Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eircom Sh*te

• 28-10-2010 6:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,160 ✭✭✭

hi guys. need a bit of advice here. iv'e currently got 3mb home broadband in a package that costs 29.99 along with the free land line calls for 29.99 so its 60 a month, now every time my bill comes in its around 120 euro a month, with vat and mobile or international calls etc. I want to lower this cost or at least upgrade my broadband with the same monthly figure. i live in the sticks although im only half a mile from the local exchange.Can any one suggest a better package?:cool: eircom rang me a few weeks ago offering a free upgrade to 7mb for 4 euro extra a month.

my broadband stats are as follows
    1008109754.png

ADSL
    Type Interleave
    Status
    Downstream Upstream
    Data Rate(Kbps)
    3072 384

Noise margin (dB)
    29.8 17.0

Output power (dBm)
    2.1 6.1

Attenuation (dB)
    19.0 9.0

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,212 ✭✭✭DECEiFER

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 353 ✭✭eezarthegreat

DECEiFER wrote: »

Are Vodafone any good though?

• Registered Users Posts: 703 ✭✭✭obliviousgrudge

1008177826.png

At least you get near your 3MB.

I'm on 3MB and the best I get is 1.70MB download, and thats in like the middle of the night

Are Vodafone any good though?
    I'm actually inquiring into that myself on another thread as I'm currently with UTV and am looking to reduce my bill.

The thing is, all they're doing is re-selling an Eircom product that they are purchasing through Eircom Wholesale. Eircom still manage the equipment at the exchange and your phone line.

My questions about Vodafone are about how strict they are at enforcing their download cap, how good their support service is (should something go wrong - as they'd need to put pressure on Eircom to fix any issues at the line or exchange level) and what their contention ratio is compared to my current 12:1 (apparently) with UTV. So if something goes wrong at your exchange, it'll be Eircom who'll have to fix it, regardless of who you're with (unless it's a LLU2 provider - who probably don't cover your area in the countryside).

emmetmcl wrote: »
    1008177826.png

At least you get near your 3MB.

I'm on 3MB and the best I get is 1.70MB download, and thats in like the middle of the night
    If you went with Vodafone you'd have the same problem. And if you were with Vodafone and went back to Eircom, you'd probably still have the same problem. The only way out is for Eircom to expand the capacity of your exchange (it's most likely over-subscribed) or you can go with a LLU2 ISP or UPC, etc. Sorry, you said middle of the night. Perhaps your line is of poor quality or your distance from the exchange is quite far.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 703 ✭✭✭obliviousgrudge

Yeah, thats the trouble, almost every provider you go to is using Eircom's lines so the only real difference you get is the price.

On the subject of download caps, I was charged an extra 40€ last month for extra downloading, teaches me to download a full series of Big Brother

Yeah, thats the trouble, almost every provider you go to is using Eircom's lines so the only real difference you get is the price.

On the subject of download caps, I was charged an extra 40€ last month for extra downloading, teaches me to download a full series of Big Brother
    Some ISP's over add-ons to allow you to download more. Vodafone and UTV do. I'm paying for UTV's 'Unlimited' add-on at an extra €5.99 per month.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,076 ✭✭✭ingen

eircoms broadband download allowances on NGB are

10gb
    30gb
    250gb

they are missing one around the 120gb or so... but most likely are being greedy......:mad:

ingen wrote: »
    eircoms broadband download allowances on NGB are

10gb
    30gb
    250gb

they are missing one around the 120gb or so... but most likely are being greedy......:mad:
    Feckers. They're all feckers to be honest.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,160 ✭✭✭bmw535d

can anyone link me to where you put in your phone number and account number to check how much you have downloaded each month? can't find it on eircom.ie:(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 518 ✭✭✭JeanClaude

bmw535d wrote: »
    can anyone link me to where you put in your phone number and account number to check how much you have downloaded each month? can't find it on eircom.ie:(

http://support.eircom.net/SRVS/CGI-BIN/WEBCGI.EXE/&/?New&Kb=bb&Company={1326AEE5-D1C7-47EA-B46D-F52C67C45DC5}

Upper right hand corner.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,323 ✭✭✭jay93

Id avoid vodafone they may be cheap but u will find that the customer service really dont have a clue the modem they supply sucks also

• Registered Users Posts: 312 ✭✭irishjig69b

u deserved to be fined for downloading that muck :D

Advertisement