Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Chris Hughton facing the chop?

• 28-10-2010 6:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,126 ✭✭✭

This is surely very harsh if they do sack him after all he has done for the club. Won Championship and promoted back to Premier League in first season and not doing too poorly this season will stay up IMO.

Apparantly bookies in england have even stopped taking bets on him being sacked!!And who would Newcastle bring in to replace him if he was to go?

Comments

Hodgson for Newcastle !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,134 ✭✭✭x in the city

woy...! :)

ding...beat me to it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,743 ✭✭✭Revolution9

http://blogs.bettor.com/Newcastle-United-opens-talks-with-Chris-Hughton-over-a-new-contract-a37191

Newcastle United opens talks with Chris Hughton over a new contract

Newcastle United has issued a club statement to confirm that contract negotiations with manager Chris Hughton have started.

It is thought that Newcastle has been forced into the position because of media speculation that linked the manager with a move away from the North East. However, this news shows that Hughton is committed to the Newcastle cause.

"It is difficult not to [be affected], we are all aware about what goes on television, what is shown on television but I cannot do anything about that, I can just do the best job possible," said Hughton.

There are many positive reasons for the club to keep Hughton on as the manager. However, the fact that he will increase in calibre as the club does well will not go away.

Good initiative

Newcastle is showing good initiative by coming out with such a clear statement of intent. Hughton has been at Newcastle United since 2008 and has guided the club through some difficult spells.

Hughton managed the team during a difficult Championship season in 2009-10. He got the team playing an attractive and free flowing style of football that ensured Premier League promotion became a formality.

The problem Newcastle faces is that Hughton's reputation has come a long way from the days when he was asked to fill in at the club as caretaker manager. This attracts the attention of bigger clubs that may be willing to tempt him away from Newcastle.

"We have had our ups and downs this season but the league table says we are doing okay. As far as I am concerned I am a strong character and you have to work around these situations, they are not nice but the problem with rumours is that there is always rumours until they are not anymore," added Hughton.

Betting advice

Newcastle United will still be in the Premier League at the end of the season. Hughton looks to be a very shrewd and clever manager that will not let the smallest of outside influences have any impact on his team.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,126 ✭✭✭talla10

Sky sports ran the story all night after the hammering by Arsenal last night. Dont know myself the origin of rumour but would be shocked if he was let go!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,463 ✭✭✭Kiwi_knock

Did it all not stem from rumours linking Joe Kinnear with a return to the club, would be crazy to get rid of him at this stage of the season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,605 ✭✭✭Fizman

This story was running yesterday, before the Arsenal game. Bookies (for some reason) did suspend betting. Newcastle came out today saying they intend having contract renegotiations at the end of the year with Hughton, who in turn came out and said he is very happy at the club.

If Newcastle were to get rid of a guy like Hughton, after what he has done in the last 18 months or so, they deserve to burn. And by burn I mean get relegated and generally fade into the realm of non-existence.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

talla10 wrote: »
    Sky sports ran the story all night after the hammering by Arsenal last night. Dont know myself the origin of rumour but would be shocked if he was let go!

They spoke about it at lenght before the game on soccer wednesday

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,337 ✭✭✭✭monkey9

It'd be a joke if he was sacked. But then again, they can just Shearer the Messiah back!! :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,161 ✭✭✭✭M5

This story has been running for weeks. The club have said they will be discussing a new contract at the end of the season. There was a load of tattle for 2/3 weeks before the announcement. Thought this one had been put to bed :confused:

This story originated in the usual source for this kind of nonsense. A journo who is well known by NUFC fans. He was barred from SJP for previous indiscretions and has been on a vendetta since. The whole story is nonsense.

As for the messiah thing, getting old at this stage. You cant judge any fan from the goons they interview on SSN......

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,337 ✭✭✭✭monkey9

M5 wrote: »
    This story has been running for weeks. The club have said they will be discussing a new contract at the end of the season. There was a load of tattle for 2/3 weeks before the announcement. Thought this one had been put to bed :confused:

I only heard this today!! :confused: Only going by the op

As a Newcastle fan yourself, are you happy with Hughton?

monkey9 wrote: »
    I only heard this today!! :confused: Only going by the op

As a Newcastle fan yourself, are you happy with Hughton?

Hes doing a great job with extremely limited resources. I dont know of one Newcastle fan who wants him out. The entire story is fabricated nonsense. No one in Newcastle will even speak to the "journalist" in question.

"Chris (Hughton) is our manager, and he'll remain our manager, and we will renegotiate his contract at the end of the year."

Funny thing is the story still re appears today from that same journalist, how the editor lets these stories out i'll never know:rolleyes:

"Chris (Hughton) is our manager, and he'll remain our manager, and we will renegotiate his contract at the end of the year."

Gone by saturday so. ye old chairmans backing.

dreamers75 wrote: »
    Gone by saturday so. ye old chairmans backing.

Aye, Sunderland on sunday, that match has cost a manager or two their job up there. Think Chris will start Carroll and Nolan though (if ya get me)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,622 ✭✭✭✭CSF

If he was to be sacked, they'd deserve compulsory relegation, will never happen though.

CSF wrote: »
    If he was to be sacked, they'd deserve compulsory relegation, will never happen though.

please explain.....

please explain.....
    Those who cannot learn from their mistakes, deserve to suffer the same again. If you couldn't understand that and think I was proposing a new FIFA rule, you're a few sandwiches short.

Those who cannot learn from their mistakes, deserve to suffer the same again. If you couldn't understand that and think I was proposing a new FIFA rule, you're a few sandwiches short.

Thanks for the smart ass reply! So a clubs fans should suffer for the acts of their chairmen? The majority of fans did not want Keegan x2, Robson sacked..... What then of Liverpool and Man U, they should surely "deserve" to be in league one then?

Thanks for the smart ass reply! So a clubs fans should suffer for the acts of their chairmen? The majority of fans did not want Keegan x2, Robson sacked..... What then of Liverpool and Man U, they should surely "deserve" to be in league one then?
    The fans of some club have to suffer the Championship either way. I think I'll gladly let it be the one who continually willingly self-implode. Granted I think we're talking about a null hypothetical but still. If theres an ounce of truth to this I hope Newcastle go back where Hughton brought them from.

• Advertisement

The fans of some club have to suffer the Championship either way. I think I'll gladly let it be the one who continually willingly self-implode. Granted I think we're talking about a null hypothetical but still. If theres an ounce of truth to this I hope Newcastle go back where Hughton brought them from.

I think being relegated once due to one mans blundering is quite enough for the fans of any club. To say that we deserve it again under any circumstances is more than a little harsh. Im not sure if you are aware of the catalog of monumental c*ck ups that were made in the relegation season by the Newcastle hierarchy. In a way I agree with your point. Lessons need to be learned. I would like to say that Hughton will 100% not be sacked. Im sure 99% of Newcastle fans would say the same, but its not us who make the decisions, but ultimately we bear a huge amount of the negative impact.

For example if: Gillette and Hicks hold on to Liverpool, RBS recalls debts, Liverpool docked 10 points, Relegated. I am by no means a fan of Liverpool but it would pain me to see them or anyone else going down in circumstances like that. Effectively thats what happened at Newcastle

.....but we digress

Effectively thats what happened at Newcastle

No its not, you were **** and got relegated. Thats what happened regardless of who owns Newcastle the disbelief in their fans that think they are a big club will always raise a chuckle with other clubs fans when they eh get relegated.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,553 ✭✭✭✭Dempsey

Never thought he was in danger of getting sacked considering that they are doing ok, no other club realistically looking to poach him and nobody touted as a replacement. All signs point to a period of instability for no good reason.

Newcastle would probably not renew his contract if he didnt keep them in the EPL though

Conspiracy Theory:

Was there any odds on him getting his contract renewed before christmas or something? Maybe the the media are trying to scam the bookies! :pac:

No its not, you were **** and got relegated. Thats what happened regardless of who owns Newcastle the disbelief in their fans that think they are a big club will always raise a chuckle with other clubs fans when they eh get relegated.

well illustrated point backed up with hard facts :rolleyes:

well done on making the connection between sh*t and getting relegated BTW, even though you completely missed the point......

• Registered Users Posts: 1,752 ✭✭✭markesmith

well illustrated point backed up with hard facts :rolleyes:

well done on making the connection between sh*t and getting relegated BTW, even though you completely missed the point......

Nothing against you or Newcastle fans M5, but I was glad to see Newcastle go down that season - the club was a model of instability, almost as bad as the Leeds saga. Allardyce, Kinnear and Shearer, none of them likeable fellows.

Plus you had players like Barton, Nolan, Steve "Shotgun Handball" Taylor, Dyer, Bowyer, Alan Smith etc etc playing for you or just departed.

Hughton's the man to take you forward. The Newcastle job's a poisoned chalice, and Hughton's doing a good job.

You'd be mad to fire him!

markesmith wrote: »
    Nothing against you or Newcastle fans M5, but I was glad to see Newcastle go down that season - the club was a model of instability, almost as bad as the Leeds saga. Allardyce, Kinnear and Shearer, none of them likeable fellows.

Plus you had players like Barton, Nolan, Steve "Shotgun Handball" Taylor, Dyer, Bowyer, Alan Smith etc etc playing for you or just departed.

Hughton's the man to take you forward. The Newcastle job's a poisoned chalice, and Hughton's doing a good job.

You'd be mad to fire him!

You are right, it was a shambles. Its the fans who suffer though, not the people pulling the strings. Liverpool has been a shambles recently, would you be happy to see them go down?

Ok dyer and Bowyer had long gone, the rest still play there. Some are integral part of the first team now. The rest were all first team last season.

I would say the likes of Michael "always injured except when England are playing" Owen were more to blame....

Last point: in 100% agreement

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

This thread has given me a chuckle.

Compulsory relegation. Fcuking LOL.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,605 ✭✭✭Fizman

You are right, it was a shambles. Its the fans who suffer though, not the people pulling the strings. Liverpool has been a shambles recently, would you be happy to see them go down?

This isn't a direct comparison to Liverpool though (imo). Liverpools previous owners/management have gotten the club into the hole they are in right now, and thankfully both are gone (I'm a fan btw). Hodgson isn't exactly lighting the place on fire, and he isn't talking a good game right now either.

Hughton on the other hand has done a fantastic job in the 18 months he is there. They are currently in 9th place ffs, far higher than a lot would have thought. Where I am coming from in terms of saying that the club deserve to get relegated if they got rid of Chris, is that they would be getting rid of someone who is generally doing very well for the club. Hughton always come across well in interviews, is very well spoken and is generally a very likeable guy to boot.

In my opinion, getting rid of him now would be utter stupidity of the highest order, and that level of stupidity by the owners should be rewarded with relegation.

Fizman wrote: »
    This isn't a direct comparison to Liverpool though (imo). Liverpools previous owners/management have gotten the club into the hole they are in right now, and thankfully both are gone (I'm a fan btw). Hodgson isn't exactly lighting the place on fire, and he isn't talking a good game right now either.

Hughton on the other hand has done a fantastic job in the 18 months he is there. They are currently in 9th place ffs, far higher than a lot would have thought. Where I am coming from in terms of saying that the club deserve to get relegated if they got rid of Chris, is that they would be getting rid of someone who is generally doing very well for the club. Hughton always come across well in interviews, is very well spoken and is generally a very likeable guy to boot.

In my opinion, getting rid of him now would be utter stupidity of the highest order, and that level of stupidity by the owners should be rewarded with relegation.

I was refering only to upper managment/owner. Of course the managment situation is completely different....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,920 ✭✭✭AnCapaillMor

Would'nt be one bit surprised if he was let go. If you look up "shot self in foot" on google images most of the pics would be of NUFC.

Would'nt be one bit surprised if he was let go. If you look up "shot self in foot" on google images most of the pics would be of NUFC.

Good one. Which rag did you get that from?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,752 ✭✭✭markesmith

Ok dyer and Bowyer had long gone, the rest still play there. Some are integral part of the first team now. The rest were all first team last season.

I would say the likes of Michael "always injured except when England are playing" Owen were more to blame....

Last point: in 100% agreement

Maybe I was a bit harsh in my previous post, M5. I actually don't mind NUFC this season, think Hughton's got a lot to do with that (I'm a Spurs fan :rolleyes:)

Regarding Liverpool, I think it'd be great to see them go down. I used to really like them - Dalglish and that - but they've got a right sense of entitlement about them these days

markesmith wrote: »
    Maybe I was a bit harsh in my previous post, M5. I actually don't mind NUFC this season, think Hughton's got a lot to do with that (I'm a Spurs fan :rolleyes:)

Regarding Liverpool, I think it'd be great to see them go down. I used to really like them - Dalglish and that - but they've got a right sense of entitlement about them these days

Only the barcodes, this stuffs happen to eh.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭Leiva

If Hughton gets the sack it would be a fcuking disgrace

50,000 screaming geordies made their feelings known today. Walking in a "Hughton wonderland" Hughton is a Geordie" and "there is only one....." heard at several stages today!

Heres hoping the powers that be were listening

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,591 ✭✭✭✭Aidric

monkey9 wrote: »
    It'd be a joke if he was sacked. But then again, they can just Shearer the Messiah back!! :rolleyes:

I enjoy watching Shearer squirm when the positives are rolled out for Hughton.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,957 ✭✭✭The Volt

What time is it in Newcastle?

Five past Sunderland.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,979 ✭✭✭Vurnon San Benito

Ridiculous to think these rumours even existed.!

The man is a very good manager. And this isn't the 5-1 demolition of Sunderland speaking.
    read any of the articles on my website and you'll know I'm a big fan of the man.
    He brought us from the pits, to where we are now.

Little financial support, some fantastic buys, and sweet tactics.

Am I the only one who has noticed that our passing style has improved immensely? We don't lose the ball half as much, Jonas is beginning to fire balls onto the CF's heads, our CB's are defending well. The transformation of Fabricio Coloccini? The emergence of an excellent, established Mike Williamson?
    The breakthrough of Jose Enrique, arguably one of the best LB's in the Premier League.
    Not to mention Andy Carroll's form, Shola's goals, and even Kevin Nolan's contribution to the team.

Huge chunk of that down to Chris Hughton, and stability. Indeed it was Chris Hughton who stabilised this club.

Nuff' said.

Rumouringly Hughton wants Kerr as his assistant but the club want Beardsely.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,920 ✭✭✭AnCapaillMor

Regardless of which one they get, either one will need a translator.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,498 ✭✭✭ironbluedun

they could do a lot worse than kerr.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,414 ✭✭✭kraggy

Would love to see the highlights of New-Sun.

I know there wasn't a premier soccer show last night, but in general, can you watch it on rte player?

Can't see this weeks one on it.

kraggy wrote: »
    Would love to see the highlights of New-Sun.

I know there wasn't a premier soccer show last night, but in general, can you watch it on rte player?

Can't see this weeks one on it.

http://www.101greatgoals.com/videodisplay/newcastle-sunderland-7387435/

Enjoy. I know I bloody well did.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,153 ✭✭✭everdead.ie

Rumouringly Hughton wants Kerr as his assistant but the club want Beardsely.
    Kerr would be a brilliant appointment i'm guessing Beardsley would be cheaper that's the only reason I can think of putting him firs. I'm delighted to see Houghton doing so well long may it last

Kerr would be a brilliant appointment i'm guessing Beardsley would be cheaper that's the only reason I can think of putting him firs. I'm delighted to see Houghton doing so well long may it last

Kerr did a great job with Ireland at underage level. The argument could be made that he may have been there at a good time. Im not convinced TBH....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,153 ✭✭✭everdead.ie

Kerr did a great job with Ireland at underage level. The argument could be made that he may have been there at a good time. Im not convinced TBH....
    Either way I vote we change the name of the thread to the Chris Houghton Appreciation thread :pac:

On Kerr he would be the assistant and I'd say he'd be good to have around the club

http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/2010/nov/01/newcastle-chris-hughton-support-players

Dont see why Kerr couldnt be assistant and Beardsley coach of somfin.

Advertisement