Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Clothing grants when pregnant - Mod note post 40

Options
  • 28-10-2010 9:17pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 116 ✭✭

Hi all

Was just wondering does anyone know how many clothing grants your entitled to when pregnant ??

I got one already when i was 3 months and now im 6 months and bulging out of all my clothes....

Am i entitled to another one ??? :confused::confused:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,694 ✭✭✭thesimpsons

are you serious ? you can get grants for clothing ? whats wrong with extra large sizes from P*nnys/D*nnes that most women I know make do with.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 116 ✭✭kirstyor123

You have some cheek you know that!!!

Yes i may be on social welfare but i have been looking for a job even though i am pregnant..
    I have been at interviews but didnt get the job because im showing and the interviewer obviously seen this.. and i still havent given up im still applying for jobs and have been working since im 13!!!

You should think twice before you judge people :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,694 ✭✭✭thesimpsons

I wasn't particularly getting at you I'm just gobsmacked that there is even an entitlement to maternity clothes even as a once off never mind a possible second payment. To me it ranks up there with the Back to School allowance for 2 yr old - just total madness.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,160 ✭✭✭Callan57

Is that what all the Clothing Banks are for?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,585 ✭✭✭lynski

I cant see anything specific on welfare.ie, maybe it was an exceptional need grant?

• Advertisement

That post wasnt meant for you it was meant for the other post..( how rude )

And yes you do get one or two payments for clothes if you are pregnant believe it or not..
    And yes penneys and dunnes would be all i can afford but living on social welfare and trying to pay my rent is HARD!! especially when your growing out of the clothes you have just bought a few weeks ago, and no i dont get rent allowance so i pay a good sum out of what i get to my landlord...

Sorry if im coming across as psycho here but people not on social that look there nose down on people who are just sickens me

Lynski

I tried there website it doesnt tell you but thank you for taking the time to check i appreciate it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 111 ✭✭Jakob

You go get your clothes. Haters gonna hate. They're just jealous that they're not pregnant and can't get free clothes.

• Registered Users Posts: 509 ✭✭✭anndub

I was on social welfare until recently so I cant be accused of looking down my nose at anyone, however getting pregnant when you have no means to support a child is careless. There is no way i would have considered having a child when I was unemployed. I agree with the above, this is an example of everything worng with the country. There is no way anyone can justify finding themselves in your situation.

Thanks Jakob :D

At least there is some people on this that are not complete robots :p

• Advertisement

Oh get a grip anndub will you seriously!!!!

My pregnancy was not planned and yes i may be on social welfare but i dont intend to be for long, i am still going for interviews thank you very much and will defo go back to work when my baby arrives.

Im not whats wrong with this country you are!! people like you make me sick:eek:

anndub wrote: »
    I was on social welfare until recently so I cant be accused of looking down my nose at anyone, however getting pregnant when you have no means to support a child is careless. There is no way i would have considered having a child when I was unemployed. I agree with the above, this is an example of everything worng with the country. There is no way anyone can justify finding themselves in your situation.
    Lucky you that you could wait and could have a choice, but dont judge others.
    What about someone who has been trying for years? someone who is getting on? you suggesting that if you are on sw you should also be on long-term contraception?
    That is crazy. You have to get on with your life and make your life happen for you and hope and hope that things improve. But the situation we are in right now the country not only needs more children for the future, people could be unemployed a long long time before things improve, should they also forgo their happiness?

lynski wrote: »
    Lucky you that you could wait and could have a choice, but dont judge others.
    What about someone who has been trying for years? someone who is getting on? you suggesting that if you are on sw you should also be on long-term contraception?
    That is crazy. You have to get on with your life and make your life happen for you and hope and hope that things improve. But the situation we are in right now the country not only needs more children for the future, people could be unemployed a long long time before things improve, should they also forgo their happiness?

Exactly!! She basically just said that people on social welfare shouldnt have children because we cant support them!! thats RUBBISH!! ( also quite hurtful )
    Its bad enough having a baby on the way and worrying about money than having to look at comments like that!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,561 ✭✭✭rickyjb

The last thing the country needs at the moment is more children with no means to support them bar hand outs from the government. If you don't have the means to support a child then you shouldn't be bringing one into the world, end of story.

I think you may have slightly misunderstood the tone of Jakob's comment above by the way...:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 28,193 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

It's not a pregnancy clothing grant, it's a clothing grant it can be given to people who look really poor, obese, pregnant etc. Your best go down to you social welfare officer and ask them for it and look pretty bad when you do, leave the lulu bag at home. ;)
    They can give you money for other stuff as well, I know people who've got new furniture, fridges, cars servies etc.

It's a pointless argument going on here, neither will see the other sides argument, I think the SW system is wrong but not when it comes to mammy's.

rickyjb wrote: »
    The last thing the country needs at the moment is more children with no means to support them bar hand outs from the government. If you don't have the means to support a child then you shouldn't be bringing one into the world, end of story.

I think you may have slightly misunderstood the tone of Jakob's comment above by the way...:rolleyes:

How can you say not to bring a baby into the world, sometimes it just happens it is not planned!! and fyi i will not be getting hands out from the goverment i will go back to work after baby is born:cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,226 ✭✭✭angelfire9

I am now unemployed :(
    Contract expired in April am due in December so I was pregnant before I was laid off
    I am buying size 16 clothes in Dunnes & Penneys (i'm normally size 12-14) :( though i got a nice maxi dress on sale in A-wear today for €8 :D

I didn't know there was a clothing allowance for pregnancy
    I can't claim rent allowance cos we have a mortgage and can't get mortgage relief cos the hubby works so we've lost €30k worth of salary and are struggling to get by
    I'd be mortified asking DSCFA for clothes for pregnancy to be honest

I'll survive on Penneys cheapest for the next 7/8 weeks

Roll on Christmas and my own jeans again!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,561 ✭✭✭rickyjb

angelfire9 wrote: »
    I am now unemployed :(
    Contract expired in April am due in December so I was pregnant before I was laid off
    I am buying size 16 clothes in Dunnes & Penneys (i'm normally size 12-14) :( though i got a nice maxi dress on sale in A-wear today for €8 :D

I didn't know there was a clothing allowance for pregnancy
    I can't claim rent allowance cos we have a mortgage and can't get mortgage relief cos the hubby works so we've lost €30k worth of salary and are struggling to get by
    I'd be mortified asking DSCFA for clothes for pregnancy to be honest

I'll survive on Penneys cheapest for the next 7/8 weeks

Roll on Christmas and my own jeans again!

You should tell your husband to quit his job too you'll be eligible for all sorts of payments....:)

rickyjb wrote: »

You are actually wrong there. Falling birthrates in the 80s and 90s mean that we are going to need people in the workforce in 20 yrs time when the number of over 65s will increase and we will need the tax revenue to maintain the country
    http://www.ncpp.ie/inside.asp?catid=280&zoneId=2
    Anyway since when did economic status mean you could not have children? what is the salary level you think people should start at? and how much more should they be earning before they are allowed to have another? and how much more for no 3? Do both parents have to be working or is one salary enough? Maybe you should have to wait until you are at supervisory level? and be at management level for the third or fourth?
    Get a grip

• Registered Users Posts: 509 ✭✭✭anndub

How can you say not to bring a baby into the world, sometimes it just happens it is not planned!! and fyi i will not be getting hands out from the goverment i will go back to work after baby is born:cool:

Maybe you haven't heard but were in the midst of a recession that we'll probably still be recovering from when your child is old enough to look for employment...............so best of luck with the job hunting.

• Advertisement

Maybe you haven't heard but were in the midst of a recession that we'll probably still be recovering from when you're child is old enough to look for employment...............so best of luck with the job hunting.

I have actually got quite a number of interviews :D
    Obviously didnt get the job because im showing but i dont care im still trying and will still continue to look when baby is born ( ill have no bump so better chance in one of them actually giving me a job lol )

• Closed Accounts Posts: 111 ✭✭Jakob

With respect rickyjb, I don't think she did misunderstand the tone of my post, I was being genuine, although I can see that what I said could be seen as sarcastic or some other word I can't think of right now.

BTW I am on my 3rd pg and I am currently unemployed. I have hardly bought myself anything in months, am lucky enough to be getting by with my pre-pg clothes, my old bump bands, a few charity shop finds and some hand-me-downs.
    I am not too fussy at this stage anyway because with 2 smallies I don't have the time to be fashion conscious.
    My mom has bought be a couple of tops as gifts and is promising me a dress for christmas, so i guess i will have to get by on that.

Maybe you haven't heard but were in the midst of a recession that we'll probably still be recovering from when your child is old enough to look for employment.......... .....so best of luck with the job hunting.
    wow could you be nastier?

lynski wrote: »
    BTW I am on my 3rd pg and I am currently unemployed. I have hardly bought myself anything in months, am lucky enough to be getting by with my pre-pg clothes, my old bump bands, a few charity shop finds and some hand-me-downs.
    I am not too fussy at this stage anyway because with 2 smallies I don't have the time to be fashion conscious.
    My mom has bought be a couple of tops as gifts and is promising me a dress for christmas, so i guess i will have to get by on that.

If your pregnant and need clothes go get them off the social welfare lynski.

They give you a €150.00 for clothes which in penneys goes a long way lol
    Go get what your entitled to :D

thanks but with oh working we are usually excluded from most grants etc.
    Cant actually remember when i last had 150e to spend on clothes for my... wow

• Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭nick 56

I don’t think it is fair or sane to blame this young lady or her unborn child for the countries state.

Did she work in government, is her name macreavey, did she run a bank, did she borrow millions ?

The people to blame are those who voted FF at the last election and for years and now haven’t the courage to drive them out.

All we can do is snap and snarl at the weakest in our benighted society ---- what a bunch of cowards we have become

nick 56 wrote: »
    I don’t think it is fair or sane to blame this young lady or her unborn child for the countries state.

Did she work in government, is her name macreavey, did she run a bank, did she borrow millions ?

The people to blame are those who voted FF at the last election and for years and now haven’t the courage to drive them out.

All we can do is snap and snarl at the weakest in our benighted society ---- what a bunch of cowards we have become

Some people can be so hurtful...
    They say these things to make you feel your doing something wrong...

I dont think you should check your bank balance before considering wether or not to bring a life into this world and seeing your comment somewhat makes me feel better knowing there are decent people out there even if there are very very few :o

• Registered Users Posts: 3,937 ✭✭✭implausible

I'm gobsmacked! I know the state is quite good to women and babies - free doctors' appointments for mother and baby from confirmation of pregnancy until baby is 6 weeks and free hospital stay for all, a very generous grant for equipment for some and the possibility of a free house and payments until the child is 16 for others, but free pregnancy clothing?!!!!:eek:

I'm not getting at you OP, I had just never heard of this payment. I know everyone's situation is different but it's no wonder that some teenage girls regard it as a career option:rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 82,685 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

I am fairly sure you are talking ****e about clothing grants when pregnant in the same way people say refugees get cheques from the social to buy cars with, if it is true I hope this country sinks to the fiscal lows of Albania, is taken over by the IMF and is left as uninhabitable as the wastelands of Chernobyl for the remainder of my life.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement