Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Clothing grants when pregnant - Mod note post 40

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 116 ✭✭kirstyor123

deemark wrote: »
    I'm gobsmacked! I know the state is quite good to women and babies - free doctors' appointments for mother and baby from confirmation of pregnancy until baby is 6 weeks and free hospital stay for all, a very generous grant for equipment for some and the possibility of a free house and payments until the child is 16 for others, but free pregnancy clothing?!!!!:eek:

I'm not getting at you OP, I had just never heard of this payment. I know everyone's situation is different but it's no wonder that some teenage girls regard it as a career option:rolleyes:

Ha ha believe it or not yes you do get pregnancy clothing, its only a once off of 150.00 so dont be too gobsmacked lol

• Registered Users Posts: 1,585 ✭✭✭lynski

I'm gobsmacked! I know the state is quite good to women and babies - free doctors' appointments for mother and baby from confirmation of pregnancy until baby is 6 weeks and free hospital stay for all, a very generous grant for equipment for some and the possibility of a free house and payments until the child is 16 for others, but free pregnancy clothing?!!!!:eek:
    :

Free doc apps = a specific no of apps only and only pg related - go in with the flu and u pay, i have always paid for the confirmation app btw and many docs are the same.

I am fairly sure you are talking ****e about clothing grants when pregnant in the same way people say refugees get cheques from the social to buy cars with, if it is true I hope this country sinks to the fiscal lows of Albania, is taken over by the IMF and is left as uninhabitable as the wastelands of Chernobyl for the remainder of my life.

Its not ****e you do get a clothing grant when pregnant, i did :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,937 ✭✭✭implausible

lynski wrote: »
    Free doc apps = a specific no of apps only and only pg related - go in with the flu and u pay, i have always paid for the confirmation app btw and many docs are the same.

It's more or less free; I haven't paid to see a doc in a year and that includes the confirmation appointment. Mind you, I've been lucky and neither babs or I have had any need of the GP other than routine checks. (crossing fingers)

I nearly crashed my car a few months ago when I saw a 19 year old student of mine pushing an iCandy:eek: While I agree with supporting mothers, the system can be too generous and financially incentivise motherhood above completing education or getting a job.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,617 ✭✭✭Cat Melodeon

anndub wrote: »
    I was on social welfare until recently so I cant be accused of looking down my nose at anyone, however getting pregnant when you have no means to support a child is careless. There is no way i would have considered having a child when I was unemployed. I agree with the above, this is an example of everything worng with the country. There is no way anyone can justify finding themselves in your situation.

Dear god woman, judgemental much??

How one woman's pregnancy in less than ideal circumstances can represent all that is wrong with this country suggests that you understand very little about what is wrong with the country. Look up the ladder, not down and you might have more of a chance of spotting a scapegoat. Til then, lay off the holier than thou crapology, the girl is pregnant and enquiring about her welfare entitlements, not out murdering puppies or bankrolling corrupt developers.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,617 ✭✭✭Cat Melodeon

I nearly crashed my car a few months ago when I saw a 19 year old student of mine pushing an iCandy:eek: While I agree with supporting mothers, the system can be too generous and financially incentivise motherhood above completing education or getting a job.

Ever consider said student might have generous parents/family, or a boyfriend capable of supporting her?

The financial incentives are very rarely a pull factor into motherhood, more likely it's a lack of education, disrupted childhood etc.

And in any case, babies born to teenage mothers only make up 2.8% of all births in Ireland, with the average age of first-time mothers being 29. Hardly a career move for most then, and hardly going to bankrupt the country.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,937 ✭✭✭implausible

Ever consider said student might have generous parents/family, or a boyfriend capable of supporting her?

The financial incentives are very rarely a pull factor into motherhood, more likely it's a lack of education, disrupted childhood etc.

And in any case, babies born to teenage mothers only make up 2.8% of all births in Ireland, with the average age of first-time mothers being 29. Hardly a career move for most then, and hardly going to bankrupt the country.

Absolutely not. I work in a DEIS school, where over 80% of students are medical card holders. The girl is not an Irish national, boyfriend and parents are all out of work and her younger sister is now pregnant too. The lack of education is a factor, but it's not just a cause, it's a consequence. I've lost track of the amount of students whose career plan is "going on the dole" and this is from when they come in in 1st year.

I'm not saying it's a career plan for all or that every young mum is bankrupting the country and I know it's a small percentage, but there is a definite incentive there for young women. When they see the gear the young mother has, the status (although temporary) and eventually the new gaff, other young women see it as something to aspire to.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,451 ✭✭✭Delancey

Some of the comments in this thread are absolutely vile.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,485 ✭✭✭✭Khannie

delancey42 wrote: »
    Some of the comments in this thread are absolutely vile.

Strongly agree with this.

Let me be very clear here people: The OP did not ask for, and is not interested in your social commentary. Anyone passing judgement from this point on will be banned.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,339 ✭✭✭How Strange

Hi all

Was just wondering does anyone know how many clothing grants your entitled to when pregnant ??

I got one already when i was 3 months and now im 6 months and bulging out of all my clothes....

Am i entitled to another one ??? :confused::confused:
    To answer your original question I'd imagine that was a one off payment and I doubt they will give you another. These payments are most probably discretionary and are dependent on the social welfare employee you interact with at the time.

My sister had to go to social welfare some years ago with two little kids in tow and she got absolutely nothing from them regardless of how much she begged and pleaded.

I just bought myself one pair of jeans in h&m and about 3 ordinary h&m tops in larger sizes and I've resigned myself to wearing them to death until the end of Jan because I don't want to spend a lot of money on maternity clothes for the sake of 3 or 4 months.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

e-bay is really good for maternity clothes too.

Out of curiosity -
    If you got a grant for maternity clothes already did you not spend it on maternity clothes why do you need more?

When are you due?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,561 ✭✭✭rickyjb

lynski wrote: »
    You are actually wrong there. Falling birthrates in the 80s and 90s mean that we are going to need people in the workforce in 20 yrs time when the number of over 65s will increase and we will need the tax revenue to maintain the country

You can genuinely forsee a situation developing in this country where the problem is that we have too many jobs and not enough people to fill them? Have you seen the live register lately??

I think you are the one who needs to get a grip.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

Civil posting is expected in this forum, this forum has an ethos of supporting posters.
    If you can not post in a manner which reflects this then don't bother posting

• Registered Users Posts: 3,041 ✭✭✭Penny Dreadful

Some people can be so hurtful...
    They say these things to make you feel your doing something wrong...

I dont think you should check your bank balance before considering wether or not to bring a life into this world and seeing your comment somewhat makes me feel better knowing there are decent people out there even if there are very very few :o

Really? I would be of the opinion that it is very irresponsible to bring a life into this world if you are not sure that you can provide for that life. If you have a child you should be able to support it. That is not having a go at you personally OP or your question re: grant for clothes. It was a separate and slightly OT question I suppose.
    As with others I am flabbergasted that such a grant exists in the first place but would suggest going to the CIB to ask about a second payment.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,484 ✭✭✭username123

On a more practical note though - have you tried the local StVdP shops and maybe check on places like http://www.freetradeireland.ie/

You might even be able to pick up things like a buggy, cot etc...for free on that site - its well worth a look.

When my sis in law was pregnant she got a large black elasticated belt type thing that went round the bump - to wear under clothes so that bump was always covered, it meant she could wear a lot of her non maternity clothes but be covered up - Im not sure what the name of it was.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

The payment like the buggy/cot payment comes under exceptional needs payments.
    http://www.citizensinformation.ie/categories/birth-family-relationships/benefits-and-entitlements-relating-to-birth

"Social assistance

If you are a medical card holder you are entitled to a Maternity Cash Grant from the Health Service Executive on the birth of your child.

If your income is insufficient to meet the costs associated with your baby you may be able to apply for an Exceptional Needs Payment from the Community Welfare Officer.

If you are parenting alone you may be entitled to the One Parent Family Payment which is a means-tested payment from the Department of Social Protection. You can receive Maternity Benefit at a reduced rate, if you are getting One Parent Family Payment."

Exceptional needs payments -
    http://www.citizensinformation.ie/categories/social-welfare/social-welfare-payments/supplementary-welfare-schemes/exceptional_needs_payments

The maternity cash grant for medical card holders is f €10.16 on the birth of each child.

• Registered Users Posts: 229 ✭✭Butterflylove

When my sis in law was pregnant she got a large black elasticated belt type thing that went round the bump - to wear under clothes so that bump was always covered, it meant she could wear a lot of her non maternity clothes but be covered up - Im not sure what the name of it was.

Ive seen these on the N*wlook website, fairly cheap for a set of three.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 945 ✭✭✭Squiggler

€150 seems like plenty for the full 9 months to me.

I haven't spent that much on Maternity clothes yet and I bought overbump work trousers (2 pairs) and jeans (2 pairs) as well as a couple of nice maternity tops that I can wear for work. A lot of my pre-pregnancy clothes are still fine (t-shirts and sweatshirts, tunic tops and even some of my dresses that had higher waistlines).

My sister was also able to pass on some of her maternity clothes, so now I'm wondering if I bought too many pairs of trousers. Her pregnancies were during the Summer so I'll still need a few more tops for work.

I work, so I don't have the time or energy to go to charity shops, but if I was unemployed they would have been my first port of call. They are goldmines and you could fill a wardrobe for €150.

Too late to give you that advice now I guess, if the money has already been spent in Pennys, but it might still be worth your while talking to friends and family who've had children recently and seeing if they are willing to give or lend you some of their maternity clothes if they still have them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,561 ✭✭✭rickyjb

Hi all

Was just wondering does anyone know how many clothing grants your entitled to when pregnant ??

I got one already when i was 3 months and now im 6 months and bulging out of all my clothes....

Am i entitled to another one ??? :confused::confused:

I'm no expert on maternity wear but I would have imagined the whole point was that you buy clothes that allow for expansion, hence you should be able to use them (the maternity wear) throughout the entire pregnancy?
    Maybe I'm wrong on this...

• Registered Users Posts: 37,485 ✭✭✭✭Khannie

Really? I would be of the opinion that it is very irresponsible to bring a life into this world if you are not sure that you can provide for that life. If you have a child you should be able to support it. That is not having a go at you personally OP or your question re: grant for clothes. It was a separate and slightly OT question I suppose.
    As with others I am flabbergasted that such a grant exists in the first place but would suggest going to the CIB to ask about a second payment.

You were warned. Now you can take a break.

THERE IS TO BE NO FURTHER, OFF TOPIC, SOCIAL COMMENTARY IN THIS THREAD.

• Advertisement
  • Hosted Moderators Posts: 10,661 ✭✭✭✭John Mason

op, as far as i know you a payment at 3 months, 6 months, and again after the baby is born.

this may have changed but you should go and see your welfare officer.

i think there is additional payment for winter coats and shoes as well

irishbird wrote: »
    op, as far as i know you a payment at 3 months, 6 months, and again after the baby is born.

this may have changed but you should go and see your welfare officer.

i think there is additional payment for winter coats and shoes as well

Thank you :)
    Your probably the only person who actually gave me an answer on my question lol some comments were vile...

I just wanted to know if i can get another one now that im six months,
    Ill talk to my relieving officer..cheers :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 321 ✭✭MrsA

Thank you :)
    Your probably the only person who actually gave me an answer on my question lol some comments were vile...

I just wanted to know if i can get another one now that im six months,
    Ill talk to my relieving officer..cheers :D

Can I just ask why the maternity clothes you bought earlier don't still fit? At 6 months you would not be that HUGE yet, and maternity clothes by their very nature expand.

I have used the same clothes through two full pregnancies!

MrsA wrote: »
    Can I just ask why the maternity clothes you bought earlier don't still fit? At 6 months you would not be that HUGE yet, and maternity clothes by their very nature expand.

I have used the same clothes through two full pregnancies!

Was a bit brutal in buying clothes at the start to be honest because at 3 months i had no bump so the stuff i bought wasnt that big.

Now at six months all that stuff i bought is getting too small and if i am entitled to it then damn sure im going to get it!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 321 ✭✭MrsA

Entitled is a horrible word, eligible sounds a lot better.

It is strange that there would be a payment at 3 months, nobody has a bump at 3 months!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,376 ✭✭✭metrovelvet

I wasn't all that big until about six months and I wore a lot of xxx large tee shirts. My biggest expense was bras because the boobs turned into zepplins and shoes were impossible, even men's shoes because of water retention. Until then I just wore empire style tops and had a couple of pairs of maternity jeans. I also had to buy an xxl coat for winter, so if you buy a coat now buy the BIGGEST ONE YOU CAN FIND. Go to Evans or one of those shops for big ladies.

Food will turn out to be your biggest expense. Wait and see. Its shocking.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,880 ✭✭✭caprilicious

When I was pregnant last year I bought several pairs of black leggings in Penneys for €2-4 each & paired them with a few oversized jumper dresses.

It didn't look as sloppy as I'm probably describing & lasted me the duration of the pregnancy (as well as the chubby few weeks after! :o)

The best of luck with the rest of your pregnancy.
    A baby is such a precious gift - regardless of how many €€€ are in your account ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,071 ✭✭✭gaeilgegrinds1

How do you get this grant?!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,862 ✭✭✭✭January

You have to be on one of the social welfare payments. Just visit the CWO for your area if you are.

• Advertisement

How do you get this grant?!!

Get a letter off your doc confirming your pregnant and your due date. leaveit in with your relieving officer and you will get a check for 150 in a few days

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement