-10-2010 5:20pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,634 ✭✭✭✭

Please note, this is not me being negative, but realstic...in light of recent events with Caprica (while a different show, granted) one wonders how long before the axe comes down, or will it come down?

Will SGU be axed? 27 votes

Yes, gate locked out!
    0% 0 votes
    No, wormhole engaged!
    25% 7 votes
    Ah, i'm just enjoying it no matter how long it lasts!
    37% 10 votes
    You negative nelly...take it somewhere else!
    37% 10 votes

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 83,350 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Hard to say. The producers are not really hitting all the buttons the fans want them to press.

As for what happened to Caprica though that was very harsh, and drastic. I didn't watch it and I usually flipped off of it, but to have it last episodes pulled out of the slot seems like a real emergency pull. Makes you wonder what state the SyFy (bleh rename) network is in. Recession and Netflix have crashed the DVD market.

http://www.gateworld.net/news/2010/10/stargates-ratings-up-slightly-for-cloverdale/
    The initial ratings are in for “Cloverdale,” the fifth episode of Stargate Universe‘s new season! After a nosedive from it’s highest of the season two weeks ago (1.222 million) to its lowest of the season last week (0.974 million), SGU up-ticked to 1.01 million viewers, according to a trusted source at GateWorld Forum.

These are “Live + Same Day” ratings figures from Nielsen, meaning they account for those who watched the show live at 9 p.m. or DVR’ed it but watched it by 3 a.m. Additional DVR-offset ratings won’t be available for a few weeks.

Caprica followed at 10 p.m. and drew an estimated 840,000 viewers. That’s an improvement of 17 percent from last week’s series low, but not enough to save it from the cancellation announced by Syfy today.

On the big networks NCIS: Los Angeles and Dancing With the Stars (results show) once again owned the 9 p.m. slot, with 15.99 million and 15.93 million viewers, respectively.

Last week Stargate and Caprica also had to contend with the baseball playoffs, which grabbed nearly 10 million viewers. The World Series starts today, but there are no Tuesday games on the schedule.

Elsewhere in our ratings watch, Sanctuary continued its third season last Friday night with an unfortunate 23 percent drop from the third season premiere. Around 1.38 million viewers tuned in to see “Firewall” on October 22.

Next Tuesday’s episode of SGU will face a very different slate of network programming, as several of the networks preempt their new shows with election night coverage. NCIS: Los Angeles currently has a rerun scheduled; ABC is planning 90 minutes of Dancing With the Stars starting at 8 p.m., with election coverage starting at 9:30.

Keep your browser locked on GateWorld throughout the week for our full coverage of “Cloverdale!” We’ll be adding our analysis of plot and character developments, the episode summary and transcript, HD screen capture gallery, and updates to The Stargate Omnipedia. And don’t miss next week’s new episode of SGU on Tuesday night! “Trial and Error” airs at 9 p.m. on Syfy.

Not to be a ratings junkie (thanks a lot) but the numbers are dangerously close to what got Caprica killed. Didn't know Sanctuary's numbers were that good either, even when thats considered a huge drop for them.

By the way, I despair thinking that theres a stargate demographic out there that is more interested in Dancing With the Stars

Producers and Execs have a lot of say though, it depends on who likes or hates this stuff. And Caprica was very - different.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,091 ✭✭✭Antar Bolaeisk

I do think we'll be lucky to see a Season 3 of Stargate (possibly as a result of a fan campaign?) but I'm not convinced Sci-Fi threw it into the Tuesday slot just to die. They're obviously aware that there's stiff competition and I'm hoping that it was faith in the strength of Stargate that led to them putting it there rather than a way to completely cripple it in order to kill it off.

The other thing with Caprica is that there's a new show tooling up so maybe it's a similar situation as with Atlantis (which the cynical among us would believe was cancelled to make room for Universe).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,139 ✭✭✭-Trek-

NOOOO! - Please don't mention SGU and the cancel word :eek: its the one show that makes my week.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,533 ✭✭✭don ramo

im liking universe a lot but the numbers aint lying, sanctuary has overtaking its old lead-in show, and the likes of eureka and haven have averaged double what universe is getting in viewers,

i would say syfy view universe as there main scripted show, so it could be bad news, but at the same time the live+7 dvr ratings arent in yet and id say thats where universe is getting a nice bump in viewers, the biggest problem is reality tv, theeres no way around it, it has to be watched live therefore the women (and possibly men) in the house are gonna be watching that, and the man is (probably) out in the shed fixing the lawnmower waiting for reality tv to finnish so he can watch hes beloved SGU.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,186 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

It's a good show, so ya, it'll probably be cancelled. That way the networks can make way for more generic teen bull****, and more realitly tv shows. God knows, we need more of those.

Seriously, i ****ing hate people :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 7,843 ✭✭✭GSPfan

Kiith wrote: »
    Seriously, i ****ing hate people :mad:

+1 times 10.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,634 ✭✭✭✭Richard Dower

Jeez...and negative nelly winning, what is wrong with you people?

Ghost Hunters, Richard. Thats whats wrong with them.

I don't understand how, but its one of their highest rated shows.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,186 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

Jeez...and negative nelly winning, what is wrong with you people?

Hang on...we're negative? You're the one who is CONSTANTLY coming into threads saying, and i quote...
    Very weak episode, i expect a ratings disaster in the offing, under 900,000.
    You'll care when the show gets axed due to no one watching.
    SGU - RIP:

Stargate Universe (9pm)
    - 1.070 million viewers
    - 0.7/1 HH
    - 0.5/1 A18-49
    That's it lads, game over...RIP SGU:

Stargate Universe
    - 0.974 million viewers
    - 0.7/1 HH
    - 0.4/1 A18-49

Cause that's not negative at all :rolleyes:

• Advertisement

Nope, it's all realistic, truth and facts....is anything i said a lie?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,843 ✭✭✭GSPfan

No, but you're lying to the one person that matters, and thats yourself. Think about it!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,871 ✭✭✭Conor108

What else do SyFy show after this and Caprica? Sh*tty TV movies?

SGU 4 LIFE!!!!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,924 ✭✭✭✭RolandIRL

Haven and Warehouse 13 are also on SyFy, they're about the only ones i've watched. it's weird though that Haven's getting higher ratings than SGU so far especially since Haven is an off-season show. i would have thought SGU would be doing better.

really hope they don't cancel it. there's less good sci-fi shows to watch lately. even though SGU is like a poor man's BSG, it's still good in its own right, and i still look forward to it every week. i kinda wish they'd stick in more space opera/battles into it though. BSG had a lot of excellent space battles, but i wonder does SGU have the budget for it?

why not just stick with what got the rating they wanted, shows like SG-1 (seasons 1-8 of course) and SGA, fun shows, proper sci-fi,

its grand having the odd space opera but it only works probably 1 in 20, and BSG was that one for at least the next 5-10 years, why do they have to jump off there own bandwagon, just to jump on another one thats visably moving slower, BSG was great no doubth but it was slow developing espeacially season 3, and bar it being on the sci-fi channel it would have been cancelled half-way through season 1 for low ratings,

i dunno why they jumped ship on fun stargate when it traditionally performed better than BSG, just look at haven, eureka and sanctuary, fun shows some mystery, light sci-fi and fanstasy, no real angst in any of them, storys that move at a lesurely pace, all 3 outperforming the brooding stargate universe,

now dont get me totally wrong, as i said before i am enjoying universe, but i think the angst and lack of forward moving storyline are hugh factors in the ratings, this show is for people aged probably between 24-36, adult males that have been fans of stargate for 13 years,

if they have a mission they bloody well better get a move on, were 1/4 of the way through season 2, we should know by now where the show is going, i have patience, but a lot of 24-36 year-olds dont and they wanna know what there watching, well those that are still watching,

And pop quiz for people who might actually know the answer: is it bad when MGM files Chapter 11 Bankruptcy, or do we wait for the SyFy channel to do that?

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/10/30/business/media/30mgm.html?=dbk

• Registered Users Posts: 3,207 ✭✭✭hightower1

Overheal wrote: »
    And pop quiz for people who might actually know the answer: is it bad when MGM files Chapter 11 Bankruptcy, or do we wait for the SyFy channel to do that?

Thats biblically old news, the artical linked is just the approval for their filing of bankruptcy which they did about 6 + months back. Its why the next bond movie has been on indefinite hold.

Ref and artical from April 2010: http://www.telegraph.co.uk/culture/film/7618260/MGM-bankruptcy-lions-roar-has-long-been-a-whimper.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 226 ✭✭GarethWA

Nope, it's all realistic, truth and facts....is anything i said a lie?

Realism is not the same as pessimism! I think you just like the attention!:rolleyes:

hightower1 wrote: »
    Thats biblically old news, the artical linked is just the approval for their filing of bankruptcy which they did about 6 + months back. Its why the next bond movie has been on indefinite hold.

Ref and artical from April 2010: http://www.telegraph.co.uk/culture/film/7618260/MGM-bankruptcy-lions-roar-has-long-been-a-whimper.html
    Which is a shame because the Daniel Craig films are getting good and it looks like they're driving an overall story arc.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,276 ✭✭✭Memnoch

Which is a shame because the Daniel Craig films are getting good and it looks like they're driving an overall story arc.

I enjoyed the first one but Quantum of boredom was rubbish.

• Advertisement

I think the way it works is that SyFy forward the cash for the TV show but the financial difficulties of MGM have meant that we will probably never see the promised Atlantis film (Stargate Extinction) nor the third SG-1 film (Stargate: Revolution).

Basically they keep going with the show until SyFy says stop.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,167 ✭✭✭gsxr1

Sites like this are very representative of how many peeps want to see it.

this is where it is

stargate1s.jpg

this is where it should be to stop the chop.

stargate2v.jpg

the numbers on stargate U where the same as The Sarah Conner Chronicles before it got axed

GarethWA wrote: »
    Realism is not the same as pessimism! I think you just like the attention!:rolleyes:

When i say SGU RIP i am basing that on the ratings, that's not me wishing or being negative about the show. I think folks here need to look at themselves for a little bit.

I think folks here need to look at themselves for a little bit.

Why?

gsxr1 wrote: »
    the numbers on stargate U where the same as The Sarah Conner Chronicles before it got axed
    SCC was on Fox, which has a reputation of cancelling shows if there's any dip in the ratings. SyFy is different, for example, season 3 of BSG took a massive dip in ratings cos they changed the writing style, but rather than cancel it as Fox would have done, it continued on, and season 4 was a big improvement, and ended BSG on a high note.
    Maybe that's changed now, as we've seen with Caprica, where they've just jerked it around, and wanted it to be cancelled imo.

I think that changing SGU to Tuesday was a bit of a bad move. too much competition with other big shows.

whiteman19 wrote: »
    I think that changing SGU to Tuesday was a bit of a bad move. too much competition with other big shows.
    ya i initally thought it would be a great move, it looks like it backfired,

maybe syfy should just move it back to friday, and maybe with sanctuary on it will help boost SGUs ratings, either that or kill scott and chloe:D,

That's possibly why they moved it to Tuesday though, they might have felt that SGU was strong enough to pull in a bigger audience whereas something like Sanctuary, which is doing well enough on Friday, may not perform as well on Tuesday.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,758 ✭✭✭Peace

I get the fgeeling that the main motivation for your posts are to evoke a reaction Richard.

That's possibly why they moved it to Tuesday though, they might have felt that SGU was strong enough to pull in a bigger audience whereas something like Sanctuary, which is doing well enough on Friday, may not perform as well on Tuesday.
    Question is though, are they going to let it continue to spiral down in the ratings or move it back to Friday or another day with less competition?

I think that since it's got a 2nd season going, they won't end it like Caprica (in its first season), with just jerking it around. i really hope that if it does have to end, it'll end on a high. But SGU is kinda taking the Lost route, setting up storylines that'll play out over a couple of seasons, which a lot of shows are trying to mimic now. i'd prefer a storyline that'd run for 1, perhaps 2 seasons, but the rate at which this season is going, it'll be at least 20 seasons before we find out the mission :rolleyes:

• Advertisement

Question is though, are they going to let it continue to spiral down in the ratings or move it back to Friday or another day with less competition?

I think that since it's got a 2nd season going, they won't end it like Caprica (in its first season), with just jerking it around. i really hope that if it does have to end, it'll end on a high. But SGU is kinda taking the Lost route, setting up storylines that'll play out over a couple of seasons, which a lot of shows are trying to mimic now. i'd prefer a storyline that'd run for 1, perhaps 2 seasons, but the rate at which this season is going, it'll be at least 20 seasons before we find out the mission :rolleyes:

+1

Advertisement