Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Help PLEASE! Desire vs Desire HD vs Nokia N8 vs Nokia E7

Options
  • 28-10-2010 7:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 174 ✭✭

Hey guys, I hope some of you might be able to help me with this decision :D

I'm on 3 & have been with them for a yr now & can't see myself moving at anytime soon, as I find them to be excellent value!

I had originally intended on getting the Desire during the summer, but the release kept being pushed back because of that bloody issue with the screens :mad: and now that it's finally available on 3, a few other phones have caught my eye.
    I've read all the reviews & feel even more confused than ever, so what I'm looking for in a phone is:

1) A good camera, especially for taking pics in low light on nights out
    2) A good video camera too, again, good enough for low light
    3) Good for social networking - love the idea of the Friend Stream in the Desire :D
    4) A screen with a decent resolution & that's also responsive (had the LG Arena at one stage & it drove me crackers!)
    5) Good battery that doesn't require to be charged EVERY single night (again Arena!) - every 2nd night is ok
    6) A decent browser would be nice, but isn't too important as I'll be installing Opera on it anyway

Can't think of anything else. Thanks in advance guys :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,797 ✭✭✭ChopShop

5) Good battery that doesn't require to be charged EVERY single night (again Arena!) - every 2nd night is ok

Well that's the Desire HD out of the running. Maybe the Desire too. Unless you're a very light phone user.

...as for the E7 and N8, reviews of Symbian 3 have been pretty scathing IIRC.

Out of the 4 models listed, you're not going to get everything you're looking for.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,234 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

Galaxy S? Falls down on night time camera shots but excellent at everything else. Comes with free sky sports, 1,2,3 and Sky News for 12mts.
    It's the lightest of the smart phones on 3 and has the best screen, iphone 4 looks washed out in comparison.
    Desire feels brick like when your holding the 2 together.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,742 ✭✭✭Bluefoam

Galaxy is made from recycled bin liners. If you like the feel of cheap plastic, buy one of these. BTW, no.camera flash.

Bluefoam wrote: »
    Galaxy is made from recycled bin liners. If you like the feel of cheap plastic, buy one of these. BTW, no.camera flash.

It feels the best to use, it's lightweight and falls apart nicely when you drop it rather than smashing, It's sars rating is the best of the smart phones, The video recoding is excellent in day time, picture perfect on my 42inch plasma using TV out.

I think your way to hard on the Galaxy, it's pretty obvious you don't have one:P

• Registered Users Posts: 6,277 ✭✭✭evolutionqy7

It feels the best to use, it's lightweight and falls apart nicely when you drop it rather than smashing, It's sars rating is the best of the smart phones, The video recoding is excellent in day time, picture perfect on my 42inch plasma using TV out.

I think your way to hard on the Galaxy, it's pretty obvious you don't have one:P

right right lets not go off topic :)

OP...any decent smartphone will barely ever last you more than a day with average use...it wont even last you a full day the first few weeks till the battery lives out its potential and the messing around stops.

Go for the desire is my call. Since pixelation is your concern Desire HD has the same resolution as the desire making certain stuff a bit stretched out since all android phones have same resolution the bigger the display gets the worse it gets (its not bad, but not as nice as on a smaller screen)

I always carry around a spare battery (their only a tenner or so on ebay) :) Just in case anyway

• Advertisement

Your only saying that because you have one, Where does the current Desire trumph the Galaxy????
    The desire HD is a monster of a phone, might be a little 2 big for a lot of people, Personally I think it's 2 big and the battery sucks.

I don't owe one and i don't say it does "triumph" over Galaxy :) both have advantages and disadvantages to suit every persons needs.

I read/seen a lot of reviews as well as being familiar with most phones and just expressing my opinion :)

OP didn't even mention Galaxy in his choice so i didn't go near it.

Desire HD is a monster of a phone but not huge :) it would snug in an average mans hand no problem the same way my HTC HD2 does for me :) i never had holding problems with it or not feeling comfortable in my pocket :)

• Registered Users Posts: 970 ✭✭✭dr ro

the processor on n8 is less battery intensive as is the screen. Combine that with the best camera and the best flash and your opera browser and you have your answer.

Not true. When I had my n97 it was just as a power hungry vamp as a 1ghz processor was.
    Just the reason why I moved away from Nokia cause they got **** in smartphones. Looking at reviews of the N8, its an improvement but their still miles behind. Still too ****ing laggy
    dr ro wrote: »
    the processor on n8 is less battery intensive as is the screen. Combine that with the best camera and the best flash and your opera browser and you have your answer.

• Registered Users Posts: 174 ✭✭Maental2000

right right lets not go off topic :)

OP...any decent smartphone will barely ever last you more than a day with average use...it wont even last you a full day the first few weeks till the battery lives out its potential and the messing around stops.

Go for the desire is my call. Since pixelation is your concern Desire HD has the same resolution as the desire making certain stuff a bit stretched out since all android phones have same resolution the bigger the display gets the worse it gets (its not bad, but not as nice as on a smaller screen)

I always carry around a spare battery (their only a tenner or so on ebay) :) Just in case anyway

Well, if it's not a whole big difference then it wouldn't put me off getting the Desire HD over the Desire....is the Desire good for taking pics in low light?
    I like the idea of getting a spare battery....are you able to charge it externally or how do you do it?

• Advertisement

Galaxy S? Falls down on night time camera shots but excellent at everything else. Comes with free sky sports, 1,2,3 and Sky News for 12mts.
    It's the lightest of the smart phones on 3 and has the best screen, iphone 4 looks washed out in comparison.
    Desire feels brick like when your holding the 2 together.
    Bluefoam wrote: »
    I don't owe one and i don't say it does "triumph" over Galaxy :) both have advantages and disadvantages to suit every persons needs.

I read/seen a lot of reviews as well as being familiar with most phones and just expressing my opinion :)

OP didn't even mention Galaxy in his choice so i didn't go near it.

Desire HD is a monster of a phone but not huge :) it would snug in an average mans hand no problem the same way my HTC HD2 does for me :) i never had holding problems with it or not feeling comfortable in my pocket :)

Not interested in Samsung, as I had a lousy experience with my Wave a few months back....great features, excellent camera but the browser was schizophrenic, it only worked whenever it felt like it!:mad: Then friends started telling me Samsung are a rubbish phone in their experiences (couldn't they have told me that beforehand?! LOL!) So I returned it within the 14 days.
    Besides, if the camera doesn't have a flash, I'm definitely not interested. I can't imagine why anybody would fork out so much money for a phone without any flash on the camera at all :(

dr ro wrote: »

I'm fairly tempted to go down the Nokia route alright and I'd be able to go on a 12 month contract if I wanted instead of those seriously irritating Anglo-American convoluted 18 month ones ggrrrrrrr!!! :mad::mad:
    Do you happen to know if there is a symbian version of eirtext/cabbage, where you can use your webtexts as normal ones?

There's a java app of cabbage. it should work with Nokia. Never tried it though

There's a java app of cabbage. it should work with Nokia. Never tried it though

Oh right, cool. I'm not really up on all this...how would I download it?

its on the developers website.
    on my phone now :) too much effort to find the thread. i had it downloaded before but never tested it.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,919 ✭✭✭✭Mimikyu

This post has been deleted.

Cheers guys, downloaded it. Works like a dream, eventhough I don't need it at the moment cos I'm on 3 pay with free texts to everyone :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,371 ✭✭✭lolie

does it work on the nokia n8

in theory it should work with any phone since its a java based application

lolie wrote: »
    does it work on the nokia n8

It's working perfect on my e63, so I can't see why it wouldn't work on the n8.

• Advertisement

emobile rekon their launching webtexts this week so im wondering would the current cabbage work or would a new application need to be made? works perfect on me sisters nok n86 on o2 with wi-fi at home

• Registered Users Posts: 18,919 ✭✭✭✭Mimikyu

• Registered Users Posts: 1,432 ✭✭✭vasch_ro

have used cabbage with N95 successfully

whos sam and how would one ask him about it:)

• Registered Users Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

lolie wrote: »
    whos sam and how would one ask him about it:)

Sam is the maker of the program. You already posted the question in the thread with all related questions:> http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055165333, just give him a bit more time to reply.

It wont work straight away I would imagine, but he might male the necessary changes if you ask him nicely :)

cheers

Advertisement