Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Firearm Ownership Laws?

Options
  • 28-10-2010 6:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 21

I will be 16 in November and I want to then apply for my shotgun licence. Is it true that for a shotgun a gun safe is NOT required and all you need is a trigger lock? And how long would the process take before I get my licence after I apply? Is general game hunting around fields where I have permission from the farmer a good enough reason?
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

The big red flashing announcement on the main forum contains the answers you're looking for in detail.
    In quick format: Yes it's true you don't need a safe but it's false that a trigger lock is required; it depends on your local garda superintendant but the legal limit is three months; usually yes, so long as by game you mean rabbits or fowl, anything else probably needs more paperwork and a different firearm would be better anyway.

Also, general points - join your local gun club, get insurance (NARGC or CAI or IFA Countryside) and have someone train you properly.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,552 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

From another thread:

ezridax wrote:
    Necessities:
    1. License for a firearm
    2. Competency course
    3. Firearm
    4. Extras
    5. Gun Safe
    6. 2 x Land permissions (to shoot on)
    7. Insurance (for landowners peace of mind)
    Extras:
    1. Membership to club
    2. Shooting buddies (to help you get started and show you the ropes)
    Necessities explained.
    • You can get the application (FCA1) for a firearms license here. You need to fil it out completely and give in landpermissions, photos, GP details, 2 referrees (people that can vouch for you), gun details, source and previous experience, if any.
    • Competency courses are mandatory for those that have not held a firearms license for a particular type of firearm. So whether it be a shotgun or rifle if you have not been licensed or held one before you will need to do one of these courses. Details of such courses can be gotten from the MNSCI website, or NARGC website to name a few.
    • Which type of firearm are you interested in. Shotgun, rifle. Look around, or visit ranges to get an idea od the different tyoes and models available. Then shop around. Do not buy from the first shop you come a cross and never overlook second hand. They are often in as good a condition as new and come complete (as in rifle, scope, mounts, etc).
    • Never forget if buying a rifle you must not overlook the extras that must come with it. Mounts, rings, case, bipod, ammo, etc are all needed and will cost money so factor these into your budget.
    • A gun safe is always a requirement in my book. For a single shotgun a safe may not be necessary however i would suggest buying one anyway. Shows you are serious and security conscious.
    • Regardless of the hunting you are doing you will need permission letter from 2 landowners allowing you to shoot on their lands. This is a minimum and a must have.
    • Although not a requirment you will find more landowners willing to give you permissions if you have your own insurance. Look into this. Details can be gotten from IFA or Countryside Alliance.
    Extras Explained:
    • Membership to a gun club will provide you with insurance, experienced shooters to go with and learn from plus and introduction to locals, farmers and hunting in general. Worth looking into. Also if you have membership to a club then the land permission letters from the landowners is not needed.
    • As mentioned before i discourage new shooters from going out alone. For both a safety reason but also from a learning perspective. For that reason if you cannot get membership to a club why not bring out an experienced shooter or two with you. Learn from them and watch for how they conduct themselves.
    Any other questions feel free to ask and hope you get started. Its a great sport and thoroughly enjoyable.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

Advertisement