Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tipp FM DJ in court

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 483 ✭✭tom thum

in fairness, id say it would take an awful lot for someone to smash a van with an axe. so he must have been absolutely boiling mad or really scared imo.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 202 ✭✭SparrowTown

tom thum wrote: »
    in fairness, id say it would take an awful lot for someone to smash a van with an axe. so he must have been absolutely boiling mad or really scared imo.
    wouldn't stop them reporting if anyone else was mad or scared. they are stuck in everyones life and think they have a right to be but mighty quiet on this regardless of the possible circumstances surrounding it

• Registered Users Posts: 1,064 ✭✭✭julyjane

I read about this in the Nationalist and it seems like a very bizarre incident from all sides, I'd say there is a lot more to it than what was reported.

If Tipp FM didn't report the case, it could be argued that to do so they could be seen to be biased or that it's a conflict of interest as he works for them.

I always like listening to NM on the radio, you'd think butter wouldn't melt in his mouth!

julyjane wrote: »
    I read about this in the Nationalist and it seems like a very bizarre incident from all sides, I'd say there is a lot more to it than what was reported.

If Tipp FM didn't report the case, it could be argued that to do so they could be seen to be biased or that it's a conflict of interest as he works for them.

I always like listening to NM on the radio, you'd think butter wouldn't melt in his mouth!
    how could it be biased to say what happened as the indo report does?
    they have an obligation to report the news. they were all over mattie mcgrath case, not that i am a mattie fan.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 675 ✭✭✭DT100

Would any Radio station in the same position have it on their news?....I doubt if they would.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭BOND747

id have gone out with the shotgun if 5 people arrived in my yard ten mins after one of them said they were gona kick the sh1t out of me on the phone

DT100 wrote: »
    Would any Radio station in the same position have it on their news?....I doubt if they would.
    http://www.rte.ie/news/2008/0408/kennyp.html
    then why do do they hound everyone else and feel entitled to do so?

BOND747 wrote: »
    id have gone out with the shotgun if 5 people arrived in my yard ten mins after one of them said they were gona kick the sh1t out of me on the phone
    that is irrelevant to the topic discussed

• Registered Users Posts: 1,556 ✭✭✭UpTheSlashers

Other than the mistake with the number, its very relevant.

it is not relevant to their lack of reporting it. they always report other cases where voilence is involved

• Advertisement

Take a chill pill dude i was only expressing my opinion on the incident. As regards to Tipp FM not reporting on it i suppose when its one of there own its a bit of an awkward one from them, there is no doubt if it was a dj from an other station they would be all over the story. Maybe there just showing a bit of loyalty to a member of staff

BOND747 wrote: »
    Take a chill pill dude i was only expressing my opinion on the incident.
    i was only pointing out i was not referring to that but to the fact they did not report it and your opinion on the incident was not relevant to the question of non reportage
    As regards to Tipp FM not reporting on it i suppose when its one of there own its a bit of an awkward one from them, there is no doubt if it was a dj from an other station they would be all over the story. Maybe there just showing a bit of loyalty to a member of staff
    yes maybe they are not reporting the news. someone told me they are going to report them for not reporting the news as they are obliged to.

friends in clonmel tell me they are stuck in everyones life and so smug about it too, how they know all that goes on in tipp. double standards

http://www.rte.ie/news/2008/0408/kennyp.html
    then why do do they hound everyone else and feel entitled to do so?
    The link is to a story about Pat Kenny....Pat is on a National station ,which is funded by the listeners,who in turn pay his wages...so I think you are not comparing like with like.When I posted my comment,it was as much a question as acomment.On one hand you have a station that says something like " If it happens in Tipp,you will hear it on Tipp today "..and S Martin on that programme can come over very smug at times.On the other hand,are you loyal to your employee?? The feeling I get from your post Sparrow is that you are not a fan of Tipp Fm,and I am trying to work out why you come across as so bitter,before all the details of the case come out,In saying all that,you are entitled to ask the question.

As far as i know there was four guys and a girl in the vehicle

The link is to a story about Pat Kenny....Pat is on a National station ,which is funded by the listeners,who in turn pay his wages...so I think you are not comparing like with like.When I posted my comment,it was as much a question as acomment.
    On one hand you have a station that says something like " If it happens in Tipp,you will hear it on Tipp today "..and S Martin on that programme can come over very smug at times.On the other hand,are you loyal to your employee?? The feeling I get from your post Sparrow is that you are not a fan of Tipp Fm,and I am trying to work out why you come across as so bitter,before all the details of the case come out,In saying all that,you are entitled to ask the question.
    not bitter, don't even know them, and i do not know or have anything against norman morrisey but i have heard of the band he was part of.

I am just asking why they boast about news coverage and when they get one on their doorstep they ignore it .plus they are obliged by their licence to report the news and they reported on other stories before all details of case came out. when mattie mcgrath was in court they were there every day reporting from the court. btw i am not a fan of mattie just saying why him and not their own. i do not buy the loyalty to employee, either they are reporters reporting news or they are not. anyone who is in court has friends who are loyal to them but that does not stop tipp fm from reporting their case/causing them shame /embarrassment. what right do they have to inflict that on others if they will be loyal to one of their own

all i know about tipp fm is from friends in clonmel who tell me of the "If it happens in Tipp,you will hear it on Tipp today ". and "we know everything in tipp etc" - actually they don't cos i have been told of of several things that happened right under their noses in tipp but that is another story. and smug is the word used as well as how they feel entitled to stick their noses into anyones life and say if something is in the public domain they can comment on it and so they can but why be selective. this story is in the public domainso are the listeners not entitled to have their noses their lives. it cuts both ways

So i was just asking why the double standard

not bitter, don't even know them, and i do not know or have anything against norman morrisey but i have heard of the band he was part of.

I am just asking why they boast about news coverage and when they get one on their doorstep they ignore it .plus they are obliged by their licence to report the news and they reported on other stories before all details of case came out. when mattie mcgrath was in court they were there every day reporting from the court. btw i am not a fan of mattie just saying why him and not their own. i do not buy the loyalty to employee, either they are reporters reporting news or they are not. anyone who is in court has friends who are loyal to them but that does not stop tipp fm from reporting their case/causing them shame /embarrassment. what right do they have to inflict that on others if they will be loyal to one of their own

all i know about tipp fm is from friends in clonmel who tell me of the "If it happens in Tipp,you will hear it on Tipp today ". and "we know everything in tipp etc" - actually they don't cos i have been told of of several things that happened right under their noses in tipp but that is another story. and smug is the word used as well as how they feel entitled to stick their noses into anyones life and say if something is in the public domain they can comment on it and so they can but why be selective. this story is in the public domainso are the listeners not entitled to have their noses their lives. it cuts both ways

So i was just asking why the double standard

plus they are obliged by their licence to report the news
    I just took that part from your post, as it is something that radio presenters /radio anoraks would really have an interest in.Most of the day to day listeners wouldnt care about the obligations or percentage of news that radio stations have to adhere to,so I am wondering if your interest is more than just a passing observation

plus they are obliged by their licence to report the news
    I just took that part from your post, as it is something that radio presenters /radio anoraks would really have an interest in.Most of the day to day listeners wouldnt care about the obligations or percentage of news that radio stations have to adhere to,so I am wondering if your interest is more than just a passing observation
    you made the point re pat kenny and RTE being funded by licence. Tipp FM are licenced too and one of their obligations is to report the news. that is a relevant news story and is local. why do they bother other people in court, isn't court stressful enough. someone told me there is something about an airfield being used in tipp that shouldn't be and they are talking about that. what is it to them?why should they interfere in others lives if they are not going to be fair in reporting
    If it happens in Tipp,you will hear it on Tipp today "
    less hearing it?
    http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/ireland/2010/1029/1224282233394.html

Have you considered getting in touch with Tipp Fm's head of news and asking the question? The point I was making about Pat Kenny is that you and I pay his wages,we dont pay the wages of any of the Tipp Fm presenters.

Have you considered getting in touch with Tipp Fm's head of news and asking the question? The point I was making about Pat Kenny is that you and I pay his wages,we dont pay the wages of any of the Tipp Fm presenters.
    i understand that but my point is,though they are a private enterprise, they have to have a licence and are obliged to report news as part of the licence.

after all if there was a licenced organisation in clonmel not living up to their licence who would be the first to feel an entitlement to get into it? and if they did not want to speak they would say it anyway

If were in court next week, -i'm not -!, and they reported on me i would not be very happy. that is my only point. in a way reporting on me could be seen as abuse of power

Under the licence regulations Tipp FM would be obliged to broadcast 20% news.The news editor would decide what was covered.As long as the 20% is covered ,they are not in breach of licence contract with the B.C.I.,because they didnt cover that particular story.

• Advertisement

Under the licence regulations Tipp FM would be obliged to broadcast 20% news.The news editor would decide what was covered.As long as the 20% is covered ,they are not in breach of licence contract with the B.C.I.,because they didnt cover that particular story.
    but why not

• Registered Users Posts: 24,317 ✭✭✭✭phog

it is not relevant to their lack of reporting it. they always report other cases where voilence is involved

How sure are you they cover all other case involving voilence?

but why not
    Thats a question you would have to put to the news editor at Tipp Fm.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 221 ✭✭TimmyTarmac

Public figure from Tipperary involved in incident in the County which goes to the Circuit Court - indicating the seriousness of the incident. That sounds like a no-brainer to me if I was the news editor.
    If it was a well known jockey, hurler or broadcaster with profile working for another media organisation, you'd be sure it'd be in the Tipp Fm news.
    I can see why they would want to help their colleague out, but it does the credibility of the De Valera owned (Irish Press plc), loss making station no favours.
    They are probably too busy making up a new gimpy poster campaign to asault our eyes with anyway.

Public figure from Tipperary involved in incident in the County which goes to the Circuit Court - indicating the seriousness of the incident. That sounds like a no-brainer to me if I was the news editor.
    If it was a well known jockey, hurler or broadcaster with profile working for another media organisation, you'd be sure it'd be in the Tipp Fm news.
    I can see why they would want to help their colleague out, but it does the credibility of the De Valera owned (Irish Press plc), loss making station no favours.
    They are probably too busy making up a new gimpy poster campaign to asault our eyes with anyway.
    +1. Loss making? they claim to be number 1 even though they lost 3.5% lol

Their daily lineup is very stale,bland,boring...Breakfast is a diaster

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20 Pat65

Norman Morrissey was acquitted on both charges today. The jury returned a unanimous verdict on both counts.

And yes, before anyone starts commenting, I do work for Tipp FM.

With regards to previous posts on the story not being covered as a news item while Deputy Mattie McGrath's was - I will try to explain as best I can the reason for this.

Two years ago when Deputy McGrath was in court Tipp FM's newsroom had more staff available to cover the story. With the current economic situation the station, along with nearly every other media outlet in the country, has had cutbacks.

Added to this, I myself was on annual leave last week which meant we literally did not have a journalist available to spend time in court. Someone has to be in studio to do the sixteen live news updates we broadcast each day.

A decision had been made prior to the case starting that whatever the verdict, the outcome would be aired.

Naturally, from my own point of view, I am pleased that a friend and work colleague has been cleared of the charges against him. However, tomorrow morning in my first bulletin at 6.30am I will be reporting the fact that Norman Morrissey has been acquitted - just as I would have if he had been found guilty.

And for what it's worth for those who feel we do not report on court cases which are "close to home" - Deputy McGrath is an uncle of former Tipp FM journalist Aoife McGrath.

Hopefully this goes some way to explaining the situation.

Pat.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 920 ✭✭✭Lenny Lovett

Pat65 wrote: »
    Norman Morrissey was acquitted on both charges today. The jury returned a unanimous verdict on both counts.

And yes, before anyone starts commenting, I do work for Tipp FM.

With regards to previous posts on the story not being covered as a news item while Deputy Mattie McGrath's was - I will try to explain as best I can the reason for this.

Two years ago when Deputy McGrath was in court Tipp FM's newsroom had more staff available to cover the story. With the current economic situation the station, along with nearly every other media outlet in the country, has had cutbacks.

Added to this, I myself was on annual leave last week which meant we literally did not have a journalist available to spend time in court. Someone has to be in studio to do the sixteen live news updates we broadcast each day.

A decision had been made prior to the case starting that whatever the verdict, the outcome would be aired.

Naturally, from my own point of view, I am pleased that a friend and work colleague has been cleared of the charges against him. However, tomorrow morning in my first bulletin at 6.30am I will be reporting the fact that Norman Morrissey has been acquitted - just as I would have if he had been found guilty.

And for what it's worth for those who feel we do not report on court cases which are "close to home" - Deputy McGrath is an uncle of former Tipp FM journalist Aoife McGrath.

Hopefully this goes some way to explaining the situation.

Pat.
    Sorry, but that's a pretty lame excuse. There were freelance Journalists in Court who could have given updates on your news bulletins. The Independent and The Times managed to get copy from the Court in Clonmel yet you guys couldn't? Give us credit for having some intelligence please.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20 Pat65

Sorry, but that's a pretty lame excuse.

It's the best excuse I can come up with - and do you know why?

Because it's the truth!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,881 ✭✭✭PhatPiggins

Pat65 wrote: »
    It's the best excuse I can come up with - and do you know why?

Because it's the truth!

I not overly concerned about your reasoning for not covering it but I am pleased that he was acquitted. Sounded like a lot of horse poo from what I've read,

Advertisement