Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tom Clancy refugee needs recommendations

Options
  • 28-10-2010 6:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 28,860 ✭✭✭✭

Hey all,

So I've read all the "Jack Ryan" series of novels by Tom Clancy, as well as some of his earlier stuff around the secondary characters, and in the last few he'd become disappointingly predictable.

What I loved about these books though was the multiple threads that all weaved together by the end - but I'm also into that political techno thriller genre anyway so I've been trying to find a suitable replacement.

I've read 2 of Lee Child's "Jack Reacher" series and found them pretty good so might get some more, but any other suggestions?

Also, where's the best place to get books online these days as when ya "live in the sticks" the old bricks and mortar options are a bit limited - and overpriced!

Cheers!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,014 ✭✭✭Paddy Samurai

Kaiser2000 wrote: »
    Hey all,

So I've read all the "Jack Ryan" series of novels by Tom Clancy, as well as some of his earlier stuff around the secondary characters, and in the last few he'd become disappointingly predictable.

I read only a couple of Tom Clancy's books.Found them to be ok.

If you like thrillers try Robert Ludnum ,start off with "The Matarese Circle" and if you like it try some of his others.....The Chancellor manuscript,the scarletti inheritance,the Bourne idenity etc.

Eric van Lustbader wrote alot of great thrillers set in asia/japan...Ninja is a great read, try some of his others also the Miko , Shan etc.Nicholas Linnear is a great character.

Gerard Seymour ,David Morell,Daniel Easterman,Nelson de Millie and Craig Thomas are'nt bad either.
    Also, where's the best place to get books online these days as when ya "live in the sticks" the old bricks and mortar options are a bit limited - and overpriced!

Cheers!

Bookdepository.co.uk is my number one choice for buying new books,followed by play.com .For hard to get books or old editions try Abebooks.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,491 ✭✭✭sioda

Moved from Tom Clancy to Patrick Robinson same genre and styles.

Continue with the Reacher Novels great stories excellently written and fairly consistant just finishede the new one a few days ago.

Altough not as brainy for want of a better word Vince Flynns Mitch Rapp novels give good escapism.

After getting a few book from the book despository lately prefer amazon purely as amazon use cardboard packing instead of padded envelopes

• Registered Users Posts: 214 ✭✭tyler71

I have to say - believe the hype and read the Stieg Larsson novels, 'The Girl ....' . They're great reads, I think you'll really like them.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,990 ✭✭✭longshanks

Also have a look for Tom Rob Smith. Child 44 and The Secret Speech are pretty good, they're set in communist Russia just after the second world war. Both good thrillers, and the descriptions of how mental living and working under communism and the fear that goes with it give the books an edge.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,126 ✭✭✭✭calex71

You "might" like Resurrection Day by Glenn Meade (yes he's Irish and getting mentioned in a Tom Clancy thread :) )

Have to say I loved this book, was really into the show 24 at the time lol

Book was released in 2002 but was written before 9/11

from amazon
    Product Description
    The world's most powerful man!held to ransom by the world's most wanted terrorist. A chilling message is delivered to the US president by the world's most wanted terrorist -- a message that begins a daring siege, and America's worst nightmare. A terrorist cell hidden deep in the American capitol is ready to unleash a terrifying new secret weapon of mass destruction -- one so powerful it can decimate Washington and tear apart the Russian Federation -- unless their demands are met within seven days. When Washington and Moscow agree a joint plan to hunt down the terrorists and neutralise their threat before the deadline expires, FBI counter-terrorist expert Jack Collins is put in charge of the manhunt alongside Alexei Kursk, one of Russia's top investigators. For them the hunt is personal...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,500 ✭✭✭ReacherCreature

sioda wrote: »
    Altough not as brainy for want of a better word Vince Flynns Mitch Rapp novels give good escapism.

After getting a few book from the book despository lately prefer amazon purely as amazon use cardboard packing instead of padded envelopes

Lately, they've been getting more 'intelligent'. The early books were a little bombastic and typical enemy but since 9/11, the storylines are becoming more realistic.

Also, +1 on Lee Child's series, they're brilliant.

OP, make sure you check Tom Clancy's co-authorship with Larry Bond, Red Storm Rising.

Advertisement