Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lecturer's

• 28-10-2010 7:53pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 891 ✭✭✭

Not going to say any names, but am i the only one who thinks a fair few of them are quite s-h-i-t at what they do.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,045 ✭✭✭deaglan169

6 years ago i was in carlow for first time and found the lecturers brilliant, i left and returned 2 years ago and most of the older lecturers had retired, and the replacements were brutal with super big egos

• Closed Accounts Posts: 542 ✭✭✭ILA

Mak_United wrote: »
    Not going to say any names, but am i the only one who thinks a fair few of them are quite s-h-i-t at what they do.
    Some of them are pretty crap. I have to say I'm disappointed by a lot fo them though and the college experience in general. It feels way too much like secondary school all over :cool:

you should go to TI. then youll see rubbish lecturers. youll be glad of carlow

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,980 ✭✭✭Kevster

I have studied/researched in universities and colleges in the UK and the Irish republic. I can assure you that the lecturers at IT Carlow are amongst the best that I have had. However, you - as the student - cannot expect them to do everything for you, by the way.

Kevin

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,254 ✭✭✭✭MrStuffins

Let me guess......... you're not studying English?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭ViP3r

Like any institution you will find a few dodgy apples. They're by no means the worst and don't bear any reflection on the others.

All I'll say is my lecturers are nothing short of amazing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,034 ✭✭✭Ficheall

MrStuffins wrote: »
    Let me guess......... you're not studying English?

Well, he could be - the lecturers are "quite s-h-i-t", remember...
    Illiteracy would only serve to enforce his point.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,254 ✭✭✭✭MrStuffins

Ficheall wrote: »
    Well, he could be - the lecturers are "quite s-h-i-t", remember...
    Illiteracy would only serve to enforce his point.

Perhaps, if the lecturers there were also his primary school "teacher's" :p

• Registered Users Posts: 541 ✭✭✭David09

Sorry but I have to agree with the op. I spent a year there studying engineering and had to transfer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,458 ✭✭✭RedXIV

I was there and ok some weren't fantastic but I had some that genuinely were inspiring. One in particular is responsible for me passing in the end but even when I was convinced I was a lost cause, I can think of 4 off the top of my head that constantly told me I was capable of the work. I passed in the end (by the skin of my teeth) but I'm glad at least that I didn't disappoint them

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,442 ✭✭✭MickShamrock

The majority of the lecturers are decent.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 891 ✭✭✭MakaDonVeli

Im doing computing, not english.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32 gaytony

lol did my post get deleted?
    anyway there is some great and truly inspiring lecturers there and some dreadful ones , in particular one of the worst was my programming lecturer(see, didn't use his name , and there is 4 programming lecturers) , although he knew c++/java inside out he was totally useless at teaching it , his lectures consisted of him racing through his notes leaving the whole lecture hall confused and the practical classes consisted of him reading internet forums and getting miffed if someone called him down to a pc to ask him a question:pac:
    on the other hand my maths lecturer was one of the best i ever encountered
    a truly passionate person about the subject and teaching and he explained maths in a way that was fun and easy to digest.
    compared to some of the other university/colleges i attended Itcarlow is very good.

• Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭gorilla_ie

gaytony wrote: »
    anyway there is some great and truly inspiring lecturers there and some dreadful ones , in particular one of the worst was my programming lecturer(see, didn't use his name , and there is 4 programming lecturers) , although he knew c++/java inside out he was totally useless at teaching it , his lectures consisted of him racing through his notes leaving the whole lecture hall confused and the practical classes consisted of him reading internet forums and getting miffed if someone called him down to a pc to ask him a question:pac:
    a truly passionate person about the subject and teaching and he explained maths in a way that was fun and easy to digest.
    compared to some of the other university/colleges i attended Itcarlow is very good.

i think i agree with you there and i can understand who you are talking about ... the programming lecturer says he does not have an ego when he clearly does..

Its a pity that most students are relying on the retention centre to get through programming and not the lectures itself... its a joke really !!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,987 ✭✭✭JohnMc1

I think I know that Programming teacher you're talking about. I think I know that Math teacher as well. He was the one we all went to when our regular Math teacher kept teaching us wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 19 pobble

i think with every course you will get bad lecturers. with carlow being small enough as colleges go, if you put in the work there will always be someone willing to help. whether that is another lecturer, or go to the su and they will help you find someone

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 84,645 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

You're surely not talking about the Perl wiz extraordinaire with a strange fascination with the integer known as Fred are you?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22 Nolaner

Ah the lecturers are all right chris :P Cut them some slack :P just the odd one or two that cant even answer your questions are the annoyign ones :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 736 ✭✭✭Doff

Piss myself laughing at this thread because I know exactly who almost everyone is talking about lol. Correct, Agreed?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement